Thread: Long range airgun shooting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry's Lad View Post
    I've just run the numbers through ChairGun(3) using the data available.
    I ran my .22 Baraccudas through a chrono'. Are you saying that ChairGun outranks that method, Dave?

Just curious, really.

The thing is, we don't know what conditions Harry was shooting under, apart from the 4,000ft elevation. Vaguely remembered from my flight training the density altitude ( which is what the pellet sees ) is derived from some other stuff like humidity and the pressure altitude ( rather than simply height above sea level )

I don't know how much difference this would make, but I personally would be inclined to trust TD's chrono, no offence Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    I ran my .22 Baraccudas through a chrono'. Are you saying that ChairGun outranks that method, Dave?
    Just curious, really.
    Of course not – the use of a chrono is essential for the intelligent use of ChairGun or any other ballistics software. ChairGun (or any other …) won’t give you any information that you couldn’t get ‘manually’. Personally, I've got better things to do. Accurate velocity estimation (at a couple of places in the trajectory) is essential. From the velocity (and a couple of other measurements) ChairGun will show you the shape of the trajectory, velocity & energy curves, etc. in graphical or tabular form.

ATB
    Dave
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein.