Thread: Steyr v's Shandell 40+

Steyr v's Shandell 40+

I want to qualify the posting of this thread in the general section, before a MOD moves it to the long range one or deletes it. The owner of the gun I was shooting today cannot access the long range section of the BBS, and so in that he may be able to comment or add to this post I've placed it in the general section therefor he and anyone else who may be barred or unable to veiw the long range section can read or comment on it.

I was up at my club's (Juniper Green) outside ground today. There were a few of us up there to try out some long range shooting and a little bit of tidying up. I had with me my Shandell 40+ (running around 33 ftlbs) and my GC2. The other members up there were Kenny (figjam) Neil (digitaldwarf) Neils brother, Don, and my Dad.
    We have a set up backstop at 100 metres and so after a little bit of shooting on the normal range we decided to try for the long one. There were a few different targets up and with myself shooting at one and Kenny shooting at another we got on with it. I was using Kennys Steyr LG110HP with a Leupold 6-18x40 on top and Kenny was trying the Shandell. After a couple of shots we realised that we were getting some half decent groups so we went and put some fresh paper up and actually tried it seriously. After a couple of shot I realised I was onto a good thing and after 3 more decided to call it and go up and have a look. So we went up to the backstop and saw that I'd shot a half decent group, I managed to cloverleaf 4 shots and had one flyer, putting my drivers licence up for a comparison we took a pic group with license. Back at the firing point we got the measuring tape out and took a couple of piccies we also put in a pellet for a size comparison as well.
    Piccie 1
    Piccie2
    Myself and Neil up at the target backstop

Afterwards we chronoed the Steyr and it was 11.25ftlbs at 115bar, I'd been resting on the clubs Targettronics PM-1 chrono, pellets were AA field 4.52 and they were straight out of the tin (most likely reason for flyer), there was minimal wind and I was picking my shots between what small gusts there were.

Incidently the Shandell was only giving us 3 shot groups then there would be flyers opening up the groups to 2 inchs or so, the pellets weren't selected or checked so at this power that would be the most likely reason for this. I'll weigh up a batch and get some good ones and try again.

Garrick

digitaldwarf is offline A big boy did it and he ran away!
    glad to see the pics up

i am happy to stake my reputation on the authenticity of the above pics
    would have shown you all my eforts but im a poor shott and missed the paper

this stuff is only obtainable if you are able to shut out the outside world and concentrate fully on the task
    any one who has watched Garric shoot will testify that he can do just that

he didnt even smell my fart until he finnished
    DONT BEAM ME UP SCOTTY I'M HAVING A CR__.__..._......

Thumbs up

That's superb Garrick, Juniper Green is a great location for attempting this being so well sheltered... Nice one!

Amazing shooting...It goes to show that some people are better than others at long range...would like to see if you can repeat this a few times!!
    SIHFT Winners 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - AND 2014....2015..2016...oh look back at green...running out of colours! Ha!

Grayling is offline Lego Leggaed letch and Lohan Lover with added Moist
    An Englishman & Scouser born & bred AND PROUD!
    Some nice shooting Garrick from 100 metres aswell , I'd be pleased with that group at half the distance . Three questions mate why did you feel the need to justify posting your IMHO Airgun related post in the Airgun related section and whats a SHANDELL and why are pals of yours unable to post in this section . I've not been following this ''Long range'' debate although I enjoyed the recent magazine article. I saw kenny's (Figjam)s name and read on....... Couldn't post a piccie of that SHANDELL mate could you so I can see what it looks like.
    THERE IS A LIFE IN PEACE AND STRIFE THAT WE ALL HAVE TO LIVE, WE GIVE OUR BEST THEN GO TO REST, WHEN WE'VE NO MORE TO GIVE.
    Co-founder of Treats 4 British Troops

Great stuff Garrick. JG 100 yard range is certainly proving itself.
    You just had to come up and show us how to do it. Safe flight back to south England.
    David.

figjam Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by blackscale View Post
    Amazing shooting...It goes to show that some people are better than others at long range...would like to see if you can repeat this a few times!!
    LOL....the problem is garrick shoots like this constantly. Garrick is a great friend but not only that he is a superb shot.

He has this really annoying habit of being able to concentrate and put all his effort into the task at hand but unfortunatly he does so whilst making it look effortless

As to the comments made about JGARC being a good location, was it hell yesterday, we were having to shoot between gusty varying strengths of wind and i really believe that it was the wind that blew the last pellet (the flyer) off the clover leaf group.

*Grayling* it appears that i can no longer view the long range section for some reason, it appears its not what you type but who you are that types

Open invitation to anyone who wishes to use the 100m range, just PM me and i can arrange it for you.

rgds
    kenny

Quote Originally Posted by Grayling View Post
    Some nice shooting Garrick from 100 metres aswell , I'd be pleased with that group at half the distance . Three questions mate why did you feel the need to justify posting your IMHO Airgun related post in the Airgun related section and whats a SHANDELL and why are pals of yours unable to post in this section . I've not been following this ''Long range'' debate although I enjoyed the recent magazine article. I saw kenny's (Figjam)s name and read on....... Couldn't post a piccie of that SHANDELL mate could you so I can see what it looks like.
    Hi mate

I wanted to justify it so that it had less chance of getting moved. Now there is a dedicated long range section it should really go in there, yet as I said, the owner of the gun I was using (Kenny) cannot view that section so I thought it would be a bit off for me to post up there about using his kit without him being able to read it. I ain't got a clue why Kenny can't post in the long range section, I know there was a lot of tooing and froing about Harrys posts so probably something to do with that, dunno why he would be banned/unable to view that section though, maybe a MOD will come along and explain? I've not been a follower of the Long Rage debate either so don't know the whole deal of what went before, but I got to say I thought it looked like good fun so had to try it. I'm always into trying things like this as it spices up a normal day at the range.

The Shandell is a Air Arms 100 series rifle that was converted by a bloke called Bob Shandell. They were designed to really push the envelope at the time and can produce power in excess of 40 ftlbs hence the name 40+. A lovely gun to shoot there were only 8 made I think, the one I have previously was owned by Terry D and as far as I know was made to his specs by Bob. There is another for sale in the firearms section for silly money and I'd have it in an instant but I'm struggling just now to afford pellets let alone a new gun

Garrick

WOW

The best so far from a UK shooter - you're top of the pile my man

If my memory serves me correctly I remember reading that Bob Shandell passed away a few years back? Please correct me if I'm wrong but it was a massive loss to the airgun world.

Respect to Mr Shandell's ability with his custom rifle making.

Regards

DVS

Yes he did pass away,but it was a good few years ago!