Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lamping – my take on it.

Re Lamping

I have been going out lamping with rifles air and rimfire also with Lurchers for the last 35 years, this is a fantastic way of pest control and good fun too.
    No one as yet has mentioned about weather conditions and the position of the Moon, in my experience the best bags I have had are on Moonless nights after some showers of rain.
    I have also noticed that Rabbits seem to have two feeds and be out about 1 hour after dark falls and then another about 3 to 4 hours later.
    Hope this info improves your bags good hunting.

Thumbs up Exelent

Hi new to lamping as only got lamp for christmas
    folowed your tips last night got 8 rabits in about 1.5 hours

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by v8kcm View Post
    Hi new to lamping as only got lamp for christmas
    folowed your tips last night got 8 rabits in about 1.5 hours
    good man, happy to help, were they a bit jumpy or did they play ball?

very good. thanks for that. ive been out alot of times on my own as a newb and i have only recently started to bag sum goodies. i have also recently shot my first daylight bunnie. alot harder than first thought. im only 19 so many years to learn. helped me alot mate.

taaa!!
    weapon of choice : webley raider single shot .22

scopes : smk 3-9X40E with projected lazer

Thumbs up lamping

high mate i have been shooting for many years and have never had the chance to do any lamping, i have been considering trying on the 2 farms that i shoot on , after reading your lamping tips i am am certainly going to give it a go, but i think i might wait till it gets a bit warmer before i do, (getting to old) but i have certainly learned a lot from your tips, many thanks,
    muzzy

Great lamp/torch

I have been using a cateye bike light with orange sweet paper as a filter, powered by a 6v battery tucked under my left armpit. However I recently visited a Tesco Extra store and found what I think is a bargain. A black C cell torch costing £12. Puts a light out over 70 yds and for me is perfect. The torch is 30mm so mounting it to a sight bracket wasn't too difficult.
    £12 and a couple of rechargeable batteries compared to £60 + was no contest

Hi, just been reading through all the posts and a great read it has been. One thing to try if you are finding that the Rabbit's run off as soon as you turn the lamp off to try and get closer. Instead of turning it off when you spot a Rabbit too far off lower the beam so that the Rabbit sits on the top edge of the beam and move quickly and quietly till you are in range and slowly raise the beam, only using enough light to shoot by. It has worked for us on many occasions with lamp shy Rabbit's and is worth a try if they are not sitting for you.

atv Paul.

i found that a very interesting and usefull post

Type of lamps available

Hey guys,
    I've been lamping a few times now. I want to get a lamp of my own for my scope. I've borrowed a logun lamp, which has been pretty good, but you pay good money for good product. I was wondering what other good brands of lamp are out there & how much they cost....

Yours stu

good lamp

look into these are brilliant i got one done all the mods they and still under £25 witch is real cheap and better then any logan lamp i have seen

http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-8191.aspx

and how to mod
    i will do it for you for free just send it me with the correct bits
    http://direct.tesco.com/q/R.203-8191.aspx
    IF IT DIES THEN ITS DEAD

Very info good write up mate

Always remember to check battery levels and/or take spares. I didn't last night cut short after only one in the bag.
    mankind is merely a gnats fart in the great wind of creation, but it sure does stink up the place.

Rule No1

Rule No1 when lamping....carry spare batterys...Plenty.

Thanks

And ammo of course lol....
    Last edited by BSAlightning_XL; 27-10-2009 at 09:31 PM. Reason: none

Smile

very good thread mate enjoyed the read with one or two good points.sooner be on foot myself and keep the bag just ticking over .
    Quote Originally Posted by Whitester View Post
    What you are about your read is how I lamp my shoots and it’s a sort of a beginners guide that cuts most of the crap. I can’t include everything as it would take too long but use these techniques or a combination of these techniques and you won’t go far wrong.

You can get good results on foot but the 4 X 4 is the way to get big bags. However it can get a bit boring after you've shot your twentieth sitter from 25 yards. So if you want to challenge yourself go on foot and go with a lamp.

Red filters aren't necessary and I personally feel that white light is better. A dimmer switch gives you an advantage but it's not essential. It's also easier with two ie one on the lamp and one on the gun. I’ll explain it with two people but the technique can be used by the lone lamper two.

Anyway, flick your lamp on and scan the field moving from the hedge line outwards. Only do this for a matter of seconds and not too far out in front of you, say 70 yards, now turn you lamp off . If you have picked up some eyes then the stalk is on. You have to be downwind and you have to be as silent as possible and that means clothes that don't make a sound. You also have to be aware of your silhouette on the horizon. Walk slowly towards the rabbit’s last position and try to walk along the hedge line so as to keep yourself between the hedge and the rabbit. Using the dimmer switch bring the lamp beam from the hedgeline out every 20 paces or so to try and locate new rabbits or check that the one you are stalking is still there. Remember you only want a dimm beam to locate not to illuminate. You will see there eyes and it shouldn't spook them.

Once you are in range the lampman and the gun man need to know that each one is ready. Once they are make sure the lamp man is behind the line of fire but to the side of the gun and far off enough so as not to illuminate him when the lamp is switched on.

Using the dimmer switch slowly turn the power up, as you see the eyes reflecting back put the beam to the side of the rabbit so that it will light him up but so that it's not in his face and make sure the beam is on the side of the hedge so that when it's turned up, it effectively blocks the rabbits path back to the hedge.

Just increase the beam until the gun man can get a picture of the rabbit in his sights, then bobs your uncle, you've put a rabbit in the bag under lamp light, if only it were that simple.

This obviously works but rabbits do get jumpy in lamp light. They will either sit still as above, move slowly to another position or full on bolt.

If they are just slowly sloping off then dim the light and follow it until it stops and try again, it could be that you'll need to whack the lamp up full to get them to sit still but try the gentle approach first because a full beam can make them bolt and you could loose them forever.

Ok when and if they bolt it 's gloves off time. You need to try and stop them with the lamp. Follow them as best as you can with the lamp and try and put the full beam in front of them. In theory they should stop at the full beam unwilling to cross it and sit still, this is the point at which you should shoot them as they won't sit still for long.

This will work but sometimes they need a bit of encouragement to stop them in their tracks such as flicking the beam from side to side in a sort of strobe affect around the rabbits head. This is quite effective and works well but it can’t be done by the lone lamper and can only be achieved by a dedicated lamp man.

I’ve simplified it above and experience will tell you how to read a rabbits behaviour and what to do with the lamp in various situations. For me this is the hardest strand of our sport and apart from going in with a catapult there is no other shooting discipline that can match it for skill, IMOP. I’m still in no way an expert lamper and I would imagine it takes a good many years to become one. Some people try it and get fed up with going back with nothing so they buy NV in an attempt to increase there bag but stick with it, going out with an experienced lamper is a good way to learn.

So there you have it, this is my technique, it works. Some rabbits just won’t sit still so just leave those and move onto another. Also don’t be dis-heartened by empty handed trips, when I first started lamping I returned empty handed the first 12 times but then again I knew nothing about the subject then and that’s the key, there’s no substitute for experience so just get out there and gain some, you’ll be bowling over bunnies before you know it.

####################################
    Last edited by SteveH; 07-03-2010 at 03:15 PM.