Thread: MTC Viper 10x44

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!

MTC Viper 10x44

My first review so please bear with me as I have a fondness for waffle!

I received this yesterday after Sammie had gotten it from the warehouse (it arrived from customs about 10 hours before it was sent) and sent it to me via an express courier. As with my 3x12x42 Viper when I opened the box there were all the extra's, plus an extra ring for the flip ups and an extra Allen key.

As the B-Square mounts I wanted are yet to arrive I used the ones in the box to attach the scope to my MK3, I didn't have a screw driver to hand so used a penny - top tip if your tool box is as disorganised as mine! Previously I'd not been keen on these but was able get a decent amount of torque on the mounts and know they won't fall off! Although as soon as my posh silver ones come I'll be replacing them.

Off to the range! The first thing I did was adjust the focus ring on the eye bell, as my eye sight is poor at best I've struggled with other scopes losing the cross hair or it blurring out. As with my other Viper once adjusted this wasn't an issue.

The flips ups were a lot stiffer than my other Viper but I'm sure they'll work loose or get bent out of shape like my others! The turrets were a little stiff but that gave me confidence that the turrets won't come loose in my bag also if I'm coaching kids at the club and they want to mess with my settings they'll struggle!

My favourite thing about this scope is the px - sad I know! After zeroing the new combo with the px set at about 35 yards I started to play around. I like to have 45 yard targets just beginning to blur, as it gives my dodgy eyes the best chance at making out the 8 yard targets and the long ones. The px wheel is set at approx 20 yards and the picture is loads clearer than my other Viper, which I'd expect as there are fewer lenses in this one.

Out of interest I wanted to compare it with the 2 other fixed mag scopes I had with me at the range - an EB Sniper which I'm selling for a club member and a Falcon Menace which is on Andrea's S400 and is probably the nearest competitor on price and performance. I preferred the Falcon and MTC to the EB as the image and cross hair seemed that little bit sharper to me, I prefer the ret's on them too. The Falcon is a corking scope for the money and the depth of field is loads better than my 3x12x44 Viper when px'd how I like.

The one I'll be keeping on MK3 is the 10x44 Viper as I can see the close targets clearer than with the Falcon when focused how I like. Andrea was the total opposite and found her Menace best so its really a case of try before you buy as every pair of eyes is different. I was glad we won't look like a sad couple with his and hers guns and scopes!

I'm not sure if the optics in my scope are any different but this scope is loads better than my other Viper for clarity and over all picture quality, I'd like to compare it to others. The only scopes I've looked through that are better than this are a Leup and a Schmidt & Bender. It certainly seems a better optical image than any other MTC scope I've looked through yet, I'll probably stick one on top of my .177 HW100 as well.

If you haven't yet and would like to have a look through one of these, I'm more than happy to offer my rifle up for you to peek through at any HFT comp I'm at or at Kibworth when I'm there. I'm overall really pleased with it and look forward to beating Woody with his FT gun when it's used in anger for the first time next week!

Ryan
    Last edited by Charlts; 17-08-2007 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Spelling And Grammar!
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

Quote Originally Posted by Charlts View Post
    My first review so please bear with me as I have a fondness for waffle!

I received this yesterday after Sammie had gotten it from the warehouse (it arrived from customs about 10 hours before it was sent) and sent it to me via an express courier. As with my 3x12x42 Viper when I opened the box there were all the extra's, plus an extra ring for the flip ups and an extra Allen key.

As the B-Square mounts I wanted are yet to arrive I used the ones in the box to attach the scope to my MK3, I didn't have a screw driver to hand so used a penny - top tip if your tool box is as disorganised as mine! Previously I'd not been keen on these but was able get a decent amount of torque on the mounts and know they won't fall off! Although as soon as my posh silver ones come I'll be replacing them.

Off to the range! The first thing I did was adjust the focus ring on the eye bell, as my eye sight is poor at best I've struggled with other scopes losing the cross hair or it blurring out. As with my other Viper once adjusted this wasn't an issue.

The flips ups were a lot stiffer than my other Viper but I'm sure they'll work lose or get bent out of shape like my others! The turrets were a little stiff but that gave me confidence that the turrets won't come loose in my bag also if I'm coaching kids at the club and they want to mess with my settings they'll struggle!

My favourite thing about this scope is the px - sad I know! After zeroing the new combo with the px set at about 35 yards I started to play around. I like to have 45 yard targets just beginning to blur, as it gives my dodgy eyes the best chance at making out the 8 yard targets and the long ones. The px wheel is set at approx 20 yards and the picture is loads clearer than my other Viper, which I'd expect as there are fewer lenses in this one.

Out of interest I wanted to compare it with the 2 other fixed mag scopes I had with me at the range - an EB Sniper which I'm selling for a club member and a Falcon Menace which is on Andreas S400 and is probably the nearest competitor on price and performance. I preferred the Falcon and MTC to the EB as the image and cross hair seemed that little bit sharper to me. The Falcon is a corking scope for the money and the depth of field is loads better than my 3x12x44 Viper when px'd how I like.

The one I'll be keeping on MK3 is the 10x44 Viper as I can see the close targets clearer than with the Falcon when focused how I like. Andrea was the total opposite and found her Menace best so its really a case of try before you buy as every pair of eyes is different. I was glad we won't look like a sad couple with his and hers guns and scopes!

I'm not sure if the optics in my scope are any different but this scope is loads better than my other Viper for clarity and over all picture quality, I'd like to compare it to others. The only scopes I've looked through that are better than this are a Leup and a Schmidt & Bender. It certainly seems a better optical image than any other MTC scope I've looked through yet, I'll probably stick one on top of my .177 HW100 as well.

If you haven't yet and would like to have a look through one of these, I'm more than happy to offer my rifle up for you to peek through at any HFT comp I'm at or at Kibworth when I'm there. I'm overall really pleased with it and look forward to beating Woody with his FT gun when it's used in anger for the first time next week!

Ryan
    good review ryan
    ford focus. 133bhp 262ft/ib of torque
    anshutz 8002
    RIVINGTON RIFLEMEN & WENDOVER FTC

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!

Update

I was at the farm all afternoon/evening yesterday with a lad from the club on his first hunt. I was able to use the scope effectively until just past dusk, then I used my lamping rig.

I'll update on how it performs next week at the Kibworth open. Although I don't think it'll be anything but awesome. It'll take a very special scope to better this for less than £200.

Ryan
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!