Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Long range airgun shooting

I know decisions have been made, but I respectfully ask the mods whether they could reinstate Harry's account as we clearly all have unanswered questions and would like them answered. We are all adults, lets move on to solving the puzzle

It was a very tough call, perhaps with hindsight it wasn't the best one?

Perhaps he will be invited back for a proper grilling?

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

A sleepy village Nr Skipton, a bit like Royston Va
    Quote Originally Posted by Sagres View Post
    I know decisions have been made, but I respectfully ask the mods whether they could reinstate Harry's account as we clearly all have unanswered questions and would like them answered. We are all adults, lets move on to solving the puzzle
    From reading his posts on another forum, I don't think he would be interested in returning.
    AA 410k, 3-9X50
    FN19 Hawke, 6-18x44
    AA S200, 6-24X50
    S10, 8-32X50

Quote Originally Posted by rusham View Post
    From reading his posts on another forum, I don't think he would be interested in returning.
    It might be prudent for him to do some editting

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    As he was only shooting groups NOT a fixed 1" target reading the wind becomes academic as long as it remains a consistent condition...
    Seriously, Richard, when does the wind ever become, and remain, a consistent condition throughout 150 yards, over the course of even a short shooting session? That's one huge 'academic' you're quoting there.

All the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Terry D View Post
    Seriously, Richard, when does the wind ever become, and remain, a consistent condition throughout 150 yards, over the course of even a short shooting session? That's one huge 'academic' you're quoting there.

All the best.
    Hi Terry

In the bottom of a steep sided quarry perhaps (Like where I zero my big rifles)

Even indoors for that matter

Richard

Hi Terry

Even indoors for that matter
    Ah, indoors. Now why on earth didn't I think of that?

Hold on...

Now I'm puzzled Terry

I think we can agree that:

1- A MOA hold is easily acheiveable from a bench?
    2- A modern pre-charged legal limit gun can pull 1/2" groups at 50 yards (MOA)
    3- There is no wind indoors
    4- A modern FAC airgun can produce twice the legal limit in terms of energy easily

What ballistically therefore can cause a previously stable pellet from a 24ft/ib rifle to be unstable at 100 when a legal limit rifle at half the power is very stable at 50?

Is it a function of needing faster twist rates for heavier pellets?

In short why are you convinced its impossible when physics dictates it has to be?

Richard

Just spent half an hour reading this thread. I am interested in Harrys theories and very interested in shooting longe range groups on paper with sub 12fpe. I have achieved a sub 2inch group of 20 shots at 100yds and have started another thread on here about it. I also followed harry to the other forum, as when I got back from holiday, all his threads had been deleted and he had been banned. I have no problem with that, but there is no arguing that the man is very dedicated and knows more than most of us will ever know about long range shooting with air. I will continue to get in touch and discuss with him concerning his achievments, and hope to learn more, and I am even thinking of buying another FAC air rifle and set it at the same power as harrys to see if i can achieve similar results. I would never dream of shooting live quarry at these ranges with sub 12fpe.

Harry is a very clever man and has dedicated a lot of time, and wishes to share his findings for all to see, and have a go at it, I am certainly hooked.

He should not have been banned IMO, but I could'nt read what went on during that time because I was on holiday.

In short why are you convinced its impossible when physics dictates it has to be?
    I'm a simple, practical man, Richard, and I prefer to see things happen rather than being dictated to by theory.

I'm not convinced it's impossible, but having tried - and tried extremely hard - to do it in the real world, rather than via theory, so far it has remained impossible to create consistent, sub-inch, 10-shot groups, at 100 yards indoors or out. Thus, the idea of adding another 50 yards to that range and producing groups of a similar size, outdoors, has to arouse the 'curiosity' in me, surely?

If you had a 150 yard-long barrel, then I reckon you could shoot some pretty tight groups at that range.

A sleepy village Nr Skipton, a bit like Royston Va
    Quote Originally Posted by Salvius View Post
    If you had a 150 yard-long barrel, then I reckon you could shoot some pretty tight groups at that range.
    Didn't Sadam Hussain try that?? Made in Sheffield I believe !!!!
    AA 410k, 3-9X50
    FN19 Hawke, 6-18x44
    AA S200, 6-24X50
    S10, 8-32X50

Gary C Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by sniper-wolf View Post
    Just spent half an hour reading this thread. I am interested in Harrys theories

Are they Harry's or lifted from the American forums? I've not actually seen anything original there. Not saying that they're not his..just asking like. Regurgitating chairgunner does not make them HIS theories

and very interested in shooting longe range groups on paper with sub 12fpe. I have achieved a sub 2inch group of 20 shots at 100yds and have started another thread on here about it.

Nice shooting. What you have done is found an interesting goal and derived some enjoyment out of it, excellent

but there is no arguing that the man is very dedicated and knows more than most of us will ever know about long range shooting with air.

Not sure how you can say there's no arguing. Nobody has seen him shoot, nobody has verified his ranges or achievements. He has told at least 1 obvious lie, and his posts manifest a deep seated need fo rrecognition which is dangerous when asking for unverified belief.

I will continue to get in touch and discuss with him concerning his self proclaimed achievments,

sorry wolfie, there's a difference.

and hope to learn more, and I am even thinking of buying another FAC air rifle and set it at the same power as harrys to see if i can achieve similar results. I would never dream of shooting live quarry at these ranges with sub 12fpe.

so therefore you are contemplating shooting rabbits at over 100 yards. Nice touch. Harry has indeed achieved something

Harry is a very clever man and has dedicated a lot of time,
    Has he?
    and wishes to share his findings for all to see,
    He certainly does
    and have a go at it, I am certainly hooked.
    You certainly are

He should not have been banned IMO, but I could'nt read what went on during that time because I was on holiday.
    Then how do you know he shouldn't have been banned?
    So far, nobody has managed what Harry has alleged. His only proof comes from chairgunner and his own claims.

On one hand we have the finest shot the world has ever known. n the other we have an old attention seeker revelling in un provable claims.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

No problem Gary, I just like shooting to the maximum of my abilities, and Harry has re-ignited the flame within me to try and achieve some descent groups at longer ranges than standard FT distances.

I don't really care whether you or anyone else believes his claims or not. It's a bit of fun, and can be done given time and the right conditions.

All the best.

Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by Gary C View Post
    On one hand we have the finest shot the world has ever known.
    Annie Oakley is here?