Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning Wads

Cleaning Wads

I was wondering if anyone on here uses the felt cleaning wads on their guns. Its just that i seen them in a shop recently and they were quite dear at £5 or so for 80.
    I was tempted to buy them but realised that i have a box of rizla 6mm filter tips for hand rolled cigarettes. So i tried them on my ratcatcher, oiled the first one then a few dry ones. They were dirty at first but then came out reasonably clean, so i guess they were working.
    Has anyone else tried these??

P.S. a bit of advice, take off the silencer if you've got one fitted

for a .177 you could try the swan slimline filter tips, shooting these at birthday cards and the likes is also great fun

what do you think??

RochdaleLad Guest
    How much are those filters, anyway?

My mum and dad both smoke roll yer owns, so I have a "free" supply of them. Just hope they don't notice them going missing

David.

To be honest for the sake of a £5 better off with the proper things.

Pete

a box of 160 for around 60p from any tobacconist

Gone but not forgotten Guest
    Filter tips aren't made of the much denser felt material like the 'shoot through' wads, plus the filters are designed to pass air through their weave (otherwise your shirt-tail disappears when you try to suck on your roll-up, see?), while the felt pads aren't.

In practice therefore, I think you'll find that, although they'll pick up loose dirt and surface grime (and as a result emerge satisfyingly dirty) the filter tips won't expand into the rifling in the same way and therefore won't clean as thoroughly.

Even so, IMHO you can't beat 10 minutes with a proper pull-through, a few patches of 4"x2" and some gun oil. Old fasioned maybe, but it still works like nothing else.

regards
    BC

(otherwise your shirt-tail disappears when you try to suck on your roll-up, see?),

ROFLMAO

Laughed so much it hurt - nice one BC

Ogri the trog

RochdaleLad Guest
    This one just appealed to my penny pinching ways, that's all.... plus I keep forgetting to buy one of those pull through thingies.

Do they make 4.5mm pipe cleaners I wonder...

David.

i use the filter tip meathod cos mines a bsa with a roll breach.
    i`ve been told off on here before for suggesting it.
    apperently you dont get that buffer before the piston hits the transfer port.
    i had mk1 about 5 years and when i put a new spring in there was nothing wrong with the piston seal.
    as long as you remember to find something to cushion the barrel against, no probs. i.e get an old catalogue put the barrel about 5mm away from it and you should get the same effect on the piston as firing a pellet.
    my measurement might be wrong as i work in old money, but you get my drift.

well i suppose that's true but i was suggesting their use in Co2 and precharge guns.
    I read somewhere that you should use a pellet along with the cleaning wads if you were using them in a spring gun.

youi don`t need a pellet in a springer as there is not a lot of water in the air, and it`s expelled so quickly it won`t matter.
    one of the reasons the pumps on pre charged have been fitted with filters, is to keep the water out. the same applies to co2 in principal. cheap cartridridges have some water in them.
    since our choice of weapon is not made with live fire grade steel, it`s better to keep water at bay as much as possible.
    so if you are using a pre charged better get a filter.
    i had a pre charged cheapie chinese rifle once, still had no probs with the fag filter meathod of cleaning.

youi don`t need a pellet in a springer as there is not a lot of water in the air, and it`s expelled so quickly it won`t matter.
    I'm sorry?

Forgive me if I'm being a bit thick here .. but where did the sudden discussion on atmospheric water content appear from and it's application to springers?

I thought we were talking about using fag filters for barrel cleaning.....

Springers and water content??
    Effects on piston seals???
    Am I missing something here????

I must be getting old..

regards
    BC

don't worry i'm lost too, whooosh way over the head

Originally posted by liam555
    whooosh - way over the head
    Now don't YOU start going on about water too!!!!!!!!

regards
    BC