Thread: Most Tastiest Recoilless Match Springer

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration

Most Tastiest Recoilless Match Springer

Not that I have any of these, but someone showed me their Anschutz LG380 (I think) and it has to be the ultimate development of the spring powered thing.

Wot you lot think?

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    Not that I have any of these, but someone showed me their Anschutz LG380 (I think) and it has to be the ultimate development of the spring powered thing.

Wot you lot think?
    That was my LG380 you fired bud and I'm pretty sure you had a go with a 220 as well.

Most match springer buffs seem to think the LG380 was the pinnacle of spring match guns, coming as it did right at the end of their development just before the SSPs took over for the next decade. But the FWB300 series is often said to be the most impressive all-rounder and slightly better finished than the LG380, which has more plastic.

Personally I love the LG380. Its balance is so good it feel lighter than it is and its compact size just makes it feel right in the shoulder.

The historical anomaly in this subject (if that's the right word?) is that Walther already had a highly successful SSP on the market, the LGR, for several years before the final Anschutz springer was even launched. So Walther were ahead of the times and Anschutz behind them and although an LG380 was used to win the women's 10m gold in the 1984 olympics, the recoilless springers had already been out-designed in the previous decade.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    ..Above link posted with permission from Gareth W-B
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

wobbly45 Guest
    Hi
    I did start filling out a reply to this before but cancelled it, thought i may have come across a prat going on about a 37 year old springer (my rifle). But for me it has to be the FWB300 I think everyone should have a go of one. For a springer it is just another animal. At the club or when i meet people i have sold items to face to face, we get talking about rifles and i bring out the FWB300 When they have had a shot of it every one is amazed at the performance of it. Yes i know the new PCP things are amazing, i have some in my collection but you just have to try one. By the way any body got a FWB 65, 80, 90 pistl I NEED one!

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Garvin View Post
    That was my LG380 you fired bud and I'm pretty sure you had a go with a 220 as well.

The historical anomaly in this subject (if that's the right word?) is that Walther already had a highly successful SSP on the market, the LGR.
    Maybe the LGR had balance issues or was not reliable enough for the hardcore paperpunchers to practise 500 rounds a week on? Also isn't it a bit of a sod to cock?

The LG380 is BEAUTIFUL. I might even have a look for one once I have finished my collection cull. How much did you pay for that one?

atb

Alistair

wobbly45 Guest

Fwb300

I had a FWB 300 in 1981. You get a family and tend to move things on (sob, sob!). After quite a long break i just HAD to get another, ended up up getting one from Free Ads. (what has happened to Free Ads?). I paid £170 for it which was fine by me. The cocking action on a FWB 300? Well i would describe as easy and smooth.

Quote Originally Posted by wobbly45 View Post
    I had a FWB 300 in 1981. You get a family and tend to move things on (sob, sob!). After quite a long break i just HAD to get another, ended up up getting one from Free Ads. (what has happened to Free Ads?). I paid £170 for it which was fine by me. The cocking action on a FWB 300? Well i would describe as easy and smooth.
    A lot of people who have one and get rid of it sooner or later get hit with a powerful urge to find another one.
    Vintage Airguns Gallery
    In British slang an anorak is a person who has a very strong interest in niche subjects.

Lg380

The LG380 certainly looks like a 300S clone. Does it have the same sled system as the 300S or does it use the Anschutz hydraulic system?

I would add my admiration of the 300S and in particular the "Junior" which I find easier to shoot, being less front heavy. I recently sold one of my older 300S Match models to a fellow club member and he cannot put it down!

Mike95

Quote Originally Posted by Mike95 View Post
    The LG380 certainly looks like a 300S clone. Does it have the same sled system as the 300S or does it use the Anschutz hydraulic system?

I would add my admiration of the 300S and in particular the "Junior" which I find easier to shoot, being less front heavy. I recently sold one of my older 300S Match models to a fellow club member and he cannot put it down!

Mike95
    The LG380 has a sled system like the 300S but it's concealed within the barrel shroud and the cylinder. Some cutaway pics HERE, HERE, HERE and HERE.

All you can see when it fires is the compression cylinder at the breech move backwards, unless you're looking from the target end, where you can see the barrel move back into the shroud.

Vintage Airguns Gallery

Lg380

Thank you for that info. Not as interesting as watching the sled slide backwards! I have had queues watching the 300S from behind the shooting position and asking me if I knew the action was moving in the stock!!

Mike95

Recoiless springers

Anything with one piston is bound to recoil, what the shooter feels is another thing. A sliding action is a simple yet highly effective aid to accuracy.
    I love the mechanical solutions that the top airgun makers came up with to get over the problems of recoil and low velocity.
    In the case of two piston air guns, that's where the really clever stuff starts to shine.They are the true recoilless springers.
    In my opinion, two opposing pistons canceling each other out, takes the top prize for mechanical brilliance in recoilless springers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike95 View Post
    Thank you for that info. Not as interesting as watching the sled slide backwards! I have had queues watching the 300S from behind the shooting position and asking me if I knew the action was moving in the stock!!

Mike95
    To prove your point Mike: see HERE (video of LG380 firing)

Agree with dvd, only the opposing piston match guns are truly recoilless and flat to shoot. Not only was it genius to invent this system but, at least with the Dianas, they managed to make the production cost low too. It's often said that Diana lost the marketing battle against FWB and also delays with getting the sidelever 75 to market cost them dear.
    Last edited by Garvin; 13-08-2007 at 05:43 PM. Reason: more info
    Vintage Airguns Gallery

Bury,Lancashire, about 12 miles north of Mancheste

Opposed piston springers

There are two Original 75 Giss system 10m rifles in fairly regular use at Dukinfield and they shoot groups comparable with all the others. DM80 on this forum can sort out new seals and servicing for these.