Thread: 1906 BSA Bayonet under-lever Model ‘H’ Rifle Valuation Please?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire

1906 BSA Bayonet under-lever Model ‘H’ Rifle Valuation Please?

Rifle As Detailed Now SOLD to Good Guy mjohno. Thanks For Looking.

Notwithstanding my Webley MkI, BSA Light Pattern, and BSA Breakdown, my main air gun collecting area is British made guns of the last half of the last century. Therefore, when it comes to the above detailed rifle, I am a little out of my depth hence my call for help.

A good friend has asked me to investigate the rifle in question and get a value on so as to sell for him to an appreciative collector. The rifle was actually in regular use up until two years ago by the Grandfather of the current owner, and aparently shoots very nicely indeed (although I'll bet it could do with a re-lube). I have seen this rifle, and must say that because it has been in regular use for the past 101 years it is far from mint, but at the same time is no where near so bad as to even contemplate breaking for spares. As I say, it is a used shooter, and does exactly as it says on the tin.

No original blue remains (which is hardly surprising after 100 years service), and all the metal has turned patina (brown hew) but there is no rust. One of the bayonet under-lever link pins has been replaced within the last few years though, and where this link pin has been filed flush, there are the few unavoidable smooth silver file marks on the surrounding metal. There is also an inch long split in the wooden stock to the left side of the butt where it joins the action, but this has obviously been like it for a good thirty or so years, as the slim area exposed by this crack has naturally aged to be in keeping with the rest of the dark wooden butt which also features a chequered pistol and palm grip, and a fashioned steel butt plate.

The over all length of this historic piece is exactly 43.5” and it has the famous BSA Piled Arms logo just in front of the loading port on the barrel. The chap who once owned and used this rifle on his small holding to keep the pigeons and bunnies at bay is sadly no longer with us, but his Grandson who has asked me to assist in finding it a new home (as he personally has no interest in shooting) seems to think he (his Grandad) inherited it from his own Grandfather just before WWII? This we will never know for sure, but it does kind of stack up, and it is such a nice story I choose to believe it to be true.

The current owner also swears blind that his Grandfather used to refer to this rifle as his BSA ‘H’ but the only similar looking bayonet under lever rifle of 1906 that was called an ‘H’ that I can locate in any of my books was badged Lincoln Jefferies, and the ‘H’ stood for ‘Heavy’. As stated however this rifle has the Piled Arms logo stamped into it. This is where I need help from those more knowledgeable than me (which ain’t hard) then: identifying which model BSA this might be? The serial number which is clearly visible on the left hand side of this rifle just above the trigger reads 4113 which my book(s) confirm is from 1906.

I know BSA made the component parts for Lincoln Jefferies rifles, but did they also produce their own version of the ‘H’ or was it just the simply titled ‘BSA Air Rifle’ (1906 to 1908) that they made around that time, which for some reason was referred to by this rifle’s previous owner as his BSA ‘H’? As a foot note here, I have been all over the rifle and can not find an ‘H’ monogram anywhere. Also, am unable to take photos to post unfortunately due to the resurgent problem of a faulty camera, but the rifle in question is exactly as described, and fitted with exactly the same style of woodwork as on the Lincoln Jefferies Heavy Model as featured at the top of page 16 in Dennis Hiller’s big green (4th edition) book.

Right then, that’s quite enough waffle from me for one Bank Holiday weekend, all/any help with model identification and/or sensible values (remember it is not mint, but fair to average for its age) posted below will be greatly appreciated. This isn’t an advert thread however, so no offers to buy yet please, as first I wish to gather as much info as possible.

ATB : Gareth W-B.
    Last edited by Gareth W-B; 26-08-2007 at 08:58 PM. Reason: now sold.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.