Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: buying an airgun... help please

Somedude Guest

Question buying an airgun... help please

Hi,
    This is my first post here. Before asking your opinion, Ive looked around and tried to learn as much as possible about airguns...

First of all, I'd like to buy an airgun (pistol ), I can spend up to 200-250 $.

Right now, I'm not sure if I should buy a co2 airgun or springer (with one shots). Well, I thought that CO2s would be very convenient since I don't need to worry about cockin (for ~50 shots) But, I'm afraid that the shots will get weaker since the co2 concentration will be lower. Other than that, it will cost more. (but not much, powerletts aren't expensive)

On the other hand, some ppl recommended me Beeman P3, Daisy 747, or Beretta 92FS...

I need some advise please. Thanks a lot and sorry for this long post, but I don't wanna buy something bad as my first airgun...

Hi and welcome to the BBS.

I thing your choise should boil down to what exactly you want to do with your air pistol.

A CO2 multishot like the 92FS is great fun if you want to empty a 10+ magazine in a few seconds, peppering a "soft" target like a soda can or CD case.

On the other hand, if you want to fire single, aimed and more powerful shots, then a single stroke pneumatic/springer is the gun for you - in which case the Beeman P3/P1 would probably be your best choice. Pneumatics tend to be more accurate - "recoilless" - while springers tend to be more powerful, but with a bit of a kick.

I own both types of pistol, I find I tend to use my HW45 (P1) more frequently, to blast miscellaneous objects to smithereens with a single shot. - the CO2 multishot is more of a tension reliever or a fun toy when you have friends over for some informal plinking.

adam_thrower Guest
    I Had a Webley Tempest as a first pistol, and i cant fault it. well constructed and accurate. It is also a Spring pistol which i choose 99 times out of 100. i never got on with Co2 as i found the bulbs wore out too quickly, making consistant, accurate shooting a chore. As for a webley tempest, its £100 (whatever that is in dollars, 130 odd i think) if you will get hold of one easily overseas, i couldnt comment. Other more experienced gunners will point you in the right direction also regarding pistols.

Good luck

Ad

Somedude Guest
    I see...
    I cannot afford a P1 (I think it's around 400 $)

so it seems like my choice will depend on my needs. If I could find a pistol which would use C02 and be poweful, then it would be perfect

any other recommendations?

thanks...

The Anics Skif is a CO2 multishot, you'll get around 4 ft/lbs out of it, it looks the part, 28 shot magzine, within your budget too. I have one on order, it looks like a great gun. Not everyone shares this opinion but there are many satisfied users, you easily do a search.

http://www.bow-gun-hunting-sports.com/anics.htm

You might also want to look at the benjamin sheridan EB17/20, single shot CO2 powered pistols, also available as "pump-up" variants.

http://airgunsbbguns.com/benjamin-sheridanebe20.html

Another option would be the Baikal MP-651K. The power is slightly on the low side (around 2 ft/lbs) but still enough to punch through a can full of water - and you get 23 shots per magazine, single/double action, fully adjustable sights, and of course the option of turning your pistol into a handy little carbine.

http://www.phoenixguns.co.uk/sell/mp651k.htm#top
    Last edited by fullmetaljacket; 20-02-2004 at 04:26 AM.

Somedude Guest
    fullmetaljacket, you said that you are using your HW45 (P1) more frequently. I've just realized that they are the same pistols. I was confused. At some places, it's called Beeman P1, and some other places as Weihrauch HW45.

anyways, I think this is one of the best pistols, While I was reading old posts, I saw that many ppl like it.... If it's that good, powerful and accurate, I might forget about CO2 guns and spend some more money on this...

thanks again ppl, you guys are helping me a lot !

Tony T Guest
    One of the most fun co2 pistols has to be the crossman 2240.

Powerful, accurate and efficient in the way it uses gas.

Cheap for you and customising/ tuning parts are easily available.

HTH

Tony

Sorry I assumed you knew it was practically the same gun.

The HW45 was my first airgun, I bought it 4 years ago with the earnings from working part-time at burger king for a couple of weeks, it was a massive investment at the time - but well worth it. I've never had any problems with it, and it's had several thousand pellets through it.

