Thread: Leupold MK4 3-9x36 MR/T M1 TMR

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram

Leupold MK4 3-9x36 MR/T M1 TMR

I really wanted a Leupold 3-9x33 EFR for HFT but found that I just couldn't get a true mil-dot, or even better, half mil-dot/TMR reticle fitted. After a lot of research and agonising I plumped on taking a gamble on the MK4. I discounted some of the higher mag LR/T models after hearing a few concerns about px error. My rationale being that this would have to be re-parallaxed to a lesser degree hoping that working closer to it's design specs would possibly give less error. To be fair I took a blind punt and hoped for the best. It's actually a discontinued model as the new Leupold line up includes a 2.5-8x36 and not a 3-9. How much difference there is between them I don't know but suspect that it may just be a renaming of the same scope.
    I have had the scope about a month now and am confident enough to comment on many aspects of the scope but not all. Depth of field is phenomenal. Sadly the scope is not PA adjustable (If it had this feature I suspect that there may not be many better HFT scopes) so it needed to be re-parallaxed. This turned out to be very easy. Baby boas made short work of the very lightly loctited locking ring. It cracked with bare minimum pressure.
    I have had fun and games trying to establish the optimum setting for the px. I can get 8-35 yards but it leaves 45 distinctly blurry. In the end I plumped for further which gives me 13-50+ yards as perfectly usable. I went for this compromise as I like doing the long range HFT as you find at events like the DWB Anglo-American. Below 13 yard targets are acceptable naturally getting worse the closer they get. I'm still confident that I can make out a kill zone on an 8 yard target.
    Optical quality is naturally very good. I didn't really appreciate how much better than the norm a Leupold would be until I spent some serious time with it. I'm a little perturbed that I'm going to end up dissatisfied with some of my cheaper scopes after using the Leupold.
    The reticle is a TMR, Tactical Milling Reticle, basically the Leupold name for a half mil-dot ret. Labelling it as mil-dot isn't strictly accurate as it does not feature dots at all, just lines of different widths. Full size lines indicate a full mil-radian increment and half width mark the half mil-radian points. I've found that this is making bracketing a much more accurate affair. One thing I am finding a little strange is that the centre point of the reticle doesn't actually coincide in the familiar cross hair style. It is a little disconcerting in use after so many years using scopes that do come to a very definite central point. One potential advantage I can see in this arrangement is that your target isn't ever obscured. It makes for easier paper zeroing sessions.
    A negative point (can also be a positive point when it comes to accurate bracketing) that I have already noticed with this reticle is that it's very fine. Where you are looking at targets with excellent clarity this isn't an issue. As you push the range, especially in difficult lighting conditions, it can be a little awkward discerning some of the markings. I suspect that practise, familiarity or possibly fine tuning the px setting may minimise this minor quibble. At the moment I'm not finding the reticle as easy or instant in use as I previously have with mil-dots. Again, I suspect that familiarity and practise will pay dividends in this respect.
    As far as build quality is concerned, it's a Leupold, I expect it to be good and thankfully it is. Mechanicals are smooth and positive and it appears to be built to last.
    The only aspect of this scope of which I'm not entirely certain as yet is the dreaded px error. I have shot with it in competition and did horrendously badly. Sadly I can't define if the scope was at fault. I can say with certainty that the owner most definitely was as my windage was found to be out by a good 9 clicks. I'm shocked that I managed to hit anything! The rifle also ended up in pieces after the event for the tender ministrations of Scooby. (thanks Pete) I knew it was a bad idea to compete with a new rifle, new scope and new pellets in one hit, especially as my usual rig was sitting unused and unloved in the boot of the car! To this end I can't really comment on the px error in use. I'm only noticing the hint of px error at the closest ranges where I'm never entirely sure about the precise spot I'm shooting at anyway. Hopefully I'll be able to nail this issue in the coming weeks but so far it's not obviously worse that any other scope I've encountered.

