Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mossberg Hushpower 12g Moderator Cover

Thumbs up Mossberg Hushpower 12g Moderator Cover

Soon after acquiring my Hushpowered 12g Mossberg I realised that the solid black outline of the huge moderator had a tendency to catch the eye of the quarry it was pointed at - mostly crows - and decided I'd better find a way to camouflage it.

I began by wrapping scrim around it but this interfered with the sightline too much. Next I tried some camo tape, but this soon became tatty and began to peel off. I thought of painting it, but decided I'd prefer a more readily-reversible solution, so I started looking for a moderator cover.

The commercially-available neoprene moderator covers were obviously all too short, and the equivalent barrel covers were too narrow, so I tried asking BBS member William, whose bottle covers I'd seen on here, whether he could make me one.

He doesn't work with camo neoprene any more, owing to the high cost of the material, but offered me a choice of camo fabrics instead. Though the options included some familiar Mossy Oak and Realtree patterns, I went for a new conifer-based pattern by Camo West, called Vanish, which looked like it would be a good match for the places I set my hides.

To cut a long story a bit shorter, Will couldn't have been more helpful, and before long I got a bag through the post containing my new cover. As you can see -pics 1, 2, 3, 4- It has elasticated ends, fits like a glove, and does a great job of breaking up the moderator's outline. And for the princely sum of £14 including postage, I reckon it's seriously good value.

Anyway, I checked with Will that he wouldn't mind me posting a review, so if you fancy one for your Hushpower just drop him a PM.
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 15-09-2008 at 01:59 PM.

That's a good job - very professional.

How's the Hushpower? Do you find it useful in the field?

That's one mean looking shotgun with the grip and modded stock!

sitsinhedges Guest
    That's great, but what's with the armchair sitting where a rear sight might go

Lol I noticed the red dot cover too... I've never seen one on a non-slug shotty before though.

sitsinhedges Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by humperdingle View Post
    Lol I noticed the red dot cover too... I've never seen one on a non-slug shotty before though.
    Ahh, is that what it is, I thought it was somewhere comfy to sit whilst waiting for the pigeons to show up

The rather odd configuration of the gun comes about because I found I was mostly using the Mossberg to take out crows on some sitty trees around a pond rather than shooting at fast-moving flying targets.

To get the maximum killing range out of the Mossberg - necessary to reach out across the pond-, I decided to go for maximum accuracy so added a red dot, but once I'd done so I found that neither the factory stock, or the Hogue replacement, gave a good head position, so I fitted the ATI AR-style stock and grip shown in the photos.

The original sight fitted was a cheapo Chinese copy of the Docter sight. But that needs a new battery, so the Eotech was parked on top just in case I got a chance to go shooting before I could get the other sight powered up again!

On a still day, it is more effective to use an air rifle around the pond, but as soon as there's a bit of wind -i.e., most of the time- the Mossberg comes into its own. I find it almost as effective as a normal 12g, but considerably less likely to alarm other quarry or livestock in the area. From the shooter's perspective, it doesn't sound much quieter than an unmoderated gun, however.

I've also begun to load subsonic cartridges with #4 and BB shot, which I hope will get me a bit more range and make the gun a viable tool for ambushing foxes too.

sitsinhedges Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Gain View Post
    The rather odd configuration of the gun comes about because I found I was mostly using the Mossberg to take out crows on some sitty trees around a pond rather than shooting at fast-moving flying targets.

To get the maximum killing range out of the Mossberg - necessary to reach out across the pond-, I decided to go for maximum accuracy so added a red dot, but once I'd done so I found that neither the factory stock, or the Hogue replacement, gave a good head position, so I fitted the ATI AR-style stock and grip shown in the photos.

The original sight fitted was a cheapo Chinese copy of the Docter sight. But that needs a new battery, so the Eotech was parked on top just in case I got a chance to go shooting before I could get the other sight powered up again!

On a still day, it is more effective to use an air rifle around the pond, but as soon as there's a bit of wind -i.e., most of the time- the Mossberg comes into its own. I find it almost as effective as a normal 12g, but considerably less likely to alarm other quarry or livestock in the area. From the shooter's perspective, it doesn't sound much quieter than an unmoderated gun, however.

I've also begun to load subsonic cartridges with #4 and BB shot, which I hope will get me a bit more range and make the gun a viable tool for ambushing foxes too.

Did you find that it had a tendency to shoot very low, my Pedretti did and I made a little raised 'rear sight' to compensate.

Cheers Andy

Yes, it did shoot low, which I took to be due to the fact that extra diameter of the moderator compared to the standard barrel places the bead higher in relation to the muzzle, and thus causes the sight-line to diverge from the bore.

As well as the need to blot out the target with the moderator, I also found the lack of a sighting rib hard to get used to. Adding the low-profile Chinese red dot increased the kill rate because it let me place the centre of the pattern on the target whilst still keeping it in view.

