Thread: Bipod technique?

Bipod technique?

I would appreciate some advice. I have my Falcon FN-19 .20 on a bipod, and I can often shoot 1/2" groups at 30 yards with it. The problem is, shots often seem to go elsewhere, usually to the right or down. I think it's more likely to be a problem with my technique than the rifle, so I would appreciate any pointers on technique. Or if it is the rifle, someone please say!

bennyblanco Guest
    is it a tilting bi-pod? if you are canting to the right the shots would end up lower as well, although not as much as a bigger caliber.

Nope, it's fixed.

Thunderbolt A10 Guest
    Hi Doobin,

It could be 2 to 3 things that causing it.
    First of all, it could be the wind situation that is the problem. Second, your trigger control and your follow through could maybe be much better. And the last thing, it could be a problem with your airgun setup, like a bad scope, loose screws and etc.
    But I think it is more likely that it is one or both of the first 2 problems, you are having.

Rgds,
    Thunderbolt A-10

zooankski Guest
    i agree with a lot of the points mentioned on this thread-i use a bipod on my s410 and i think it can take some getting used to.as mentioned before a good check of the rifle/scope and bipod fixing point before you shoot is worthwhile,also remember-its not a machine gun so both hands on the stock are not required!lol,just a light grip with your trigger hand,i often rest my other hand lightly just below the pistol grip part of the stock but do not grip it .works for me as i acheive consistent groups at 40yrd.

napier Guest

mmmmmmmmm

you may start off with a full charge allowing the pellets some consistancy...as the pressure drops so do the pellets ...low right lower speed and the barrels rifling...hence have you chronoed the gun?
    just work out after how many shots it starts to wander....i can hit 35 70yrd 30mm discs then the power drop occurs throwing mine low and right so i compensate for this allowing another 10 or so hits...its knowing the ballistics of your gun that will make you a better shot... top tip...at any distance never move till your pellet hits the target...dont look for the hit...wait for it

Excellent, thanks for the advice, guys. I'm pretty sure it's my technique, as when I'm relaxed/in a shooting mood, the groups are very good. I do my utmost to ensure good follow through, and only use one hand with a relaxed grip, barely resting it against my shoulder.

Napier- that's a good way of putting it. I'll remember that

Now to get the 2-shot clip and detwanger

napier- just remembered, if your Falcon shoots to the right after a few shots, it could be that the barrel is misaligned at the muzzle end. Try slackening off the front barrel support and allow the barrel to find its own centre (check the rubber ring is in place) and re-tighten.