I now have a Zeiss Victory 6-24x56 T with illuminated 60 reticule. Thank you to those to gave me the nudge to push the boat out the full 9 yards. First impressions out of the box: Its big; its ugly; its a lot of scope.

It is not quite the brick, like my old S&B ?x50 was, so that was a nice surprise. The overall quality does make NF look tacky; it does ooze class. All the knobs and controls are big which may not make it pretty but are there to do a job; loads of adjustment. Clicks on controls are rather refined which is a mixed blessing. Sure its shows refinement but on a cold windy day it may be better if they were a bit more clunky. The adjustment caps locks so they are never going to move unless you want them too; I like it.

The 60 reticule in the second plane is uncluttered and able to give a precise sight picture out as far as you will ever want, 1000m; smaller than any group size a practical rifle will ever achieve. I love it. The centre dot is small so the illuminated reticule, illuminates just the dot, is a must for those very dark background targets. 24x is heaps of magnification and show the atmospheric conditions plenty well enough. It will be rare to need it cranked up that high.

I've yet to do much with it but I can't really see what else I need from a scope. Frankly its going to be a challenge to get the rest of the set up, ammunition, rifle and firer, to compliment the utility that this scope can give.

Finally, it is too much scope for a whole lot of shooting scenarios. It needs to be on a rifle that can handle it, so forget putting it on a light weight sporter. It should be on a tack driver as otherwise you will get frustrated with a perfectly useful rifle/ammo combination that can't match the precision that this sight gives. Hefting it about when most of its abilities won't ever be utilized in the field is a bit silly too. It is truly wasted on anything under 200m.

I'm going to enjoy having it mounted on a Remington 700 5R Milspec 308 (a ??x50 is plenty for this rifle) but it will probably eventually sit on a custom MacMillan stocked heavy 300 winmag or 7mm Rem Mag to reach far far out.