Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
Fascinating inside info wonky, thank you.

I've often wondered how far the top level match shooters would go to select their pellets - maybe even down to microscopic level to guarantee a blemish free lead surface and perfectly true flight?
No, believe it or not once the batch is selected, they are used straight from the tin with just a visual check normally. Alot of shooters won't accept this statement, but, "There is nothing you can do to individual pellets to make them shoot a tighter group", ie sizing, lube etc. Selecting pellets from a batch for size & weight may well help at extended ranges but it's marginal, there's alot more to it than that! If the batch does not suit your gun then picking pellets of the same size & weight or resizing, relube etc, from within that batch will not give you the results your after!!

I will give you one instance though, of how beneficial it is IF you have the ability required;

Some years ago, Chris Hecter, many times Briish Champion 10m, asked if I would test his FWB & his pellets, I set the test up & concluded with the best will in the world he would not be able to score over 588 ex 600, to which he replied, "well 588 is the highest I'm shooting at the moment"

His rifle was fine so I set about finding a good batch of pellets for him out of about 150 batch's that wasn't too hard!

I gave him a batch of RWS R10s that he used the next week in the British championshios at Aldersley, Score 592 & a new British Record at that time!

Sorry for going on using 100 words when 20 will do, but I've spent the best part of 30yrs batch testing with air guns & I could just go on & on &.