Thread: lead ideal temp for casting

lead ideal temp for casting

is it a suck it and see time or is they an ideal temp etc.... i have a digital thermometer with a thermocouple probe ( bit of wire i think ) and a temp range up to 760c....can i dip the probe in or use a conductor in the lead then take it off that etc
    Last edited by loiner1965; 26-08-2007 at 09:38 AM.

The ideal temp will be the one that is just enough to get the job done! Lead (pure) melts at about 330C. Make absolutely certain that the mould (or mold if you are American ) is dry as a bone and not of a shape that will trap pockets of air - I've made one or two mistakes like this. If possible, heat the mould before pouring.

The lead temperature will vary from job to job. It will need to be hot enough to pour and to not solidify when it meets the cooler mould, so it really depends on the exact process you intend to follow, and how big and hot the mould is before pouring!

Play safe - wear eye protection!

Doug
    ... 'My Good Deals' - see >here<, post #538
    BASC
    >visit their website< & find out how to join

Quote Originally Posted by termin8R View Post
    The ideal temp will be the one that is just enough to get the job done! Lead (pure) melts at about 330C. Make absolutely certain that the mould (or mold if you are American ) is dry as a bone and not of a shape that will trap pockets of air - I've made one or two mistakes like this. If possible, heat the mould before pouring.

The lead temperature will vary from job to job. It will need to be hot enough to pour and to not solidify when it meets the cooler mould, so it really depends on the exact process you intend to follow, and how big and hot the mould is before pouring!

Play safe - wear eye protection!

Doug
    cheers doug,,,made lots of bullets before but just wondered if they was an ideal temp rather than wrinkled / frosted bullets etc

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    cheers doug,,,made lots of bullets before but just wondered if they was an ideal temp rather than wrinkled / frosted bullets etc
    Well, I'd say that the wrinkles show the lead is too cold, whilst the frosting shows that you're chilling the filled mould too quickly - I'd guess that you are pouring, rather than using a pincers type mould that you dip in the melting pot?

Cheers,
    Doug
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by loiner1965 View Post
    just wondered if they was an ideal temp rather than wrinkled / frosted bullets etc
    Wrinkled means the lead is setting when it hits the mould, just dump them back in the pot, keep pouring and dumping until the mould warms up.

If the lead is to hot your balls will take on a golden sheen.

If the mould is too hot the ball falls apart when you open the mould and the lead drops out the middle

Quote Originally Posted by robinghewitt View Post
    If the lead is to hot your balls will take on a golden sheen.

... You can get the same effect from sunbathing without your shorts.

Doug
    BASC

Quote Originally Posted by termin8R View Post

... You can get the same effect from sunbathing without your shorts.

Doug
    best ask mad mark about this