Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rust spots

Question Rust spots

I have recently bought another AA S410 Classic (s/h), the condition is good but has a small area of tiny rust spots on the cylinder and barrel. Has anyone got any suggestions how to remove these without damaging the blueing?..

RochdaleLad Guest
    If you find out, I'd love to know. My S400's cylinder has some really tiny pit marks too. They're got to be less than a mm across, but you can feel them with your thumbnail.

Weird. Its never been out in the rain, and I don't leave it in a gun slip.

David.

Try polishing with a silicon cloth with a bit of silicone oil, the 'rust' will act as an abrasive and remove the spots, you can also try fine (very fine!) wire wool dipped in oil, these will remove any rust, but careful not to damage the blueing.

Protect the blueing by cleaning with a silicone cloth after use, and removing all finger prints, so the rust will not start in the first place.

Nurek

I'll echo Nurek- make sure you give your gun a quick wipe-down every time you use it. It doesn't even have to be anything as fancy as a silicone cloth- I used an old rag, which is by now saturated in a cheap oil that cost me 89p per bottle. The only restriction is that the oil must be reasonably thick- light machine oil is fine, but WD40 is worse than usless.

adam_thrower Guest
    Just to spread this topic a little further afield, would it be ok to use 2-stroke oil as a lube for magazines, cocking bolts ect? I heard someone mention it. just wanted to make sure.

RochdaleLad Guest
    Originally posted by Doobin
    I'll echo Nurek- make sure you give your gun a quick wipe-down every time you use it. It doesn't even have to be anything as fancy as a silicone cloth- I used an old rag, which is by now saturated in a cheap oil that cost me 89p per bottle. The only restriction is that the oil must be reasonably thick- light machine oil is fine, but WD40 is worse than usless.
    Quite a few people on here swear by WD-40 for wiping over a gun at the end of a session.

That's what I've been using, on the advice of more experienced members than myself

David

Thumbs up

Thanks for the info, will try the silicone oil method. I agree with the opinion regards WD40......Trowel.

NickNick Guest
    For nigh on 15 years I have used WD40 to both clean my guns and as a anti-rust barrier when storing them and they all look as good as new.

Whoops, should have thought before posting that. OK, I'll try again.

Speaking from a mechanic's point of view, and knowing what WD-40 can do as a penatrant, I personally wouldn't put it anywhere near my rifles. From a lubricating point of view, WD-40's effect is only as good as water- it lubricates as well as water, and dries off as quick as water! However, I guess it might have some rust-prevention properties. Use what works for you- I have found light machine oil to work best for me.

Better?

RS Harris Guest
    you could try finnigans rust removing gel from halfords (not the stuff that turns rust black) ive used it on rusty bolts etc and it does work

Russ

Hsing-ee is offline may also be employed in conjunction with a drawn reciprocation dingle arm, to reduce sinusoidal repleneration
    Three-In-One on a nice new J-Cloth. But don't get it inside the rifle, just on the blueing.

bennyblanco Guest
    got some fine brass wire wool and three in one, my mates theoben olympus has been in a damp shed since 1998 and was orange when i got it away from him. took the rust off a treat with a light rub. will need a re-blue eventually but it was heavey rust. dont press too hard though

RochdaleLad Guest
    Originally posted by Doobin
    Whoops, should have thought before posting that. OK, I'll try again.

Speaking from a mechanic's point of view, and knowing what WD-40 can do as a penatrant, I personally wouldn't put it anywhere near my rifles. From a lubricating point of view, WD-40's effect is only as good as water- it lubricates as well as water, and dries off as quick as water! However, I guess it might have some rust-prevention properties. Use what works for you- I have found light machine oil to work best for me.

Better?
    Hehe, ok thinking about it light oil is actually a lot cheaper than WD-40, so from that point of view it makes a LOT of sense..

David - aka Scrooge

wd40

wd40 is not a lube
    w= water
    d=dispersant
    40=the number of days it's expected to last
    gunsmith saying, warm hands rusts guns
    so last thing wipe over with lightly oiled rag
    Gary

napier Guest

Smile gun oil

napier gun oil is self healing...you cant leave a finger print in the oil...if its good enough for factories ie air arms and the gunsmith's purdey(guns up to and over 20.000 quid) then hey thats saying something...good investment is a pack of ten field patches...you can use them more than once just keep them in your rifle bag and use each time you get it out just give it a wipe over when you finish