Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Wildcat Whisper mod for .17HMR

Hellequin is online now I used to be indecisive.....

Thumbs up Wildcat Whisper mod for .17HMR

I recently bought the above mod 2nd hand on here from Pierre. Today was my first opportunity to try it out and compare it against my previous mod (a SAK) so here are my (brief) findings.

Well, I started off by checking zero (bit of lottery today as the breeze got up) and straight away noticed the reduced muzzle noise over the SAK. Although I did not use any technical decibel measuring kit, it did seem considerably quieter to my mk1 lug holes, so I was well chuffed. There was negligible shift in zero too which I was quite relieved at!

I had a mooch around the estate later in the day and got 2 rabbits. Both were in sheltered areas of fields, one of them was between the woodline and some tall game cover. I think this exaggerated the noise as the crack sounded quite loud but to be honest it could just have been the crack from the round echoing around the place.

All in all I'm very happy with it. Yes, it is considerably more expensive than the SAK (which I still think is a great mod, btw) but it is even more compact on the gun than the SAK, looks better as a result and the build quality is superb. I'd be happy with it for these reasons alone but it is noticeably quieter too- well worth the dosh!

ATB
    Paul
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

i heard there top mods like the predator 8 and uk custom shop/wildcat rifles make them for 22lr now when i can afford one for my 22 it will be straight on my rimmy
    Cz 22 lr with 3-12×56 lanber 12g o/u DSC level 1 and 2
    Howa 1500 243 with atn x sight 2 NV Remmington 700 308
    Howa 1500 30-06 with atn x sight 2 NV smith & wesson 38/357 humain killer

Wildcat Whisper mod for .17HMR

I bought one of these lovely little whispers, really well made Mod and easy to clean. The wildcat does have the edge noise wise, but not a lot in it between the SAK. It sits a bit lower on the rifle than the SAK and look the part.

Regards

Friday
    MyRifles -Steyr LG110 .177cal - Sightron SIII 10-50x60-

Vermin Al is offline Some say, ..... 4,000fps is enough
    In addition, I found my groups tightened up with the Wildcat.

Nice bit of kit.

I saw one of these when I met up with Pierre and Andy at the Wildcat stand at the MGF. They looked very nicely made bits of kit.

Join the Free Speech Union
    ''All that is necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to glaze over and resume scrolling''.

If you want to find out just how much better they are than a SAK then fire round into a safe backstop at about 6 feet, you then take away any sonic crack and are left with muzzle noise, the SAK still has a fair bit, the Whisper has virtually none

Well worth the money IMO
    Baz

http://www.wildcatrifles.co.uk/

Quote Originally Posted by baz View Post
    If you want to find out just how much better they are than a SAK then fire round into a safe backstop at about 6 feet, you then take away any sonic crack and are left with muzzle noise, the SAK still has a fair bit, the Whisper has virtually none

Well worth the money IMO

Will have to give that a go only had mine less than a week, only used it once so far. I’m still very impressed with the Whisper on built quality and how quick and easy it is to clean alone. You can see were the extra cost is when you take it apart, it is worth every penny.

Regards

Friday
    MyRifles -Steyr LG110 .177cal - Sightron SIII 10-50x60-

Hellequin is online now I used to be indecisive.....

Thumbs up

Just a brief update on this one after a few weeks use with the Whisper.

I can say with much more certainty now that the Whisper seems much quieter than the SAK. I still don't have access to any proper decibel measuring kit but tried the test Baz suggested and the difference over the SAK was much more significant.

Even better is that, as someone else mentioned, my groups have tightened up considerably and are more consistent over those shot with the SAK fitted.

Overall I'm very happy and would definitely recommend spending the extra dosh on one of these little mods. Top kit indeed!

ATB
    Paul
    Wyrd bið ful aræd

wildcat whisper

Bought one of these with my C.Z. 452 american .22 and can vouch for their efficiency. Tested the mod in my garage firing into a sack of plaster with rws subsonics. All i heard was the click of the trigger and honestly thought the gun had misfired till i saw the hole in the bag!!!!! Now thats quiet!!
    Same result with CCI Stingers (who needs HMR)

cover with a neoprene cover ,cuts it down another 2 db ,did on my dm80, which is much quiter than the sak i had fitted

I bought one of these for my HMR and it is of top build quality although my Anschutz still has quite a report on it but I guess thats the sonic crack as suggested. Looking to assemble a .22 lr ensemble and was thinking of same mod in the .22 obviously!
    QUESTION; do you need to spend £120 on a .22 mod to get ultimate stealth or will cheaper mods work as well on that cal??

Quote Originally Posted by treerover View Post
    I bought one of these for my HMR and it is of top build quality although my Anschutz still has quite a report on it but I guess thats the sonic crack as suggested. Looking to assemble a .22 lr ensemble and was thinking of same mod in the .22 obviously!
    QUESTION; do you need to spend £120 on a .22 mod to get ultimate stealth or will cheaper mods work as well on that cal??
    if you fire subs in 22lr then there isnt much difference in the mods for that mate. a sak will do fine or more money a ase

wildcat whisper

excellent mod, light-weight, stripp'able, over the barrel so you can still use it from the car without yoga lessons and boy does it quieten the HMR muzzle crack.....bullet still sounds like mini saturn 5 take off but, the best mod i have used by far for a HMR. its calibre specific too.
    Rapid 7 / 10-22 ATN 2 Stiller Predator .204 Pulsar N970 Tikka T3 semi custom ATN MARS thermal.204 Tikka T3 Semi.223 Wylde IOR Operator Lawton 6mmBR Kahles Gen 3 - Stiller 6.5 x 47 Bushnell BDX - Winchester Red Performance SX3 12g

Quote Originally Posted by derek.snr View Post
    cover with a neoprene cover ,cuts it down another 2 db ,did on my dm80, which is much quiter than the sak i had fitted
    Hello

Does anyone know a source of neoprene covers that will fit the Wildcat moderator?

Regards..

..Titan
    Ego didici ex doctrina

Just cut a length of cycle inner tube to size.