Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Long range airgun shooting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Using rifles from 12 ft.lbs. to 60 ft.lbs., all of which would do one-holers at 50 yards, I shot off a sandbag rest in air that was as still as we could get it - i.e. not showing visible disturbance, and at 100 yards I produced 10-shot groups that ranged from pellet-on pellet to 6 inches in diameter. The trouble was, none of the really tight groups came from consecutive pellets! It was this inconsistency that frustrated me.

Had there been a selection of small targets down at the target end, say 12-bore cartridge cases placed end-on, then they would have been hit quite regularly, but not consistently and certainly not consecutively. Anyone watching would have concluded that it's possible to hit a one-inch target at 100 yards with an air rifle, but they'd also be forced to admit that it was far from an exact piece of shooting.
    hi terry, i liked what you said however there is a point im cross with. even if the rifle groups one inch all the time all day long, i still wouldnt say i can hit targets all day long at the distance. ive been posting videos online of long range shooting for a couple of months. some of my groups even at further distances are quite good but unless i dial correctly for the wind i wont get a hit, and if the wind happens to gust from 1/2way to 3/4 of the distance im shooting, the group opens up again. if one looks at the 1000 yard competitions, this is very true. you will have many rifles that group under a 1MOA at that distance, but because of wind and gusting winds groups still tend to open up widely at times. whole point is, you can do so much till it leaves the barrel, but once in mid air you can only watch to follow up with yor next shot.
    why don't you try it indoors if you just want to see the capability of the weapons, that way you eliminate the odds.
    Last edited by flims; 21-08-2007 at 06:51 AM.

I would have thought trying to get a 1" group with any [light] projectile at 100 yards using air gun speeds would have been an exercise in futility if there were any sort of breeze or wind.

Wouldn't you need a warm - dry - windless environment to do this? Which by default will mean somewhere overseas?

From what I've heard this Harry chap is a credible individual with an earned (good) reputation. I understood he was banned on the strength of what he said he shot with [FAC grade] air rifles. There is, after all, a sticky in the Rimfire section that clearly states Banning follows discussion of shooting specified quarry with air rifles. Zero tolerance too.

That said, don't we all deserve a second chance? If he has the limitations of posting here explained to him, (if he hasn't already) perhaps he could be allowed back to discuss his methods? One thing is for sure. He has a significant envionmental advantage over anyone shooting in the UK ......

Unless you know someone willing to let you use firearms in an aircraft hanger. <windless 100/150 yard range>

To be good, one must do good.

Born Again Guest
    I got an inch-ish 10 shot group at 70yds on my first attempt, without proper equipment.

I'm going to try again, but the weather since the first attempt hasn't been suitable.

Even with the right kit I doubt I'll ever manage it at 100yds with a 12ft/lb rifle.

I seem to remember Harry was claiming sub 1" groups at 150 yards, not 100.

Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

but you can't really compare a 18ft.lbs to a 27ft.lbs, big difference.

PeteB is offline Personally, I don't trust any bloke that makes me feel stiff in the morning
    Calne, Wiltshire. (not far enough from Calais)
    I seem to remember Harry was claiming sub 1" groups at 150 yards, not 100
    I think there was some confusion over what was printed in the magazine and what Harry was actually claiming. He said that he was getting 1.2" groups at 150 yards.
    I plink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post

So I hear. Does that mean 150 yard shots are a banning offence?
    To be good, one must do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldie View Post
    So I hear. Does that mean 150 yard shots are a banning offence?
    No Geoff.

What Harry was banned for was repeatedly posting that he regularly shoots foxes with airguns. He has also been seen slagging this forum off on other forums.

After I edited the first offending post to remove the reference - and him agreeing not to mention it again - he went and posted it at least once more. And not just in passing, either, he seemed to be enjoy posting about it.

150 yard paper targets are fine, but foxes at any range with an airgun does nothing for our sport over here in the U.K., even if it is fine down-under.

Regards,
    Pete.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

As Pete said "Harry" thought he was beyond the rules even though admin were lenient in explaining to him about Foxes and airguns, others have had permanent bans for it with no second chance

Plus he has been enjoying slagging this forum (I am told) so why would he want to get back on here anyway

I have shot 8 pellets (magful of Bismags in a Career) into a pepsi bottle cap at a measured 100yds, rifle was set at 47ftlb, this was off Landrover bonnet and no noticeable wind (in a valley) I only did it once but it was quite easy to be honest, as Terry has said I would expect consistent similar results would be hard to do, I tried it on paper at same range at another time when it was a bit windy and I got around a 6 inch group

27ftlb out to 150yds, I know I couldnt shoot consistent 1.2 inch groups, I can shoot under an inch with my 22/250 but thats a different ballgame with 50grn "pellet" at 3800fps
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Gary C Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post

Indeed

But again let me stress, I do not disbelieve anybody who says that they have done this. I call anybody a liar who says they can go out, feel the wind, judge it, and put 5 shots into a 1" circle at 150 yards with certainty.

Harry played the game, but then his "embellishment" went OTT with the claims of "never missing" etc.

Sadly, once caught out as a blatant fantasist every other claim is then brought into question.

Just another lonely old josser with too much time on his hands sadly IMHO

figjam Guest
    Last edited by figjam; 23-08-2007 at 03:05 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bengarzy View Post
    If your sub 12 ft lbs rifle will go through a water filled drinks can AND 1/4 ply at 100 yards then I would chrono it as it should have around 2-3 ft lbs at that distance and that will not do as discribed above.
    Dont fall into the "Harry" trap
    Ben
    Hi Ben,

It's just Kenny's written English and C- in composition
    The ply board was not behind the drinks cans. I filled the drinks cans with river water and placed them on top of the boards. The pellets passed cleanly through the cans. The pellets also passed cleanly through the ply to which the paper targets were attached. Not both together.
    David.

Born Again Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by figjam View Post
    then again harry's posts were also edited and rewritten too! so im not surprised, why is there such a big defensive about all these long range posts and why are certain members being let away with murder in here!
    There were over 1000 views to one of the threads alone that harry started and they werent watching the abusive manner in which he was being treated, infact he conducted himself as a perfect gentlemen way beyond the point of abuse that i would have snapped at. It was a very informative and knowledgable thread, surely this forum is all about learning more and respecting other members views and opinions? (if i recall he only snapped once the threats were made personally about him, now all of sudden the impossible has been achieved !!!! doent that warrant the return of threads and an apology?)

kenny

p.s. whats happened to this place!
    I agree with you to an extent Kenny, I'm embarrassed at the way Harry was treated on this the premier British forum. It makes us look like a bunch of kids.

His post was badly edited to remove the word "Fox", which changed it's meaning. Gary then jumped on the new meaning, ignoring people who posted that the original text had been edited, and when Harry posted the F word again, to explain what had been edited out, he was banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    And look now, people are achieving it!.
    Are they? Where's that then?

Kenny

I have to say that I understood exactly what you meant with regards to the can and the 1/4 inch ply. Having also enjoyed a number of HFT events at Juniper Green where the rifles were all chrono'd (all happily passing below 12fp) I must say that I agree with your view of posts that suggest otherwise.

If it was not for the fact that the competitions that you help run, at Juniper Green I would not have managed to get 2 people back into airgunning and they have both comented on the well run, safe setup and responsible shooters.

Like you say this is meant to be about enjoying our sport and sharing ideas, information and supporting one another.

Also it is rather amazing the number of 100 yard ... long range fun that we have all been enoying since a certain someone started a certain post.

Cheers
    Euan

Keep up the good work in Scotland as we all need to stick together