Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: payment for goods

zooankski Guest

payment for goods

has anyone had any problems with receiving goods they have paid for from other members of the forum?
    i am just wondering as i have had no response from a member since paying him for an item and its money i cant afford to lose!

Gary C Guest
    We have a problem every couple of months. They are usually sorted amicably. best contact them again explaining your concern, then if still no response name and shame on here.

Just make sure of your facts before accusing.

atb

gary

draftsmann Guest
    By "no response" you mean emails not replied to, phone calls diverted to voicemail and not returned, etc? If it is only a few days there may be a perfectly reasonable explanation. Your best bet would be to email the one of the admins in the first instance.

Previous threads started by dissatisfied parties to deals have turned fairly nasty, and IMHO discussing deals gone bad in open forum should be a last resort.

In answer to the question, I have bought loads of stuff from BBS members, and have found everyone I have dealt with to be an absolute gent. Sorry you have not had such a good experience. I hope it is resolved - be consoled to know that more often than not these things are sorted out satisfactorily.

Adrian

Guesty Guest
    Yes, I am currently undergoing a problem where I have paid for goods which I have still to receive in full -nearly six weeks later!
    The vendor has stated extenuating personal circumstances, but I am feeling aggrieved, and wishing I'd never got involved.

Gutted.

Guesty.

woosty Guest
    I've done a few deals on here, and seem to have come out unscathed. Sadly there are some individuals that 'misuse' the mutual trust arrangement.

Bully Guest
    I have bought a few rifles & scopes from members of the BBS, and have never had a problem.

In my experience the guys on here are geniune and bar one minor problem with a rifle I bought for my father, the goods have been exactly as described.

I would suggest face to face meets when parting with large amounts of cash.

Bully

Gone but not forgotten Guest
    I might be old fashioned, but I wouldn't send money or goods to somebody I didn't 'know', regardless of circumstances, unless I was prepared to risk their disappearance. Doing a long-distance deal with somebody who has 25 posts and has been a 'presence' for 2 weeks is, IMHO, risky.

For that reason, I've only dealt with guys who've been on here for a considerable length of time - and whom I therefore 'know'.

Perhaps because of that, not only have I never had a problem, I have invariably been astonished by the frank openness of the guys I've dealt with here and also with the excellent quality of second-hand kit they've sold me. (I hope the feeling's reciprocated! )

I seem to remember Gary_C tried to set up a database of members last year, containing details of their individual trading histories to which BBS members could refer. A superb idea that, IIRC, was terminated because somebody complained bitterly that their entry was 'unfair'........and threatened legal repercussions!

Maybe it's time for that idea to resurface in a modified (and legal-proof) form? I'm thinking along the lines of holding only positive information on individuals - therefore a LACK of a good record MIGHT infer something naughty, but certainly couldn't be considered defamatory. Just a thought.

Every tree has it's termites. The trick is in establishing which branches are uninfested. If in doubt why not PM a regular for an opinion?

regards
    BC

Originally posted by linegeist
    Maybe it's time for that idea to resurface in a modified (and legal-proof) form? I'm thinking along the lines of holding only positive information on individuals - therefore a LACK of a good record MIGHT infer something naughty, but certainly couldn't be considered defamatory. Just a thought.
    regards

BC

Hi Bob,

Again (as with the "red card" system) this is not only possible, but relatively easy to set up using the "new" BBS software.

I've left an open offer in the Red Card thread to the Admins, as well as sending a PM to Edward (unanswered) offering the details - perhaps when they're more used to the new software they'll reconsider my offer?

Details of the "trader rating" system below, as taken from one of the other fora I frequent..

Geordie

How do I leave feedback when buying / selling from another member?

About Feedback
    Every forum member has a feedback rating which is displayed as a rating number in parentheses. If you click on the number a window pops up displaying comments from other members they've bought from, sold to, or traded with.

For example: Bob (12) means that the forum member with the user name Bob has received positive feedback from at least 12 other forum members.

How it works
    The feedback rating system is easy. You receive:
    +1 point for each positive comment
    0 points for each neutral comment
    -1 point for each negative comment

When to check it
    Before you negotiate on an item, you can check the seller's feedback rating by clicking on the number next to the "Trader Rating", or from their profile page. Sellers may also want to view the feedback profiles of potential buyers to see how reliable they've been in the past.

How to leave it
    After you make a sale,purchase, or trade, remember to leave feedback for the forum member you bought from or sold to via their profile page. This helps everyone in the community know what it's like to deal with that member.