In conclusion, will it improve my scores? I seriously doubt it, I simply make too many errors and don't practise enough to seriously compete with the best. As I've already commented I suspect that my rangefinding will improve marginally. Is it better than many of the alternatives? Maybe, but it's probably too expensive and too awkward to procure for most to bother. Is it perfect? Almost definitely not, but until a US or German company renowned for superb optics makes a scope that is genuinely intended to fulfil the criteria of HFT or the Chinese get up to speed with their optics, I doubt perfect will be attainable. Even when this does happen you can guarantee that no one will agree anyway! As it stands it's floating my boat so far, I'll happily conceded that this position may change in time.

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL128.../271067942.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL128.../271067938.jpg

http://pic20.picturetrail.com/VOL128.../271067935.jpg
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

TARGETZERO is offline Birds just leave me...but they always come back

Thumbs up

good review chris,this part reminded me of a scope i nearley sold,but glad i never>>> it can be a little awkward discerning some of the markings. I suspect that practise, familiarity or possibly fine tuning the px setting may minimise this minor quibble. ive got a valdada,the field of view is excellent for me,it has a simlar ret to the lupe it took me a long time to actually get use to it,but i stuck with it. And i wouldnt part with it now as you say above abit of practise will sort it out for you

kieran turner is offline I GOT SHOT......IN THE BUTTOCKS
    Excellent review Chris!

Also as a side note this could well be the PERFECT HFT scope, Idon't make that statement lightly! It really is an excellent piece of kit (as are all leups) but only time will tell, It would be nice one day to get all the most popular HFT scopes together with aload of people and make a proper analysis on which is the best!

So far I think the front runners are the Elite 3200, EB and Brian's EFR with Gen. 2 mildot!

Superb review Chris,your new outfit looks absolutely lovely.

Were you referring to your recent poor score at Anston ?
    I thought I heard you berating yourself at the zeroing shed

Leupolds are really nice scopes - I wish I never let my real Leups go
    I had a premier reticle 6.5 - 20 which I think would have been VERY hard to beat for HFT - but your new Leup looks to be very interesting.
    Life without happiness is no life at all.

Quote Originally Posted by kieranhw100 View Post
    Excellent review Chris!

Also as a side note this could well be the PERFECT HFT scope, Idon't make that statement lightly! It really is an excellent piece of kit (as are all leups) but only time will tell, It would be nice one day to get all the most popular HFT scopes together with aload of people and make a proper analysis on which is the best!

So far I think the front runners are the Elite 3200, EB and Brian's EFR with Gen. 2 mildot!
    brians luep i tink is perfect, only problem is finding one otherwise this will be my next scope
    ford focus. 133bhp 262ft/ib of torque
    anshutz 8002
    RIVINGTON RIFLEMEN & WENDOVER FTC

Excellent review Chris!
    Thanks Kieran.

Also as a side note this could well be the PERFECT HFT scope, Idon't make that statement lightly!
    I know you said it and I've omitted it from the quote for brevity. Only time will tell. I suspect that someone with greater ability than myself using one will help too.

Quote Originally Posted by markmac View Post
    Superb review Chris,your new outfit looks absolutely lovely.

Were you referring to your recent poor score at Anston ?
    I thought I heard you berating yourself at the zeroing shed
    Yup, that's the one. Using a new scope on a new rifle shooting new pellets was a really bad idea. Hopefully I've got my horrendous windage error sorted now. I guess I'll find out next weekend!

Quote Originally Posted by ross H View Post
    brians luep i tink is perfect, only problem is finding one otherwise this will be my next scope
    Bri's Leup may well be perfect but I suspect there's more chance of finding the holy grail than finding another like it now that Premier Reticles won't play ball.

Anyone wanting a look is perfectly welcome to ambush me at the competitions. Just don't read too much into my scores with it. It isn't likely to be the scopes fault!
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Quote Originally Posted by Andy_J View Post
    Excellent review Chris. I'd like a look through that next time if I may?
    Of course you may.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

For those interested the model number is 60055.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Just listed a brand spanker in the Optics Sales but with the Duplex Reticule.

Nice write up Chris, i should have my new toy next week

Pete

looking at this scope, i was thinking it would make an excellent choice for a friends classic deer rifle. compact, reliable with the high turrets so he could dial in the shot, and a reticle that would make it easy to hold for wind.

how much are they going for in the UK?

Quote Originally Posted by flims View Post
    how much are they going for in the UK?
    about twice the price that you can get them from the US.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Litts about £800.