Page 13 of 14 FirstFirst ... 311121314 LastLast

Thread: Long range airgun shooting

Quote Originally Posted by Born Again View Post
    And while you're here, why bother with "flight time in a vacuum", if the pellet is at a constant velocity due to no wind resistance why not just incorporate muzzle velocity into the equation ? I think "flight time in a vacuum" is a red herring myself.
    Did you look at the link that I posted? I thought that the physics/dynamics were described rather well.

The flight-time-in-a-vacuum is, in itself, irrelevant. What is important is the ‘delay’ (caused by the ballistic drag) of the pellet reaching the target. In a vacuum (or if the BC were infinite) then there would be no drag (and hence no deflection).

The sums work out like this :

Wind drift [Feet] = (s * sin(a)) * (t - (v/r)) … where:

t [seconds] = time of flight = 24000 * BC * (Exp(r / (8000 * BC)) - 1) / v
    s = wind speed [in Ft/s]
    a = angle of wind off trajectory path [degrees]
    v = muzzle velocity [in Ft/s]
    r = range [in Feet]

Note that the (v/r) term is the flight-time-in-a-vacuum so that (t – (v/r)) is equal to the ‘delay’ caused by drag. If the wind were at 90 degrees to the trajectory then (s * sin(a)) reduces to the windspeed since sin(90deg)=1

Dave
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein.

Born Again Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Harry's Lad View Post
    Did you look at the link that I posted? I thought that the physics/dynamics were described rather well.

The flight-time-in-a-vacuum is, in itself, irrelevant. What is important is the ‘delay’ (caused by the ballistic drag) of the pellet reaching the target. In a vacuum (or if the BC were infinite) then there would be no drag (and hence no deflection).

s = wind speed [in Ft/s]
    r = range [in Feet]

Note that the (v/r) term is the flight-time-in-a-vacuum so that (t – (v/r)) is equal to the ‘delay’ caused by drag. If the wind were at 90 degrees to the trajectory then (s * sin(a)) reduces to the windspeed since sin(90deg)=1

Dave
    That's just what I thought ( ).

Actually, on second glance, that's not nearly as complicated as it looks. I'll have a better look tomorrow when I'm not full of red wine.

Thanks, and any more formulae welcomed.

We had another bash it yesterday, shooting out to 100 metres. Same setup as before, 5 shots per group at 18 ft.lbs.

Results – I achieved groups between 2 -4.1 inches. A friend of mine tried it on my rifle and was achieving a consistent group of 2-2.3 inches with my rifle.How embarrasing
    This leads to conclude that it is down to the shooters ability, because I could not get a consistent group at all yesterday and he did.

We are trying to get our hands on a 27 ft.lbs to see what results we can achieve. And will keep you posted.

Those of us of a certain age will remember when the four-minute mile was thought to be the very limit of human endeavour - 'impossible' they cried! Then, shortly after Roger Bannister achieved the ‘impossible’, a whole raft of athletes did it. Within ten years, the four minute mile equivalent was essential before a athlete could taken seriously. I reckon it’ll be like that with sub MoA groups at 100 and 150 yards – provided, of course, that that nice Gordon Blair (Tony Brown? ... whatever) and the rest of the knee-jerkers will let us keep our airguns long enough.

Better get practicing …

Dave
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former." Albert Einstein.

Heres a pic of the Pepsi bottle cap I shot several years ago with Career, 8 Bismags at measured 100yds, using a sandbag rest on bonnet of motor, the cap was trapped behind a bit of wire on a post
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    Heres a pic of the Pepsi bottle cap I shot several years ago ...

Sez you.

Eh?

A sleepy village Nr Skipton, a bit like Royston Va

s = wind speed [in Ft/s]
    r = range [in Feet]

Dave
    Very good, it all becomes clear!!!!

(Eye's become glazed, mouth slightly open, pen held to side of nose to try and show that he is listening, but in reality, the student is completely lost and hasn't the inclination to ask the lecturer to "repeat that bit again please")
    AA 410k, 3-9X50
    FN19 Hawke, 6-18x44
    AA S200, 6-24X50
    S10, 8-32X50

Heres a pic of the Pepsi bottle cap I shot several years ago with Career, 8 Bismags at measured 100yds, using a sandbag rest on bonnet of motor, the cap was trapped behind a bit of wire on a post
    How did the other two holes get into it
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

As I expected, and why I didnt put pic on the original thread

It was a concrete post that it was attatched to and by the time my mate (who also had identical Career) shot a couple of mags worth at a wine bottle cork in same place there was quite a bit of concrete missing

Admittedly it was an old post and a bit crumbly to start with but still not bad for an airgun

I remember chronoing the rifle in front of Terry Le Chem when TD brought him down a few years back I think it was doing 1030fps with Bismags
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

As I expected, and why I didnt put pic on the original thread

It was a concrete post that it was attatched to and by the time my mate (who also had identical Career) shot a couple of mags worth at a wine bottle cork in same place there was quite a bit of concrete missing

Admittedly it was an old post and a bit crumbly to start with but still not bad for an airgun

I remember chronoing the rifle in front of Terry Le Chem when TD brought him down a few years back I think it was doing 1030fps with Bismags
    I saw a bloke zero a .222 on a bit of board against one of those, just the reinforcing wire left

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Quote Originally Posted by rusham View Post
    Very good, it all becomes clear!!!!

(Eye's become glazed, mouth slightly open, pen held to side of nose to try and show that he is listening, but in reality, the student is completely lost and hasn't the inclination to ask the lecturer to "repeat that bit again please")
    The link referred to earlier here makes it a lot clearer.

HTH
    Dave

A sleepy village Nr Skipton, a bit like Royston Va

HTH
    Dave
    Thanks Dave, quite interesting. I will admit that I do not take a scientific approach to my shooting and prefer to keep "things simple", but an interesting article non the less.
    AA 410k, 3-9X50
    FN19 Hawke, 6-18x44
    AA S200, 6-24X50
    S10, 8-32X50

HTH
    Dave
    I think I'll read that on any other day bar a Friday, especially in the afternoon!

Just looking at it made me yawn.

Night night.

Mar...zzzzzzzzz
    .177" Harrier X, Hydrographically dipped with custom FT Stock. .22" S410k BTAS with walnut thumbhole stock. .223 Tikka T3 Stainless Lite. CZ Varmint 17hmr. Browning and Baikal O/U 12g.

maybe a silly question, but isn't the air thinner at night? (less resistance), just before sun down?

Are you likely to get better groups long range without a silencer?

125 yard grouping