Thread: Long range airgun shooting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I've seen groups close to an inch at 100 with an Eliminator.

Baz has posted of hitting shotgun cases regularly at that distance with some Theoben or other

Sid or Craig have pulled of something close with a Career

It can certainly be done with an FAC airgun at 100 but I suspect is very sensitive to hold, rifle consistency and ammunition performance.

After all with a centrefire its commonplace so the human element is definately do-able its velocity consistency, wind variation and bc that are the killers

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

I think the lowest power I ever tried for 100 yard shooting was something like 20ftlbs worth of 15 grain .22, whatever that works out at in terms of velocity. I can't remember the group sizes, but they must have been fairly unimpressive because I didn't bother again after a couple of sessions.

The Career was certainly capable of something like an inch at 100 yards when everything went OK, but that was using about 45ftlbs energy with a 21 grain Bis Mag. I actually used to write all the group sizes and wind conditions etc down in a little notebook, but god knows where it is now.

What gets my goat is when the claims go from paper to live quarry ( like Harry " I never missed a rabbit even at 100+ yards " Fuller ). I'm no bunnyhugger, but at the end of the day they are living creatures, not convenient reactive targets.