Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Long range airgun shooting

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    I'm

I did a bit of this crack yesterday, and the biggest groups were just over 4 inch horizontal and around 3 inch vertical with a springer at approx 3 kicks in the arrse under 100yds!!!

I was testing to see if some of the shots actually grouped rather than the whole lot of them. Taking ones that did group to mean, I was shooting them when the wind was the same, and I did the same technique. Other shots all over the joint due to me/ my equipment/ variable wind.

My thinking is, if nothing grouped and the shots were trully random, hardly any shots would be together, but some did form 3 and 4 shots group, and I'm assuming (dangerous thing to do) that these were more than coincedance.

The shot spread of 6 inch you describe lads, are these mostlly due to horizontal spread, ie wind and is your vertical spread a lot better?

Heres the link to my results if ya want to check them out.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216110

Talking 100 Yards

I think this is great, groups like this at 100 yards. But can't hit a 40MM disc at 38 Yard. These boys must be the next SAS recruits. But make sure the targets over 95 yards.

George

Quote Originally Posted by AAS410 View Post
    I think this is great, groups like this at 100 yards. But can't hit a 40MM disc at 38 Yard. These boys must be the next SAS recruits. But make sure the targets over 95 yards.

George
    Please explain this one for me george, sure hope your not having an unfounded dig at my claims . I'm sure we could arrange a measured indoor 38 yard shoot off at a 40mm disc, if you like.... And no need for any fancy bench rests either, here we could even do it standing or kneeling if you like .

Checked the distance in Chairgun for the range I shot at. Assuming a 15' upward shot, and rifle combro'ed yesterday averaging 795fps with exacts (792 - 799 over 5 shots),drop average was 20 inch (2 sheets of a4 taped together longwise, dot at top of one, pellets hitting bottom of other) distance was between 92 and 94 yards.

Even left the bench and the chair I used to set up the targets on(it was , thats I why I used it ,before any accusations) where I'd used them, if you fancy giving it a go, before ripping out snidey comments.

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    No Geoff.

What Harry was banned for was repeatedly posting that he regularly shoots foxes with airguns. He has also been seen slagging this forum off on other forums.

After I edited the first offending post to remove the reference - and him agreeing not to mention it again - he went and posted it at least once more. And not just in passing, either, he seemed to be enjoy posting about it.

150 yard paper targets are fine, but foxes at any range with an airgun does nothing for our sport over here in the U.K., even if it is fine down-under.

Regards,
    Pete.
    Fair comment. [I seem to have been misled. ] Seems like you've done more than a fair bit to help the fella out. I'm aware he mentioned what he shot, which was a (rightly) zero tolerance offence, but I had no idea he'd already been given a number of chances to make good.

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    As Pete said "Harry" thought he was beyond the rules even though admin were lenient in explaining to him about Foxes and airguns, others have had permanent bans for it with no second chance

Plus he has been enjoying slagging this forum (I am told) so why would he want to get back on here anyway

Doesn't sound much like a 'quality' person to me. Hang 'im.
    To be good, one must do good.

Quote Originally Posted by JohnBam View Post
    I'm

I did a bit of this crack yesterday, and the biggest groups were just over 4 inch horizontal and around 3 inch vertical with a springer at approx 3 kicks in the arrse under 100yds!!!

I was testing to see if some of the shots actually grouped rather than the whole lot of them. Taking ones that did group to mean, I was shooting them when the wind was the same, and I did the same technique. Other shots all over the joint due to me/ my equipment/ variable wind.

My thinking is, if nothing grouped and the shots were trully random, hardly any shots would be together, but some did form 3 and 4 shots group, and I'm assuming (dangerous thing to do) that these were more than coincedance.

The shot spread of 6 inch you describe lads, are these mostlly due to horizontal spread, ie wind and is your vertical spread a lot better?

Heres the link to my results if ya want to check them out.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216110

Good shooting Johnbam.Springers are difficult to shoot, but I hear that Pieman is brilliant with them. Would like to see what results he gets,and if there is an advantage for pcp over springers.I know for a fact that I cannot shoot springers well, thats why I moved onto pcp.

Quote Originally Posted by Sagres View Post
    Good shooting Johnbam.Springers are difficult to shoot, but I hear that Pieman is brilliant with them. Would like to see what results he gets,and if there is an advantage for pcp over springers.I know for a fact that I cannot shoot springers well, thats why I moved onto pcp.
    Cheers mate, would also like to see Harv and John Budd having a go at this. Great springer shooters the pair of them and use well tuned rifles. Bet they could achieve, substantially better than I have.

Hope they take it up.

And Kenny.... spot on, on yer comments mate re the Harry situation.