Thread: Forgive me

Question Forgive me

Hi
    Forgive me for sounding stupid but what is the max range when it comes to long range target shooting. 150yrds can be a challenge for me and a powder burner. I honestly didn't know that you guys were shooting this far with air
    Are there many comps for this disipline.
    Marc
    Money can't buy friends, but it can get you a better class of enemy.
    Spike Milligan
    http://www.picturetrail.com/blackbird1969

Quote Originally Posted by blackbird View Post
    Hi
    Forgive me for sounding stupid but what is the max range when it comes to long range target shooting. 150yrds can be a challenge for me and a powder burner. I honestly didn't know that you guys were shooting this far with air
    Are there many comps for this disipline.
    Marc
    You are Harry and I claim my £10.

Quote Originally Posted by bullbarrel View Post
    You are Harry and I claim my £10.
    Don't be rude
    I just haven't thought about it before. I just didn't realise it was quite that far.
    I supose a pellet has a max range but its trying to get the grouping way out there.
    Marc
    Money can't buy friends, but it can get you a better class of enemy.
    Spike Milligan
    http://www.picturetrail.com/blackbird1969

No, there are no comps (at least as of yet) People on here have just started experimenting at these ranges after a certain Aussie (Harry) ruffled a few feathers by informing us of his achievements. Initially there were major doubts with regards to his alleged groupings but a few have gone on to achieve similar. The biggest variable is the wind, even a gusting .25mph breath of wind is enough to ruin a group.
    Re- max range, How long's a piece of string? I guess its down to what the wind conditions, Ft/lb, FPS, pellet weight and bc allow, I reckon 100 yards is pushing the boundaries of sub 12ft/lb paper target shooting. You can see what Geoffs 70FPE Condor is capable of though..

Quote Originally Posted by Zico View Post
    People on here have just started experimenting at these ranges...
    Beg to differ.

I'm looking at an article that describes the author's experiences of shooting inanimate targets in the UK at ranges up to 50 yards using a BSA Merlin (a 350fps .22" junior underlever), to 100 yards with an 18fpe Sheridan Blue Streak (pre the 1968 Firearms Act?), to 75 yards with a Webley Supertarget and to 100-200+ yards with a 12fpe Daystate Huntsman.

The article was published In Sporting Air Rifle magazine, November 1985.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    Beg to differ.

I'm looking at an article that describes the author's experiences of shooting inanimate targets in the UK at ranges up to 50 yards using a BSA Merlin (a 350fps .22" junior underlever), to 100 yards with an 18fpe Sheridan Blue Streak (pre the 1968 Firearms Act?), to 75 yards with a Webley Supertarget and to 100-200+ yards with a 12fpe Daystate Huntsman.

The article was published In Sporting Air Rifle magazine, November 1985.
    Would you care to scan it and stick it up?

I always liked SAR

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Born Again Guest
    Hi Marc,

This long range stuff is just a bit of fun at present. I don't think anyone is taking it seriously but it might lead to a better understanding of what happens to pellets at 55yd FT distances.

Harrys famous 150yd groups are looking pretty unlikely here, as the majority of us have 12ft/lb rifles and conditions are way less than perfect. There have been some interesting results though, but I take them with a pinch of salt until I've seen them myself.

Quote Originally Posted by RichardH View Post
    Would you care to scan it and stick it up?

I always liked SAR

Richard
    Thank you for that Richard. I was quite fond of SAR myself...

Had I been the author I would have been pleased to scan and post it, but the copyright rests with the author - Geoff Toye - and, as a fellow author, I would not dream of infringing it. Sorry.

Jim

Have you seen Tim Finleys 100 yard group?

Looks pretty do-able to me.

Richard
    A man can always use more alcohol, tobacco and firearms.

Barnsley, South Yorkshire (ooop North) :)
    I would love to have a go at 100-150 yards on an indoor range (never seen one that long though). Maybe someone on here has access to a big warehouse and could organise something. I bet you could get some very decent groups indoors.
    Quote Originally Posted by draftsmann View Post
    When you see an ant superglue a piece of cotton to it, then let it walk you back to the nest.
    Adrian

98 SNAKE EATER Guest
    I shoot @ 100 yards with my springer as that's all my backyard will allow...

Here's a video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SA-1X3jGi1M

I'd like to take a crack at sumthin further (perhaps 140-150), but I'll have to shoot from the front yard and risk having my neighbors freak