Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
Can you state exactly what you did and at what range, mate? As someone who tried and failed to group inside an inch at 100 yards with any degree of consistency, I'm truly interested in your long range session.

All the best.
Hi Terry,

Shooting was off a bench rest, range was 100metres. My rifle was initially zeroed at 40m metres, and increased the zero range by 15 metres increments. Be prepared for a lot of walking to and fro towards the target. The scope was eventually max height (click wise) at IIRC, was about 75 metres. After that, it was down to using mill dots.

I had little “flags”, or should I say pieces of cloth on a stick from 70 metres and thereafter every 10 metres. I tried to take the shot when all flags were still, but I find that it was more of a hindrance and after a few groups relying on the flags, I did not really use them after that.

You’re right about consistency; I shot 5 shots groups over and over. They were between 4 and 8 inches, but this was because of the air, different bar pressure and bad shooting. Then I decided to shoot at 200 bar, which seems to be the most consistent for my rifle (confirmed on the chronograph). I fired 5 shots, and then topped the rifle back up to 200 bar for the next group. I stopped walking towards the target between every shot because when I returned, I noticed that I was sitting in a different position between shots, so then I never got up between 5 shots groups to check the target.

The groups got a lot closer, on average 3- 4 inches. Just kept on shooting every 15 minutes as the amount of concentration required shooting at ranges like this is enormous I find, hands become very sweaty, have to control breathing, and trigger squeeze, concentrate on absolutely everything.

I managed to get 1.5 inch group, then called it a day. It may have been luck,probably was but I certainly am not marksman, and couldn’t replicate that same group the next day, but got groups between 4 and 5 inches.

Still for me, it was an achievement. My point being is that it is possible, and sadly, will keep on trying to get a degree of consistency