View Poll Results: Would you be happy for a working classic to be broken for spares?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes, I see no problem.

8 32.00%
  • No, I think that working classics should be kept intact or restored.

17 68.00%

Thread: Breaking classics for spares?

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy

Breaking classics for spares?

After a problem in this section I thought it would be worth asking the question, "Is it acceptable to take a working classic airgun out of circulation to use or sell as spares?"

I have no problem with a non working one being sold as 'Spares or Repair' but I don't think it's good to break a fully working classic for spares.

e.g. if you were seling a classic that was working but needed a little TLC would you back out of the sale if you discovered that the buyer was going to break it for spares?

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    There are some very good engineering chaps on this board, and I would approach one of them to make up a part first before breaking up a working gun for bits - cannibalisation - I believe it is called.

Hiya mate, The problem is allway,s the same,!!! people allway,s ( Well mostly ) want the same part ?
    As a couple of example,s
    Webley Mk111 ( Good guns ) leather piston washer ! Spring ( Maybe early trigger) Possible tap lever/barrel.
    Bsa scorpion Pistol ( hammer ) & O ring Breech seal & spring !
    Bsa meteor ( Piston ) Why I know ! & Sights,

I was trying to give an Example, Of how you could be left with spares on your hands, I Tried this, Webley Mk111. 6, requests for rear sights,
    I could go on, But you get my drift, Some parts wear out,

The kicker of course, Is Open Sights ! Buy them all, Its the year of the " Scope " No one uses open sights ( Except me, & not a good shot anyway
    Ha ha, Maybe because of !
    Do a search, You will see I have tried this before ?
    As a " Test case "
    Complete & shooting Bsa Scorpion Pistol ! Breaking for spares ? Good to Average condition !
    Or a Relum Tornado ( Very good condition ) breaking for spares
    Cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by gedfinn 2 View Post
    Hiya mate, The problem is allway,s the same,!!! people allway,s ( Well mostly ) want the same part ?
    Feinwerkbau Sport - the stock.

ATB
    Ian
    Founder & ex secretary of Rivington Riflemen.
    www.rivington-riflemen.uk

Snooper601 is offline I likes to polish my trophy
    Hi Ian,

The FWB stock situation may be releived soon as Antonio has agreed to take my spare as a pattern to do some GinB ones.
    That should allow some originals back on the market, or reduce the demand for good replcements.

Cheers

John
    Snooper601 Suspect a simple fault, or a simple engineer He who dies with the most toys wins!
    QHAC Official lubricant development engineer.

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Quote Originally Posted by Snooper601 View Post
    Hi Ian,

The FWB stock situation may be releived soon as Antonio has agreed to take my spare as a pattern to do some GinB ones.
    That should allow some originals back on the market, or reduce the demand for good replcements.

Cheers

John
    Maccari is still selling replacement stocks, they are about £150 in walnut.

http://www.airguns.citymax.com/catal...83/4903002.htm

It depends really, If it's in full working order, even if it's a little tatty, then I would consider it a shame. Sometimes, 'well used' condition can add to a rifle's character as it shows it's age and the wear it's endured over the years.

If it had parts broken or missing, and too much cost or difficulty sourcing the needed parts, then I would probably break it for spares.

Is anyone doing FWB Sports barrels, cylinders, pistons or trigger blocks?

ATB
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by I. J. View Post
    Is anyone doing FWB Sports barrels, cylinders, pistons or trigger blocks?

ATB
    Ian
    The best thing to do would be to replace the barrel, cocking arm, cylinder and triggerblock etc, with those from a Weihrauch HW95 (proper one with open sights) and perhaps use a HW95 stock. A Feinwerkbau sticker can be applied to the right of the breechblock. Most of the younger viewers wouldn't notice...

Serioously, the Sport's standard of engineering would be difficult to replicate, the cylinder and barrel are so crisp and exact. Maybe there are lots of scrappers in Germany, might be worth looking at eGun...

Quote Originally Posted by Hsing-ee View Post
    The best thing to do would be to replace the barrel, cocking arm, cylinder and triggerblock etc, with those from a Weihrauch HW95 (proper one with open sights) and perhaps use a HW95 stock. A Feinwerkbau sticker can be applied to the right of the breechblock. Most of the younger viewers wouldn't notice...
    Where can these 'Feinwerkbau' stickers be obtained?

ATB
    Ian