Thread: PCP's....kick?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    Yep, 90-95% of the muzzle flip is when firing a pellet only, once or twice I fired fresh air .. and judging solely by the feel the muzzle flip near dissapeared. The "For every reaction there is an equal and opposite reaction" principle in action here. Was using JSB 4.52, would the theoretical reduction in friction of a 4.51 diam pellet reduce it a little.. or would pellet skirt expansion nulify this?

As John says, i was experimenting with different clamping and supports to see what was produced the best results. Interestingly, a loose clamp to act solely as the horizontal hinge and ensure totally vertical muzzle flip coupled with minimal butt support proved to have the most consistant POI... same principle as a springer but only apparent at the 94 yard range we were attempting.

I attempted resting the rubber butt pad on the table and I could feel the vibration which made the groups about 5 times worse.

My very 1st 3 shots of the day (with the loose clamping and minimal support) were within aprox 1.2 inch (iirc John?) the breeze picked up a little.. I then got a few wind affected shots that took it out to about 4 iches The highlight of this 8 shot group was 3 shots through ONE ragged hole!

Spot on mate
    Enlightening stuff lads, maybe the PCP's aren't as 'dead' as I thought

well at 82 ft/lb in a career and a 30 grain pellet , the gun jumps a lot, the thing is the hammer in this model is that big you get recoil of the firing mechanism alone !!!! and then there is the shotgun loud crack .. but on a 12ft/lb rifle , i have only ever known a bullpup carbine with a barrel shroud to have muzzle flip that felt like a bit of recoil at the shoulder.
    grim reaper to the bunny population!!

PCP's do recoil and how!
    I saw a video on the tube thingy of someone firing a .50 cal pneumatic and it nearly bowled him over backwards.
    I think he was not expecting that reaction from the gun.
    At the other end of the scale, I shoot a 6ft lb target pneumatic rifle and I do feel a very small nudge as the pellet exits, probably jet effect more than anything else.

as mentioned earlisr "every action has an opposite but equal reaction" as a pistol shooter i would suggest going back to basics i.e. stance,grip, sights,follow through.
    recoil is a constant ,in a 10m,20yd pistol dicipline there is no wind so bad shots are down to bad technique. have a look at target shooting info/books to analize your faults.
    the rika or scatt shooter training systems are excellent at this;if you have the facility?
    steyr lp5,steyr lp10,hw77k,bsa buccaneer .177,bsa scorpion .177,original 6g
    happy with my lot!

Muzzle stability can be improved with a silencer fitted but in the case in question, Weihrauch silencers are very light. I found my accuracy improved, shooting an S400C with a 'heavy' Logun silencer fitted, because muzzle movement was slower and less jumpy with the extra weight at the front. Regards .... Geek
    PauL H. - Shotgoon
    Brownings: 1999 Ultra XS; 2004 B525 Field; 2010 Maxus Hunter: Air Arms 1998 Mk.2 Pro-Target, 2001 Mk.2 Pro-Sport & 2003 S400C

ok with my 57ft/lb shooting 31grain barracudas, recoil is felt. my groups are much better when i hold the gun snug and fit rather than light recoil and i use a small sand bag underneath the butt. what happens when i shoot long distances is usually this and i know right away that i called the shot incorrectly. When i squeeze the trigger the reticle jumps and does not return to the original Point of Aim thus i mark it on the logbook as an incorrect shot. in these cases the reticle usually returns to place where the pellet has hit further showing that the shot was not taken properly.

As soon as i squeeze the trigger the rifle butt moves slowly backwards and downwards since the stock is slanting thus sometimes i do throw one or two shots above the group that had formed so nicely. i regret that i never had a stock made with a flat butt like those used on F class because the slanting stock is not good enough for the precision i try for and when you do everything perfect, you read the wind, you dial the correct elevation, recheck the distance and then blow your shot high because of this, it is definately frustrating. i might get a monopod to sort this problem out really that waythe gun would notmove downwards.

Exclamation

Newton's Third Law of Motion (every action has an equal and opposite reaction) applies to precharged air rifles as it does to everything else. The reason you don't feel it at low power levels is that it is so small. it is related to the energy in the pellet so as pellets get heavier and MV gets faster the effects begin to be noticed. In .22 I notice it around 40 ft lb with 21.4grain Bismags. In .25 I certainly notice 31 grain Baracudas being spat out of the rifle at 55 ft lb. In .177 the only time you would notice it would be when using very heavy pellets at 30+ ft lb.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.