Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Long range airgun shooting

Long range airgun shooting

Harry Fuller stirred the hornets nest over here on the bbs, and for all his doubters, it can be done, I achieved it but it took me over 15 attempts ( 5 shots per group). I am not good enough to do it consistently, but the group size he is speaking about, is definitely possible. I thought I would try and do it again today, but I failed as the winds were not very kind to me. Will try again when the conditions settle. Did this with a 18 ft/lbs rifle.

Yep, I think 1 or 2 on here owe him an apology. Did anyone in Gary C's group start a thread on their long range test results?.. was looking earlier but cant seem to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by GaryC
    Invite is firmed up for w/e 31Aug to 1st Sept
    Still to come... I can't wait to see their results, I hope the sun shines and the wind is still, and there bellys empty to eat there hats

Harry Fuller stirred the hornets nest over here on the bbs, and for all his doubters, it can be done, I achieved it but it took me over 15 attempts ( 5 shots per group). I am not good enough to do it consistently, but the group size he is speaking about, is definitely possible. I thought I would try and do it again today, but I failed as the winds were not very kind to me. Will try again when the conditions settle. Did this with a 18 ft/lbs rifle
    Well done mate

Quote Originally Posted by Sagres View Post
    ...it can be done, I achieved it but it took me over 15 attempts ( 5 shots per group).
    Can you state exactly what you did and at what range, mate? As someone who tried and failed to group inside an inch at 100 yards with any degree of consistency, I'm truly interested in your long range session.

All the best.

Lightbulb One for Mythbusters, me thinks!

This subject has got me wondering something.

Do we believe the rifle and pellet combo is incapable of the sub 1 ich feat or simply, no man can pull it off consistantlly (excuse the pun).

Do you think todays rifles can theoretically pull this off consistantlly in ideal positions, ie clamped in a windless or constant slight side wind (as per Harry) and some sort of device doing the trigger work. And weighed and sized good BC pellets.

Or, is the beef with the shooters ability and the conditions being far from the ideal.

Out of interest Terry, what kind of results you getting?

I've seen groups close to an inch at 100 with an Eliminator.

Baz has posted of hitting shotgun cases regularly at that distance with some Theoben or other

Sid or Craig have pulled of something close with a Career

It can certainly be done with an FAC airgun at 100 but I suspect is very sensitive to hold, rifle consistency and ammunition performance.

After all with a centrefire its commonplace so the human element is definately do-able its velocity consistency, wind variation and bc that are the killers

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

I think the lowest power I ever tried for 100 yard shooting was something like 20ftlbs worth of 15 grain .22, whatever that works out at in terms of velocity. I can't remember the group sizes, but they must have been fairly unimpressive because I didn't bother again after a couple of sessions.

The Career was certainly capable of something like an inch at 100 yards when everything went OK, but that was using about 45ftlbs energy with a 21 grain Bis Mag. I actually used to write all the group sizes and wind conditions etc down in a little notebook, but god knows where it is now.

What gets my goat is when the claims go from paper to live quarry ( like Harry " I never missed a rabbit even at 100+ yards " Fuller ). I'm no bunnyhugger, but at the end of the day they are living creatures, not convenient reactive targets.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBam View Post
    Out of interest Terry, what kind of results you getting?
    Using rifles from 12 ft.lbs. to 60 ft.lbs., all of which would do one-holers at 50 yards, I shot off a sandbag rest in air that was as still as we could get it - i.e. not showing visible disturbance, and at 100 yards I produced 10-shot groups that ranged from pellet-on pellet to 6 inches in diameter. The trouble was, none of the really tight groups came from consecutive pellets! It was this inconsistency that frustrated me.

Had there been a selection of small targets down at the target end, say 12-bore cartridge cases placed end-on, then they would have been hit quite regularly, but not consistently and certainly not consecutively. Anyone watching would have concluded that it's possible to hit a one-inch target at 100 yards with an air rifle, but they'd also be forced to admit that it was far from an exact piece of shooting.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Using rifles from 12 ft.lbs. to 60 ft.lbs., all of which would do one-holers at 50 yards, I shot off a sandbag rest in air that was as still as we could get it - i.e. not showing visible disturbance, and at 100 yards I produced 10-shot groups that ranged from pellet-on pellet to 6 inches in diameter. The trouble was, none of the really tight groups came from consecutive pellets! It was this inconsistency that frustrated me.

