Thread: Another go at 70yds - this time with a decent rest

Born Again Guest

Another go at 70yds - this time with a decent rest

I had another go today, it wasn't bad, slight breeze right to left occasionally turning to come from behind.

This time I took a different rifle rest here

This rest clamps the rifle at the front between two neoprene lined uprights. The rear is adjustable for height by a screw, but I didn't use that, I adjusted height using my thumb under the pistol grip.

I tried a few different pellets, Mosquito 7.9, Daystate FT, Barracuda Gold, Crosman Premier. all 0.177. Rifle is my Rapid2.

I only shot 1 group each pellet, intending to do more, in a circular style, but the wind got up.

This is the best group, mosquitos Here

I was quite pleased, this was the best group by about 1/4" so future testing will be with the Mossies.

This is the view through the scope Here

Born Again Guest
    Yes, that's the Jungle Range . On the map I have a theoretical 400yd maximum but the land is quite hilly, I'll have no problem making 100yds next time I've got the saw up there but I have a feeling that the extra 30yds is going to really open up the groups.

I was pretty pleased with that group, not least because it confirmed that the mosquitos are capable of good accuracy at longer range. I want to use one pellet for everything in case an opportunist shot presents itself in a tree half way along the range, as it did yesterday .