A few things you should note:

At 11 inches in length and weighig in at 2.5 pounds, it's a heavy gun. Add that to the effort needed to cock it and it's not a gun for the weedy. If you are of slight built, it might be better to invest in the Beeman P3 (aka HW40) - less power but lighter, easier to cock, and recoilless so easier to shoot accuaretly.

If you buy the .177 version, it has 2 power settings - low and high. The low power is quieter and recoils less, ideal for shooting paper targets. However, if you adjust the sights for high power, then switch to lower power, you'll find the point of impact changes.

The gun is relatively quiet but it doesn't "whisper", you know when it's been fired. If you have sensitive neighbours something like the P3 is a better idea.

Beware of buying the "stainless" model, the silver finish is painted on and will flake after a few years of hard use, it isn't very attractive to look at in the first place. Besides, the black version with walnut grips is meant to simulate the classic Colt 45, and even though it's completely out of proportion, personally I love the feel of it. Incidentally, the grips are interchangeable with the Colt, so you can easily find a snazzy upgrade, especially if you live in the States.

The thing with CO2 is that once i've fitted a powerlet, I tend to want to use it up so as not to leave the gun full of gas. Most of the time, you only feel like firing a few shots, which is where a springer or pump up gun comes into its own.

Somedude Guest
    seems like we have a winner

but here comes another question

I think I can buy this gun in .177, .20, .22 and .25 calibres.

AFAIK, with .177, I'll have a higher fps, but less accuracy when shootung at long range ('coz it will lose energy more quickly). However, higher calibrates will be more powerful (in terms of damage) but slower (fps).
    And for this gun, I guess either .20 or .22 have only 1 cocking option which is a disadvantage.

so, is all this correct? and which caliber would be the best with this pistol (P1) ?

That's all basically correct. Mine's .177 and I can't comment about any other calibre.

What exactly do you mean when you say "damage"? Do you intend to use the pistol on something other than inanimate targets? If so, .177 versus .22 is a whole other debate. It's also considered questionable by most to shoot live targets with a pistol.

Also, what's your definition of "long range"? In practical terms, if you're trying to hit targets further than 45 feet away, you should be using a rifle. .177 is considered to be easier to shoot accurately, since the higher velocity gives it a flatter trajectory.

It also depends on how you chose to accesorise your pistol. The P1 has a dovetail that can fit a scope, and shooting it from rest will greatly enhance your accuracy - but personally, blasting stuff at close range (15-30 feet) with good old iron sights is what pistols are all about - just my humble opinion

Whatever you choose, remember that the barrel is easily removeable and replacements in different calibres can be purchased.

RemMag is offline We're getting married, Weevie and me.
    .177 is the most efficient calibre at this level of power, and you will find that it is more efficient at longer ranges, the heavier/larger pellets in the bigger calibres will slow down quicker and will have a more curved trajectory.

Alex

Somedude Guest
    I see...

I'm not planning to shoot on live targets. But I still want to see a hole on a coke can when shootin' 20-30 feet away

anyways, thanks again !

now, I need to search for the best price. btw. I guess, some companies do not send to some states. (I'm from Maryland).

(I found one at http://www.airgunexpress.com/ for 346 $.)

Darren Petts Guest
    If you want one buy the .177 version and a .22 barrel. The spare barrel will be around $30 or so and is easy enough to swap. The springs the same in all the variants to the best of my knowledge.

There's only 0.043 of an inch difference between .22 and .177, I doubt you can tell the difference - Fill the coke can with water, the spillage will let you know if you hit

Also don't forget, penetration is largely a factor of velocity rather than projectile mass, so if making holes in stuff is what you're after, .177 still sounds like a better idea again, just MHO.

MountainLyon Guest
    I bought a like new Santa Rosa P1 with combat grips (highly recomended) and a spare spring and seal kit and all paperwork for $250 U.S. including shipping, from an American Airguns classified ad. I have seen several used, good condition P1 newer models sell for $200 and I have read other buyers posts on how happy they are with them. The only springer pistol I like better is my Feinwerkbau 65 match pistol that I got used for $350, also on AA classifieds.