Had there been a selection of small targets down at the target end, say 12-bore cartridge cases placed end-on, then they would have been hit quite regularly, but not consistently and certainly not consecutively. Anyone watching would have concluded that it's possible to hit a one-inch target at 100 yards with an air rifle, but they'd also be forced to admit that it was far from an exact piece of shooting.
    hi terry, i liked what you said however there is a point im cross with. even if the rifle groups one inch all the time all day long, i still wouldnt say i can hit targets all day long at the distance. ive been posting videos online of long range shooting for a couple of months. some of my groups even at further distances are quite good but unless i dial correctly for the wind i wont get a hit, and if the wind happens to gust from 1/2way to 3/4 of the distance im shooting, the group opens up again. if one looks at the 1000 yard competitions, this is very true. you will have many rifles that group under a 1MOA at that distance, but because of wind and gusting winds groups still tend to open up widely at times. whole point is, you can do so much till it leaves the barrel, but once in mid air you can only watch to follow up with yor next shot.
    why don't you try it indoors if you just want to see the capability of the weapons, that way you eliminate the odds.
    Last edited by flims; 21-08-2007 at 06:51 AM.

I would have thought trying to get a 1" group with any [light] projectile at 100 yards using air gun speeds would have been an exercise in futility if there were any sort of breeze or wind.

Wouldn't you need a warm - dry - windless environment to do this? Which by default will mean somewhere overseas?

From what I've heard this Harry chap is a credible individual with an earned (good) reputation. I understood he was banned on the strength of what he said he shot with [FAC grade] air rifles. There is, after all, a sticky in the Rimfire section that clearly states Banning follows discussion of shooting specified quarry with air rifles. Zero tolerance too.

That said, don't we all deserve a second chance? If he has the limitations of posting here explained to him, (if he hasn't already) perhaps he could be allowed back to discuss his methods? One thing is for sure. He has a significant envionmental advantage over anyone shooting in the UK ......

Unless you know someone willing to let you use firearms in an aircraft hanger. <windless 100/150 yard range>

To be good, one must do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Can you state exactly what you did and at what range, mate? As someone who tried and failed to group inside an inch at 100 yards with any degree of consistency, I'm truly interested in your long range session.

All the best.
    Hi Terry,

Shooting was off a bench rest, range was 100metres. My rifle was initially zeroed at 40m metres, and increased the zero range by 15 metres increments. Be prepared for a lot of walking to and fro towards the target. The scope was eventually max height (click wise) at IIRC, was about 75 metres. After that, it was down to using mill dots.

I had little “flags”, or should I say pieces of cloth on a stick from 70 metres and thereafter every 10 metres. I tried to take the shot when all flags were still, but I find that it was more of a hindrance and after a few groups relying on the flags, I did not really use them after that.

You’re right about consistency; I shot 5 shots groups over and over. They were between 4 and 8 inches, but this was because of the air, different bar pressure and bad shooting. Then I decided to shoot at 200 bar, which seems to be the most consistent for my rifle (confirmed on the chronograph). I fired 5 shots, and then topped the rifle back up to 200 bar for the next group. I stopped walking towards the target between every shot because when I returned, I noticed that I was sitting in a different position between shots, so then I never got up between 5 shots groups to check the target.

The groups got a lot closer, on average 3- 4 inches. Just kept on shooting every 15 minutes as the amount of concentration required shooting at ranges like this is enormous I find, hands become very sweaty, have to control breathing, and trigger squeeze, concentrate on absolutely everything.

I managed to get 1.5 inch group, then called it a day. It may have been luck,probably was but I certainly am not marksman, and couldn’t replicate that same group the next day, but got groups between 4 and 5 inches.

Still for me, it was an achievement. My point being is that it is possible, and sadly, will keep on trying to get a degree of consistency

Born Again Guest
    I got an inch-ish 10 shot group at 70yds on my first attempt, without proper equipment.

I'm going to try again, but the weather since the first attempt hasn't been suitable.

Even with the right kit I doubt I'll ever manage it at 100yds with a 12ft/lb rifle.

I seem to remember Harry was claiming sub 1" groups at 150 yards, not 100.

Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

but you can't really compare a 18ft.lbs to a 27ft.lbs, big difference.