Thread: Info on Black powder pistols

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Recently been extolling the use of conicals and they did compare well with the commercial balls I had been using but.

I just brought a ball mold and cast some, coz I can, and gave them a try on tuesday. What an improvment, groups come down from a raggy 8" to a crisp 4". Bearing in mind my eyes are only good for 3" this is getting close to what I would hope for.

These balls are a bit rough when compared to factory "swaged" one so I was more than a little surprised.

I have put down the improvment to softer purer lead. They push in dead easy so I thought they might be a tad smaller but they mike up as .455" so cant be that different. Lubed with alox.

I'm still using 12gr by vol 777 and an 1/8" wad but would like a bit thicker.
    This gives a gentle let off so I can hold over better.
    “If a cricketer, for instance, suddenly decided to go into a school and batter a lot of people to death with a cricket bat, which he could do very easily, I mean, are you going to ban cricket bats?” :- Prince Philip said after Dunblane

Upper Buggersdale, top of the Chevin near Leeds
    Smokeless Coal, try a Pietta Remington Competition in stainless .44 cal and see your groups shrink at 25 yards.

I have tried a Colt but couldn't hold better than 8". I regularly achieve 3", 5 shot groups or less at 25 yards with the Remington and commercial balls using pyrodex.