Thread: Smk 36

Smk 36

Hello everyone,
    This rifle is not actually mine but as I am the first to use it since it was brought last month I think it's fine for me to pass on my views.
    Out of the box my first impression was formed by it's size & weight. I have been using QB78's and it is longer and much heavier. I don't think this is a rifle for a youngster of small build.
    The rifle came with a manual and a spare "blade" for the foresight. The manual is adequate but could be better. The photos have poor contrast. I wonder if anybody reads theirs? It does have a handy diagram and parts list at the rear of it so that's good.
    There were some marks on the stock about halfway along on one side. This seems to be caused by the stock rubbing on the cardboard box. I think it a good idea if SMK were to put some bubble wrap between the two surfaces or at least a polythene bag on the gun. A small niggle but it would stop marks occurring. However with a little elbow grease and Mr. Sheen it was soon gone. The stock looked good to me and the rubber recoil pad is nicely fitted. After a polish the stock looks very nice to my eyes.
    The rifle's metal work is where I think the side is let down. There was a small amount of rust on the receiver but this was small fry compared to the filth found inside the chamber. I found a nasty compound that seemed to be made of pulped paper mixed with rust. Lots of it around the hole for the pellet!
    I cleaned this away with meths and a few tooth picks and after a light coating of oil it looks OK but if one paid hundreds of £'s for the gun I'd be most upset! As it is an "el cheapo" I'd let it go and clean it myself.
    There is something un-nerving about that shiny cylinder being open and having one's fingers inside picking away at all the crud etc so I used a piece of wood to hold it back in case the safety mechanism failed.
    Around the under lever at pivot was a lot of old dried out grease. Similar to earwax after probing with a paper clip! (I am doctor and don't pick your ears!). I removed this with a little meths'.
    I then removed the metal work from the stock. Easily done as there are just four screws. All four were quite loose
    I oiled the cocking mechanism pivots and then gave everything a wipe over with a cloth oiled with Abbey gun oil. The metal work looked much better after that. Reassembly was easy.
    The barrel was pulled through with a home made affair. Fishing line and old boxer shorts (washed of course!) cut into thin lengths. The barrel did not seem to be dirty.
    This all took me about an hour and to my eye the gun looked so much better than before. I know one expects a new rifle to be perfect but the cost of the rifle I don't think it's too much of a task to do the above but that's up to you
    Shooting the thing:
    Well it is heavy and long but feels comfortable if a tad muzzle heavy. I think you may get tired shooting this all day if you only shot from a standing position. Also if lugging it about all day in a field perhaps a sling would make carrying easier.
    Cocking is not hard and with the standard length rifle you have plenty of leverage. It has an "anti-bear" trap device fitted and when the gun was separated it looked as if it was quite secure. It has a positive feel about it too. Behind the trigger is a small lever that you push forward to return the cocking lever to its resting place. The catch is a small steel ball sprung and I also lubed this a little. With the pellet chamber open you insert a pellet. Or not
    The blasted hole is not big enough! Getting pellet in is a hard job and that nasty steel trap a few inches away I do not want to hang about in there.
    I used a very fine cone shaped stone to gently rub a little metal away. This worked a treat and now the pellet goes in much easily. Why do SMK not see this?
    The safety catch is automatically on after loading and again there is a small lever but in front of the trigger. This seems like a good idea to me.
    Upon taking aim and nudging the safety catch forward I am ready to shoot.
    The sights are straightforward and easily adjusted. Nothing fancy but workman-like and serviceable.
    My, the trigger is sensitive I'd prefer a more weighty pull others may not. There is an impressive "thwack" and after weeks of shooting CO2 guns a hefty recoil. What a racket it makes. Most rabbits will hear you coming a mile away....
    I have no chrono' etc so I can't give velocities or power but compared to my rifles it seems similar in power. I use my wine bottle test. What does it do to a claret bottle at 15 yards?! I wonder if the loud "thwack" and recoil make some think it is more powerful than it really is? That said I am sure it has potential to be tuned.
    However, after twenty or so pellets I got used to the noise and recoil and began to like the SMK a little. I set about shooting at one of those handy knock-down duck targets which you have to hit the last metal disc to pop-up the fallen ones. This I did with ease at 15yds with iron sights. I did get a little tired of the weight so I had to kneel a little. I did do a few prone shots but I find it awkward cocking the rifle that way.
    That just about sums up my use so far. Later on I fitted a Hawke 4 x 32 scope although I have not shot with it yet. The combo' look great and to my eye it looks a neat outfit.
    To conclude I think you get good value for money (my colleague paid £80.00 new) and with a little TLC it looks more expensive than the price. Aesthetics apart it seems to shoot OK and I think a more experienced enthusiast than I would do quite well with it. To my eye it's a handsome rifle and worth a punt at £80.00 or there abouts. However, if i had to choose I'd rather have my QB78 as the weight is much less.
    I have been given some info' on making the chamber/piston/trigger operation smoother. I will attempt them soon and update you and see what transpires.
    regards,
    Alan

Thumbs up Good stuff

Good review. Alan. The chinese stuff may not be to everybody's taste but your review was very informative.

Just one minor thing; A few more paragraphs and white-space wouldn't go amiss.

Apologies

My apologies Weevie
    I am used to making everything easy to understand as my colleagues are a bit dim at work, doctors y'know
    But thanks for the compliment.
    regards,
    Alan

Thanks for the review. I cant seem to find these rifles for sale anywhere - this particular model anyway. Any ideas where I can view on line?

Cheapest I Found

Check out this place. I have used them, very straightforward, for my QB78's and pellets etc. They have several websites, a bit confusing but this is the one I use.

http://www.nmproducts.net/smk-super-...ml?cPath=22_30

He seems to be cheap on everything especially CO2.
    regards,
    Alan
    Last edited by London177; 09-08-2007 at 07:51 PM.

Thanks Alan, I'll have a look.

Regards

John.

Quote Originally Posted by zobby View Post
    Thanks for the review. I cant seem to find these rifles for sale anywhere - this particular model anyway. Any ideas where I can view on line?
    Quote Originally Posted by London177 View Post
    Check out this place. I have used them, very straightforward, for my QB78's and pellets etc. They have several websites, a bit confusing but this is the one I use.

http://www.nmproducts.net/smk-super-...ml?cPath=22_30

He seems to be cheap on everything especially CO2.
    regards,
    Alan
    I find this one the easiest to navigate and usually the most up to date:

http://www.nmpairrifles.co.uk/index.php

I`m lead to believe that the carbine XS36-1 has the leather piston seal and the XS36-2 has the synthetic one.Don`t know for sure as I`ve resisted the screwdrivers so far

Also found this on my travels if your interested in the XS36:

http://www.warrenswigwam.com/Airgun/AirgunMain.htm

I really need to get out more

Good Link

Thanks for the link to the strip down. Very interesting and helpful. I will post the odd photo soon.
    regards,
    Alan