Thread: Long range airgun shooting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Baldie View Post
    I would have thought trying to get a 1" group with any [light] projectile at 100 yards using air gun speeds would have been an exercise in futility if there were any sort of breeze or wind.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    I've also hunted for years out to 80 yards and watched small wind variances move the pellets. I have NO problem with people claiming super accurate technique, super accurate guns, perfect pellets. Way beyond my ability - but that's no reason to decry it. It's the wind that stops you being able to produce that perfect shot to order.

Harry asserts you can read the wind. I say you can't at that distance. I have a grand that says that nobody else can.
    Quote Originally Posted by figjam View Post
    all this talk of windless conditions, bolox!! the whole point is it doesnt matter what the wind is but say you go oout tomorrow and put up a yd square sheet of paper at 100 yds, draw a dot near the top, all your doing is aiming at the dot! doesnt matter if the pellets strikes 2 feet below the dot and the 7mph wind blows the pellet 16 inches to the left, the point is if the rifle is shooting consistantly at a known power, the pellets are reasonable all the same with no visual damage or impairments and the wind remains at 7mph and the rifle is shot from the same position every time!

you could do it canting the rifle at 30 degrees if you liked or even upside down, but as long as the 5 shot group all all shot in the exact same position and the constants are all the same!

by constants i mean anything that could alter the flight or trajectory of the pellet!

There's nothing constant about wind, and over 100 yards to 150 yards, I'd expect a couple of variations over the route. How can anyone 'read' two or three different speeds of something that's invisible and remote?

In these conditions it would be hard (if not impossible) to get an HMR round [20grn] travelling at 2500fps to group inside an inch at 150 yards. It may well be capable of it in still air, (just), but in even light (variable) wind?

As I suggested, it would need something like the inside of an aircraft hangar [windless] to prove the air rifle/pellet combination was even a possibility at producing sub inch groups around 100+ yards.

I'd be interested to hear about ANY air rifle/pellet combination that could better an HMR in accuracy, and so would most FAC shooters.

In that light, I'd say Gary needn't worry much about paying out on his challenge any time soon.
    To be good, one must do good.

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    Depending on your skill at shooting it a 30ftlb rifle will extend your range considerably, plus of course much more hitting power, ignore people that say it only gives you a few yards extra, either they cant get an FAC or they cant shoot usually

I have humanely despatched rabbits in excess of 100yds with one in the right conditions and that aint BS its fact although the Ripley I was using was over 30ftlb, 80yds will be no problem if its a calm day
    Case in point
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by baz
    Depending on your skill at shooting it a 30ftlb rifle will extend your range considerably, plus of course much more hitting power, ignore people that say it only gives you a few yards extra, either they cant get an FAC or they cant shoot usually

I have humanely despatched rabbits in excess of 100yds with one in the right conditions and that aint BS its fact although the Ripley I was using was over 30ftlb, 80yds will be no problem if its a calm day

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Case in point

That day it felt to be wind free, my ex was reading ranges off LRF and I first took a marker shot then used aiming mark to aim off as there was a bit of wind, the Rabbits died humanely, the rifle (Ripley XL25) was shooting Bismags just below speed of sound
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

There is no such thing as free speech on this forum, its privately owned and you get to say what is allowed, anything that falls foul of the admins guidelines gets deleted, email Edward if you want
    Baz

One thing Richard, nobody has seen Harry shoot the groups he claims, but quite a few have seen me shoot in past years, and thousands have seen TD shoot over the years, Ben, as far as I know hasnt made any claims

And theres quite a few that see Gary shooting in HFT in the present time

As for the 150yd groups, I would just take the correct type of gun, easy peasy
    Baz

When the article first appeared I read it with interest.

The guy came across as reasonably pleasant and polite in both the article and in his subsequent posts on here.

But most amazingly of all, how did the editor of one of the worlds's leading airgun circulars get suckered into writing such an article. Where was the due diligence, who corroborated the story and if the story does prove to be untrue, are heads going to roll?

We need answers; now!

Quote Originally Posted by conor1 View Post
    But most amazingly of all, how did the editor of one of the worlds's leading airgun circulars get suckered into writing such an article. Where was the due diligence, who corroborated the story and if the story does prove to be untrue, are heads going to roll?

We need answers; now!
    Nigel considered the article to be within the magazine's publishing remit. Some articles are presented as discussion subjects, and this is one of them. A sort of 'what do you think of this, then?' type piece. As such, it's certainly worked for some on here.