Thread: Curious : Does anyone use or has used a single stroke pneumatic for target shooting?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Yes the Diana 100 is (was)designed to be a 10 metre rifle. MV is in the region of 580 fps. Not designed to produce your normal 12ft lbs, because as has been stated earlier, wadcutter 177's like to travel at that speed best.
    The reason could be their highly un-aerodynamic front, which is primarily intended to punch clean holes on paper targets, this might cause stability problems if the velocity is increased too much. These problems might not be so evident for general shooting situations(+or- a few millimetres), but for competitive 10 metre shooting, it makes a world of difference.
    I stand corrected but I think that the reason that the velocity is kept around the 600 fps mark is because it is the best compromise between a reasonable pellet exit time from typically a 10 to 13 inch barrel, and low speed stability dictated by its shape.

Quote Originally Posted by dvd View Post
    Yes the Diana 100 is (was)designed to be a 10 metre rifle. MV is in the region of 580 fps. Not designed to produce your normal 12ft lbs, because as has been stated earlier, wadcutter 177's like to travel at that speed best.
    The reason could be their highly un-aerodynamic front, which is primarily intended to punch clean holes on paper targets, this might cause stability problems if the velocity is increased too much. These problems might not be so evident for general shooting situations(+or- a few millimetres), but for competitive 10 metre shooting, it makes a world of difference.
    I stand corrected but I think that the reason that the velocity is kept around the 600 fps mark is because it is the best compromise between a reasonable pellet exit time from typically a 10 to 13 inch barrel, and low speed stability dictated by its shape.
    Very interesting. Thanks dvd.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Thanks

Thanks all for the replies.

I'm a curious b***er and like to know why something is better or worse than something else for a particular purpose This has been explained fully by your replies with regard to the differences between guns made specifically for 10m target and general purpose airguns.

Thanks again all
    Regards
    Dave (www.kwacs.org.uk) "Wildfowlers do it in the mud"