Thread: Long range airgun shooting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagres View Post
    Terry,

when you tried this, what results were you getting with 60 ft.lbs?
    Worse than when I wound down the rifle to 38 ft.lbs., mate.

I was using Bisley Magnums, graded, sorted and individually weighed - yes, it's tragic but so am I when I'm in 'nth-degree' mode.

My average 10-shot groups at 100 yards, shot indoors with 60 ft.lbs. measured just under 3 inches. As I say, some pellets landed on top of each other, but others veered off to all points around the 1 inch disc target, sometimes by as much as 6 inches.

Outdoors, using range flags every 10 yards to assess the wind, those 'rogue' pellets would often miss by a foot, when I could feel or see not a trace of wind. Most frustrating, I can tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Worse than when I wound down the rifle to 38 ft.lbs., mate.

I was using Bisley Magnums, graded, sorted and individually weighed - yes, it's tragic but so am I when I'm in 'nth-degree' mode.

My average 10-shot groups at 100 yards, shot indoors with 60 ft.lbs. measured just under 3 inches. As I say, some pellets landed on top of each other, but others veered off to all points around the 1 inch disc target, sometimes by as much as 6 inches.

Outdoors, using range flags every 10 yards to assess the wind, those 'rogue' pellets would often miss by a foot, when I could feel or see not a trace of wind. Most frustrating, I can tell you.

What was the spread of fps between those 10 shots?

I can spin, draw and fire with my walther cp88 and get a 1 inch group at 200 yards.
    Daystate mk3 RT with Bushnell Trophy 6-18x40
    Recommended deals with: mrfixit, Steve83, Merlyn, johnyjohnjonno

Quote Originally Posted by Sagres View Post
    What was the spread of fps between those 10 shots?
    At the muzzle, less than 10 f.p.s. At the target, often double that outdoors. I used regulated and non-regulated rifles, springers and gas-rams. Incidently, the two occasions I clamped the precharged rifles' actions to a rig, the groups actually got worse.

As so often happens, there are more questions than answers, mate.