Thread: Lamping – my take on it.

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by noddy6560 View Post
    my first post.
    this year i moved from my HW95 springer and invested in a BSA SCORPION PCP, the guy had it zeroed for me and i hardly had to touch the scope. What an extremely accurate weapon. my success rate has tripled. i tried lamping last year using a Logan lamp, but being a newcomer to the sport, i was lucky to get a shot off. But this year my stalking has improved and also my knowledge of my permission has grown, and i have determined route which i follow, which is also know to the wife should i be overly late., and this year i am hoping to be much more successfully with lamping, although now i wish i had a dimmer, can one be made or fitted to a login lamp.
    Don't know re the dimmer but I dont see why not. The Deben one is nice in that it has an on/off switch and the rotary dimmer so you can mount it on the rifle stock if on foot or hold in your hand if in a vehicle.
    I dont rate Logun and if you havnt got your stalking technique sorted then I think the low output from a logun will hold you back.

The two posts from Whitster and Hadaka Jimmy are top notch - suggest you re-read them and try and remember it all.

If you can, shooting from a vehicle is brilliant - especially if you are there for pest control as a 2 ton truck can get right close but you step on a twig and it will clear the field of coney
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Re Lamping

I have been going out lamping with rifles air and rimfire also with Lurchers for the last 35 years, this is a fantastic way of pest control and good fun too.
    No one as yet has mentioned about weather conditions and the position of the Moon, in my experience the best bags I have had are on Moonless nights after some showers of rain.
    I have also noticed that Rabbits seem to have two feeds and be out about 1 hour after dark falls and then another about 3 to 4 hours later.
    Hope this info improves your bags good hunting.

Great lamp/torch

I have been using a cateye bike light with orange sweet paper as a filter, powered by a 6v battery tucked under my left armpit. However I recently visited a Tesco Extra store and found what I think is a bargain. A black C cell torch costing £12. Puts a light out over 70 yds and for me is perfect. The torch is 30mm so mounting it to a sight bracket wasn't too difficult.
    £12 and a couple of rechargeable batteries compared to £60 + was no contest

Hi, just been reading through all the posts and a great read it has been. One thing to try if you are finding that the Rabbit's run off as soon as you turn the lamp off to try and get closer. Instead of turning it off when you spot a Rabbit too far off lower the beam so that the Rabbit sits on the top edge of the beam and move quickly and quietly till you are in range and slowly raise the beam, only using enough light to shoot by. It has worked for us on many occasions with lamp shy Rabbit's and is worth a try if they are not sitting for you.

atv Paul.

tesco torch

Totally agree about the tesco torch, i have a deben tracer max (not cheap) and a night vision scope that i use on an S200, i used to use the deben on my HW100 as the gun was too heavy with the nightvision scope on it and use the nightvision for spotting with so only put the lamp on to shoot (10 secs max) i had read about the tesco torch but could only get one online (tesco direct) cost £17 delivered, i bought a flip up scope shade(£2.50) that fit perfect over the end of the torch and put some green filer paper in it, i bought a small bike pump from wilkinsons (£4.99) which had two plastic clips on it for attaching to your bike (just push on) i attached them to the torch and attached the torch to the silencer on my HW100 it fits perfect and does'nt move and the best of it all is it is a push button on the back of the torch to turn it on.... Ideal... this is every bit as good as my tracer max and a 4th of the price, this is all i use now!
    Have noticed when i bought the torch it was advertised as 3watt and now its only advertised as 1 watt...
    http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-8191.aspx