if i got a new bp revolver or pistol
    does i need reproofing/testing
    for use with triple 7 or
    can i use it straight away instead
    of black powder
    neil
    hawke sr12 remington bp revolver
    tikka t3 lite .223 leopuld 4x14x44 pr

Myself and many others have been using 777 for some time with no problems without seeking reproofing.
    Just bear in mind that 777 is about 25% more powerful than black powder so adjust your load accordingly.
    My load I like by VOLUME with my .44 Remington is 24g of 777. .36 Colt 12g 777, however recently I have gone over to using Pyrodex P in the Colt 15g of the Pyrodex gives the best results - just my findings..
    Pyrodex P same by volume as B/P.
    Why not try Pyrodex P? Much cheaper than 777.

Neil, as has already been said ther's no need for a re-proof to use any of the BP substitutes (Triple 7, Pyrodex) and with Triple 7 cut back on the load (in comparison to BP).

I use 15 grains by weight of Triple 7 fffg in my .44 to good effect.

I do everything by weight 'cause I can't get my head around volume measurements and I'm used to weight for my centrefire reloading.

Hodgdons say reduce load by 15% by volume for equiv to BP.

Its a bit unscientific as a comparison, 777 burns faster and breech pressures are slightly higher but still well within spec for use in BP firearms.

I am using 12gr by vol (17gr by wt) in my 44 with a 200gr conical but I have had better in the past with higher load so still have some work to do. Going to increase a bit and hope for a flatter trajectory. The lighter load worked well with a lighter round ball but I was wary of the increased pressure with a heavier bullet.

I think its important that anyone considering trying m/l does not see it as some sort of black art, its not its easy and fun. It is no more technical than reloading cartridges. Just a case of finding the right powder and bullet combination to suit your shooting and your own gun.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane