Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PCP's....kick?

This could mean the centre of balance of your rifle is too far to the rear, depending how you hold and shoot it and in what posture, in certain circumstances. Or perhaps your grip or trigger technique could be modified. You sometimes see F.T. shooters have added weight to the front of their rifles. I've added weight to the rear of my EV2, to redress the balance. Just a few thoughts, not saying you're necessarily at fault, or your mate. Regards .... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

Quote Originally Posted by squirminator View Post
    My .22 FAC HW100T kicks a little more than the standard UK version.

I've closely compared the "view-through-the-scope" rat hunting videos posted on YouTube by a guy called "snypercat" (you can look these up - worth seeing). I know that he is UK based.

I cannot quite match his steadiness during shot release with my own HW100T rifle. I get a noticeable (albeit very small) jolt whenever I pull the trigger.

My rifle is putting out about 25-29 ft/lbs - his is below 12 ft/lbs.

It makes perfect sense if you think about it - Newton was right

I'd imagine that his groups are slightly tighter too.
    Clever fellow that Newton! However, I'm surprised that you notice anything at the power levels of your HW100. As far as my experience goes, any .22 air rifle under 30 ft lb feels totally inert. If I miss it is because I am not holding the rifle correctly or my breathing isn't under control not because of recoil. For me to notice the Newtonian third law effect, as I wrote in an earlier post, the power needs to be 40 ft lb-ish in .22 and its equivalent in other calibres otherwise the recoil is too small to notice. Even then it is very small. How many of us regard recoil as an issue when using .22LR or 17HMR?
    I suspect very few.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Most PCP do Kick

I have a .22 FX Gladiator set at 12fpe

If free standing very little recoil is felt but if the gun is bench rested their is a noticable jump which is due to the hammer spring rather than general recoil.

So if one could come up with a solution to generate a equal reaction EG: a Wiscomb two springs moving in opposit direction one would have a very accurate rifle.

Over to you Ben Tayor

PS The daystate mk3 i have tried had no recoil EG: electronic trigger.
    FX Gladiator .22 AirmaxSR12 6x18-44mm Hawke
    BSA Supersport .22 3x9-40mm Hawke. BSA Scorpion Pistol .177 1.5 x 20mm scope
    Theoben Sirrocco .177 3x9-40mm Hawke. Webley Alecto Pistol .177 2X7 x 32mm bsa scope

There is noticeable recoil, but only if you're able to apply a large amount of stillness to your position.
    If the rifle has a poor lock-time, and/or a particularly long barrel you may experience it knock you a few millimetres of target, and subsequently miss.

Things like being un-regulated and having a blank muzzle would probably make a difference, but given I generally avoid un-regged rifles for target work I've never spent any particular time assessing these theory's.

Steyr fit stabilizers for a reason, and I'd be interested to try out one of the LG100 High Powers, which did not have one fitted and compare.
    If you want to experience dreadful jetting, try a regulated Daystate MK3 .177. It might have been to do with the sleeved brake fitted to the FTR as standard, but the jump was exceptionally awful.

Charlts is offline I'm not the Messiah, I'm King of the Creedbros!
    Leicester, Wigston, 171.27 miles North of Calais!

Recoil

I've felt recoil with my old MK3 before it went into a heavier stock and my Dommie will jump a bit if I take the lead weights out of the stock. My MK3 was pretty hold sensitive in it's lightweight stock.

Ryan
    The toxicity of lead varies, depending upon the weight of its doseage and its velocity!

I've never had any recoil effect on my HW100, I just thought PCPs suffered a little muzzle flip & that's it. Fair enough my HW100 is running at legal limit velocity but if this is the case, surely there would have been some effect. If your rifle is running at getting on rimfire velocity like an FAC Career 707 (80 ft/lbs) then that could be plausible. Still, stranger things have happened. Having said that, if your HW100 is running at FAC velocities, the muzzle flip would be much harsher & the effect of the muzzle rising when the pellet exits the barrel, could give the illusion of recoil. I'd still like to know how that works out though, I love anything technical.

At 12 ft/lb it os more likely to be jetting causing a small push from the muzzel blast. Can feel it on my P70 Ft and that weighs 14 lb.
    Make every shot count.

Quote Originally Posted by Korium View Post
    Steyr fit stabilizers for a reason, and I'd be interested to try out one of the LG100 High Powers, which did not have one fitted and compare.
    If you want to experience dreadful jetting, try a regulated Daystate MK3 .177. It might have been to do with the sleeved brake fitted to the FTR as standard, but the jump was exceptionally awful.

High, this is my first message and English is not my mother languish so sorry for any errors.

I have the LG110HP 40joule in 5.5 and there is a small recoil when you shoot.
    You have to try really hard to notice, I think its the noise that makes you imagining things If i dry fire there is no recoil from the spring.
    I placed on my gun two pellets one on top of the other and fired, they didn't move more than .5mm and still stood in balance.

you will get recoil in a pcp as you do in any gun when you pull the trigger you cause an action that is the hammer being pushed by the hammer spring the momment it hits the valve stem it stops you would not be able to see this it happens to quick then you get the blast of air that air stops mommentarily till it opens the pellet skirt to shove it down the barrel try putting your cocked pcp on a table pull the trigger and watch it jump even without a pellet in it.

Paul
    I have guns because i enjoy shooting, what i dont enjoy is being screwed by red tape and a dishonest government.

Quote Originally Posted by trooper3.1 View Post
    you will get recoil in a pcp as you do in any gun when you pull the trigger you cause an action that is the hammer being pushed by the hammer spring the momment it hits the valve stem it stops you would not be able to see this it happens to quick then you get the blast of air that air stops mommentarily till it opens the pellet skirt to shove it down the barrel try putting your cocked pcp on a table pull the trigger and watch it jump even without a pellet in it.

Paul
    Don't forget to breathe

My Skan doesn't recoil much at all when dry fired (i.e. no firing pin & no air) But it certainly does when shooting normally. I can only conclude that the recoil from the rearwards action of the 'piston' is negligible, it's the pellet and air release that make the difference.

you deffo get a recoil from the hammer and excessive air upon an fac career. no doubt about it , but its hardly noticable upon something like a aa s4*0 and nothing upon my daystate mk3 electronic either.
    grim reaper to the bunny population!!

deano is offline Crack!.......Wheeee........Thup
    go an have a go of a .300 RUM!