Thread: Long range airgun shooting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Fair comment.

The bit I cant get my head around is whats there to disbelieve?

Holding a rifle well enough to shoot a group like that (with a centrefire) is easy, I can do it and most serious riflemen can also particularly from a bench as Harry did.

So theres no extra special skill in MOA marksmanship

He never professed to hit given targets merely acheived groups anywhere on a piece of paper against a single aim point therefore reading the wind becomes irrelevent as long as its consistent through the shot string and your piece of paper is big enough.

The whole exercise is purely a function of an accurate and consistent rifle, consistent ammunition and consistent wind.

Interestingly people chose to rip Harry apart wheras his actual involvement is possibly the least significant part his equipment and weather would be infinitely more important

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    The whole exercise is purely a function of an accurate and consistent rifle, consistent ammunition and consistent wind.
    Really Richard? Yet, without any wind, and using the finest hardware available to anyone, anywhere, my own modest efforts and those of some extremely talented marksmen, failed to produce consistent sub-inch groups at 100 yards.

I tried, I really did, as did others. We couldn't do it, mate.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Really Richard? Yet, without any wind, and using the finest hardware available to anyone, anywhere, my own modest efforts and those of some extremely talented marksmen, failed to produce consistent sub-inch groups at 100 yards.

I tried, I really did, as did others. We couldn't do it, mate.
    I understand but you are missing the point.

I've never seen you shoot

But we'll take it as read you're more than competent

A sub MOA hold from a bench is easy, have a look at some of the groups in the firearms forum so the human factor is definately do-able.

The limiting factors are the rifle, the ammunition and the conditions, unfortunately people jumped to rubbish the poster and his skills or lack of them in reading wind.

As he was only shooting groups NOT a fixed 1" target reading the wind becomes academic as long as it remains a consistent condition (and your paper is large enough) that was my clear understanding from watching the posts in real time.

Unfortunately some editting allowed this misunderstanding to reach its logical conclusion before we could examine his kit and weather conditions in more detail.

I've no idea of the wind or atmospherics in Harry's Australian valley and sadly now we are unlikely to get to the bottom of things.

Richard
    Last edited by RichardH; 22-08-2007 at 01:22 PM.

I know decisions have been made, but I respectfully ask the mods whether they could reinstate Harry's account as we clearly all have unanswered questions and would like them answered. We are all adults, lets move on to solving the puzzle

It was a very tough call, perhaps with hindsight it wasn't the best one?

Perhaps he will be invited back for a proper grilling?

Richard

A sleepy village Nr Skipton, a bit like Royston Va
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagres View Post
    I know decisions have been made, but I respectfully ask the mods whether they could reinstate Harry's account as we clearly all have unanswered questions and would like them answered. We are all adults, lets move on to solving the puzzle
    From reading his posts on another forum, I don't think he would be interested in returning.
    AA 410k, 3-9X50
    FN19 Hawke, 6-18x44
    AA S200, 6-24X50
    S10, 8-32X50

Quote Originally Posted by rusham View Post
    From reading his posts on another forum, I don't think he would be interested in returning.
    It might be prudent for him to do some editting

As he was only shooting groups NOT a fixed 1" target reading the wind becomes academic as long as it remains a consistent condition...
    Seriously, Richard, when does the wind ever become, and remain, a consistent condition throughout 150 yards, over the course of even a short shooting session? That's one huge 'academic' you're quoting there.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Seriously, Richard, when does the wind ever become, and remain, a consistent condition throughout 150 yards, over the course of even a short shooting session? That's one huge 'academic' you're quoting there.

All the best.
    Hi Terry

In the bottom of a steep sided quarry perhaps (Like where I zero my big rifles)

Even indoors for that matter

Richard

Hi Terry

Even indoors for that matter
    Ah, indoors. Now why on earth didn't I think of that?

Hold on...

Now I'm puzzled Terry

I think we can agree that:

1- A MOA hold is easily acheiveable from a bench?
    2- A modern pre-charged legal limit gun can pull 1/2" groups at 50 yards (MOA)
    3- There is no wind indoors
    4- A modern FAC airgun can produce twice the legal limit in terms of energy easily

What ballistically therefore can cause a previously stable pellet from a 24ft/ib rifle to be unstable at 100 when a legal limit rifle at half the power is very stable at 50?

Is it a function of needing faster twist rates for heavier pellets?

In short why are you convinced its impossible when physics dictates it has to be?

Richard