Notes:
    Feedback cannot be erased. The feedback you give is permanent, so be sure to make only fair and factual comments. Giving false or inaccurate information will more than likely get you banned from the forum. If somehow you did leave incorrect feedback, please contact a forum Administrator.
    Last edited by Geordie; 27-02-2004 at 01:34 PM.

woosty Guest
    I wouldn't have a clue about the technical or admin side of this, but wouldn't a feedback system something like be do-able?

Originally posted by woosty
    I wouldn't have a clue about the technical or admin side of this, but wouldn't a feedback system something like be do-able?
    That's what the code for the above example does mate

woosty Guest
    Told you I didn't have a clue...

zooankski Guest
    the style rating is a good idea-i have never dealt with anyone on there who has less than 95% positive feedback-its a useful tool.

Originally posted by Geordie
    Hi Bob,

Again (as with the "red card" system) this is not only possible, but relatively easy to set up using the "new" BBS software.

I've left an open offer in the Red Card thread to the Admins, as well as sending a PM to Edward (unanswered) offering the details - perhaps when they're more used to the new software they'll reconsider my offer?

Details of the "trader rating" system below, as taken from one of the other fora I frequent..

Geordie

How do I leave feedback when buying / selling from another member?

About Feedback
    Every forum member has a feedback rating which is displayed as a rating number in parentheses. If you click on the number a window pops up displaying comments from other members they've bought from, sold to, or traded with.

For example: Bob (12) means that the forum member with the user name Bob has received positive feedback from at least 12 other forum members.

How it works
    The feedback rating system is easy. You receive:
    +1 point for each positive comment
    0 points for each neutral comment
    -1 point for each negative comment

When to check it
    Before you negotiate on an item, you can check the seller's feedback rating by clicking on the number next to the "Trader Rating", or from their profile page. Sellers may also want to view the feedback profiles of potential buyers to see how reliable they've been in the past.

How to leave it
    After you make a sale,purchase, or trade, remember to leave feedback for the forum member you bought from or sold to via their profile page. This helps everyone in the community know what it's like to deal with that member.

Notes:
    Feedback cannot be erased. The feedback you give is permanent, so be sure to make only fair and factual comments. Giving false or inaccurate information will more than likely get you banned from the forum. If somehow you did leave incorrect feedback, please contact a forum Administrator.
    Excellent idea , just cause one system falls by the way side theres no need to chuck the baby out with the bathwater , There has to be a way of rating and getting positive feedback before u buy , I've spent £300 on here this last week or two 150 of which was sent cash(Special delivery of course) I never knew the people but treated them with the same trust I would like others to treat me with , it would of been a lot more comforting if I was able to look at a users profile and see 10 or 12 happy purchasers and know I was getting a good deal and my money wasnt about to go MISSING . I do feel for new users though they could be as honest as the day but would be perhaps alianated by some schemes . I had a situation a while ago when I sent something off by recorded delivery sent the guy the ref num and after 2 or 3 weeks it still hadnt arrived , the person in question was very understanding and patiant but it was a situation where accusations could of abounded and mud flung but eventually the parcel got there and was stamped from 3 weeks or so previous , but the are times when situations dont go as planned and we do need to wait before we accuse or rant on about another user.

Kev. (Cambs.) Guest
    Hang on a sec guys, you are making this much too complicated.

Whats wrong with the good old dog & bone, landline NOT mobile. Assuming the seller/buyer answers in person you know they 'exist'.

With regard to feedback, most buyers/sellers have some history with other BBS members, therefore why not ask for references. (EDIT : Honestly, I had not seen BC's glowing testamonial before typing this )

Instead of sending cash (IMHO you must be mad ), why not consider setting up Paypal account or similar electronic transfer.

I must admit all my transactions (sale & purchases) on the BBS have always been via cheque, except one high'ish value sale which was face to face and therefore COD 'cash in hand'.
    Last edited by Kev. (Cambs.); 27-02-2004 at 02:56 PM.

FT Shooter Guest
    Originally posted by linegeist
    I might be old fashioned, but I wouldn't send money or goods to somebody I didn't 'know', regardless of circumstances, unless I was prepared to risk their disappearance.
    regards
    BC
    It works both ways I suppose. People seem to think its reasonable to wait for payment first before sending the goods but then the purchaser has taken all the risk.
    I must have been lucky because all the deals I've done on here, most of them for several hundred pounds worth, have been faultless.