Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Long range airgun shooting

PeteB is offline Personally, I don't trust any bloke that makes me feel stiff in the morning
    Calne, Wiltshire. (not far enough from Calais)
    I seem to remember Harry was claiming sub 1" groups at 150 yards, not 100
    I think there was some confusion over what was printed in the magazine and what Harry was actually claiming. He said that he was getting 1.2" groups at 150 yards.
    I plink, therefore I am.

Quote Originally Posted by snock View Post
    I seem to remember Harry was claiming sub 1" groups at 150 yards, not 100.

So I hear. Does that mean 150 yard shots are a banning offence?
    To be good, one must do good.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldie View Post
    So I hear. Does that mean 150 yard shots are a banning offence?
    No Geoff.

What Harry was banned for was repeatedly posting that he regularly shoots foxes with airguns. He has also been seen slagging this forum off on other forums.

After I edited the first offending post to remove the reference - and him agreeing not to mention it again - he went and posted it at least once more. And not just in passing, either, he seemed to be enjoy posting about it.

150 yard paper targets are fine, but foxes at any range with an airgun does nothing for our sport over here in the U.K., even if it is fine down-under.

Regards,
    Pete.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

As Pete said "Harry" thought he was beyond the rules even though admin were lenient in explaining to him about Foxes and airguns, others have had permanent bans for it with no second chance

Plus he has been enjoying slagging this forum (I am told) so why would he want to get back on here anyway

I have shot 8 pellets (magful of Bismags in a Career) into a pepsi bottle cap at a measured 100yds, rifle was set at 47ftlb, this was off Landrover bonnet and no noticeable wind (in a valley) I only did it once but it was quite easy to be honest, as Terry has said I would expect consistent similar results would be hard to do, I tried it on paper at same range at another time when it was a bit windy and I got around a 6 inch group

27ftlb out to 150yds, I know I couldnt shoot consistent 1.2 inch groups, I can shoot under an inch with my 22/250 but thats a different ballgame with 50grn "pellet" at 3800fps
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

50 metres from the English Channel. Worthing
    Not being picky here (yes I am) why isn't this thread in the airgun related section?

For the life of me, advancing towards the portals of senility by the way, what use is long distance air rifle shooting?

Half the enjoyment is getting as close to the quarry as you can before taking it out quickly and efficiently.

I once got within 15 yards of a dustbin before the bluddy bin men came and emptied it.
    Easily led

It is in the airgun section
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    It is in the airgun section
    Am I leading a double life? Whoops. I blame the box of fermenting dates at lunchtime.

Easily led

Quote Originally Posted by fitzcarraldo View Post
    Am I leading a double life?

Only 1 account per person!

I moved it shortly after Baz replied.
    Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

Gary C Guest
    I seem to remember Harry was claiming sub 1" groups at 150 yards, not 100.

Indeed

But again let me stress, I do not disbelieve anybody who says that they have done this. I call anybody a liar who says they can go out, feel the wind, judge it, and put 5 shots into a 1" circle at 150 yards with certainty.

Harry played the game, but then his "embellishment" went OTT with the claims of "never missing" etc.

Sadly, once caught out as a blatant fantasist every other claim is then brought into question.

Just another lonely old josser with too much time on his hands sadly IMHO

Only 1 account per person!

I moved it shortly after Baz replied.
    Cor, forra minute I thought I'd caught that deja vu bug that's going around.
    Easily led

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagres View Post
    it can be done, I achieved it but it took me over 15 attempts ( 5 shots per group). Did this with a 18 ft/lbs rifle.
    I refer to my earlier thread about groups.. if it took you 15 goes, shooting a relatively small number of shots per group, then it's a fluke, not a measure of what's possible. Sorry...

Sniper_Wolf's 20 shot group with his EV2 is quite another matter..... very impressive, but that 2" @ 100
    Always looking for any cheap, interesting, knackered "project" guns. Thanks, JB.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyBoy View Post
    I refer to my earlier thread about groups.. if it took you 15 goes, shooting a relatively small number of shots per group, then it's a fluke, not a measure of what's possible. Sorry...

Sniper_Wolf's 20 shot group with his EV2 is quite another matter..... very impressive, but that 2" @ 100
    Thats excellent shooting by sniper_wolf, so that shows you can get a consistent group at 100 yards. What is the ft.lbs he is running at?

I will try it again when we have a perfect day. Unforutunately, the spread per fps varies greatly after 5 shots, so I am really limited by that factor if I have any chance to get those groups. Any more shots without topping up opens the group. Nevertheless, its fun and challenging.

I'm

I did a bit of this crack yesterday, and the biggest groups were just over 4 inch horizontal and around 3 inch vertical with a springer at approx 3 kicks in the arrse under 100yds!!!

I was testing to see if some of the shots actually grouped rather than the whole lot of them. Taking ones that did group to mean, I was shooting them when the wind was the same, and I did the same technique. Other shots all over the joint due to me/ my equipment/ variable wind.

My thinking is, if nothing grouped and the shots were trully random, hardly any shots would be together, but some did form 3 and 4 shots group, and I'm assuming (dangerous thing to do) that these were more than coincedance.

The shot spread of 6 inch you describe lads, are these mostlly due to horizontal spread, ie wind and is your vertical spread a lot better?

Heres the link to my results if ya want to check them out.

http://www.airgunbbs.com/forums/showthread.php?t=216110

Talking 100 Yards

I think this is great, groups like this at 100 yards. But can't hit a 40MM disc at 38 Yard. These boys must be the next SAS recruits. But make sure the targets over 95 yards.

George

No Geoff.

What Harry was banned for was repeatedly posting that he regularly shoots foxes with airguns. He has also been seen slagging this forum off on other forums.

After I edited the first offending post to remove the reference - and him agreeing not to mention it again - he went and posted it at least once more. And not just in passing, either, he seemed to be enjoy posting about it.

150 yard paper targets are fine, but foxes at any range with an airgun does nothing for our sport over here in the U.K., even if it is fine down-under.

Regards,
    Pete.
    Fair comment. [I seem to have been misled. ] Seems like you've done more than a fair bit to help the fella out. I'm aware he mentioned what he shot, which was a (rightly) zero tolerance offence, but I had no idea he'd already been given a number of chances to make good.

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    As Pete said "Harry" thought he was beyond the rules even though admin were lenient in explaining to him about Foxes and airguns, others have had permanent bans for it with no second chance

Plus he has been enjoying slagging this forum (I am told) so why would he want to get back on here anyway

Doesn't sound much like a 'quality' person to me. Hang 'im.
    To be good, one must do good.