Thread: "we Got Our Shoot"

pest controller,not poacher Guest

Thumbs up "we Got Our Shoot"

YES WE DID IT
    after loads of "no thanks, somebody already controls our pests", we finnally got our shoot, AND me,220 ACRES.BUT. and theres always a BUT, please tell me its because its feb but theres very few bunnies.
    Dont get me wrong, this is what i would consider prime land, loads of fruit trees, plants, veggies, lots of cover, but no bunnies, the place hasnt been hunted for at least two years, and the owner expressed that we pay special attention to the grey squirels. But they are even rarer than bunnies.i.e. 4 trips 7 bunnies sighted, 2shot 1 squirel spotted no shot. Remember 220 acres. DO you experienced shooters think things will warm up, (with the weather(, or is my shoot just a load of b****cks?

napier Guest

sounds like flat land to me

check out the hedge rows find where the bunny's live....scope it out for the pigeon flight path.... and look for the tree rats drays....dont expect to bump into the prey you got to out smart it... flat land with no definition is a bitch to shoot...

the squizzers will be holed up during this cold snap.
    Regards
    Seggy

One of my shoots is literally over-run. But because we've been shooting them for so long they get clever and hide.

One of the main warrens is in a steep earth bank covered with brambles and the like.

I can go out and only see about 5 rabbits in the orchards in front of the bank...

...but with the NV scope when you look into the bank you can see about 20 sets of eyes watching you . I don't bother to shoot them because I dont really fancy clambering through all those brambles uphill at night.

Cheers

Clive

Clive, what you need is a good gundog!!!

Near Wimbledon, SW London, or Lusaka, Zambia
    This is probably the "quietest" time of year on all my shoots - give it a month

Had a shoot like that 200 acres , loads of cover u would think bags of rabbits but in 4 years I only shot about 30 , loads of squirrels there but as Jon has said this time of year is very quiet , squirrels dont hibernate but they do restrict thier movements to an hour or two a day at this time of year . I've 2 shoots now where I know theres lots of squirrels , not unusual to get 4 or 5 in an hour but now very quiet , lucky to see 1 or 2 a day .

nealie Guest
    went out yesterday evening....dont usually do evening shoots.....but biy was it worth it. Bunnies everywhere.......10 shots.......9 bunnies and a magpie......SOOOO pleased with a 100% shot to kill rate. Too cold in the mornings and for lamping at th emoment....but the wildlife seem to soak up that last hour of sun like it's their last...and for some...it was! 8-)

Clanchief Guest
    Have you tried looking at your shoot in the dark,all my shoots are void of rabbits during the day and at night the fields and hedgerows come alive,remember rabbits are mainly nocturnal.

clanchief

pest controller,not poacher Guest
    usually arrive there about 4am and shoot till about dinner, lamping till it gets light, Its about 20 miles away so i can only get there once a week, Ill invite some of you "pro's" down when it warms up a bit, always keen to learn