Meanwhile the ATI kit raises the comb, provides adjustable LOP and gives better control under recoil, as well as a better trigger position.

The only problem with it is that it is a bit too light, making the gun more muzzle-heavy than with the standard stock, but I'm thinking of fitting an ATI shell-holder to the butt in the hope that half-a-dozen cartridges will redress the balance a bit.

Thumbs up go on that man

Well Mr GAin, what an interesting man you are Couldn't agree more about the camotape getting messy - what a great idea this camo sleeve is! I'll PM and ask for one straight away.
    AND you're solving my dilemma about subsonic fibre 4s Homeload them! Of course.....!
    How is their development going? Would you be interested in making some 5s too? We were going to ask Eley to make some but they wanted a minimum batch of 10 000 IIRC

ATVB and thanks to the bbs for making easy the sharing of developments such as this
    Marksmanship = Accuracy, Consistency, Observation and a little of The Force
    SharpshootingUK www.sharpshootinguk.com

Thanks for the compliment, Rich.

I've only just finished loading up my first batch of subsonics. They're BBs, but I've also got a container full of #4 shot which I'll try once I've got the BBs right.

I couldn't find a pre-existing felt-wadded recipe, so I've based my load on what I found in the factory Hushpower cartridges. After quite a lot of fiddling to get the press to produce loaded shells that didn't look like they'd been made by Dr. Frankenstein, I'm hoping they'll shoot reasonable patterns and actually be subsonic, but I suspect I still need to do a bit of fiddling with the height of the wad column.

All good clean fun!

Thumbs up thanks william

Just a shout out to william who also made me one of these top-quality hushpower covers. Perfect gentleman to deal with and the cover is perfect: great material, perfectly cut, sized EXACTLY to fit, prompt delivery. At £15 every hushpower should come with one!
    Thanks again mate

Mr Gain...these hushpower are so great - i took mine to my local clay ground yesterday with some Black Gold fibres, and shot my single best ever score! lmao I always thought i was going backwards slightly whenever i picked up my clay gun as i am so used to and shoot so well with my hushpower...and the scores prove it Talk about "keeps you swinging"
    To tell the truth i'm no expert on shotgun fit and am therefore no sure why this gun works well for me but one way or t'other, this gun fits me like a glove and anyone who has one will vouch that the patterns it throws are just perfect....
    ATVB Richard
    Marksmanship = Accuracy, Consistency, Observation and a little of The Force
    SharpshootingUK www.sharpshootinguk.com

Thumbs up

PM sent to william re supply of a Mossberg 500 Hushpower Cover
    Quote Originally Posted by Paddy_SP View Post
    I couldn’t leave the truck – Planet Rock was playing Deep Purple’s ‘Speed King’, and it’s against the law to switch it off part-way through.
    Lefty Gunz, CupramanRR, URX, Rapidnick, Lex, Jackel, mr ben, foxshooter, SCORCHA

Thank you both Mr Gain & Richness. Your + feedback makes very satisfying reading, shows I can do somethings right (sometimes)

Jack Daniels
    Pm on its way
    ATB
    Will..

Update:

The mod. cover William made me is still doing a great job, but I've stuck a bit of self-adhesive velcro (the hook side) to the near end of the moderator to help keep the cover in place when handled.

I've retired the Chinese red dot in favour of the Eotech, as the latter is perfect for the job - and, for some reason, easier to use on flying crows too. It also puts a bit more weight at the back of the action.

My home-loaded shells are looking neater now, and I went up a grain on the powder charge without them becoming supersonic, but now need to reduce the shot charge or find some thinner over-powder wads to avoid over-filling the hulls.

The #4 shot gives nice patterns at 40 yds -and kills better than the factory #6s- but the BBs are a bit open, so there's a bit more fiddling to do there.

Finally, the other day I missed a crow that flew over my hide (in a clump of hawthorn bushes) and he didn't even flinch, let alone give an alarm call. As far as I could see he simply didn't realise he'd been shot at, despite the sound of the shot. I've had a similar experience at the pond, where I've killed four in a row -shot the moment they land- without putting off the others circling around. It was only when I nailed a magpie that had come to see what was going on that they decided it wasn't a healthy place to be!
    Last edited by Mr. Gain; 06-11-2008 at 04:26 PM.

I posted elsewhere on here some time ago that I would be very interested in obtaining some subsonic 12 gauge cartridges suitable for fox - BB or #1 shot. There were 2-3 others expressed a similar need so I spoke to Charles at Just Cartridges. He reckoned he might find a manufacturer to produce a custom run but the minimum order would be 10,000.

If anyone is still interested it would be useful to have a "show of hands" on here. I still doubt we could get enough for a run of this size. Alternatively I would very much like to learn what is required to home load some - I have never tried anything similar before.

Thanks
    Ewen
    Live and learn, or deal with the corollary.