Thread: Quiet in here, init?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Just been going through my springer collection and I reckon there are only two guns I've got that would be any use at long range. One is a Fenman which is currently at Theoben so is not much use and the other is my .22 MkII TX200 which is needing a service, so again not much use. I'll try and get one of them sorted and give it a go as it would be interesting so see what I could get with something that liked to move around, just need some time to sort out things.

Jim looking at the second group I'd say that was mostly down to the magnification being too low, as I think for long range shooting you really need somewhere between 10x and 20x. With more than 20x you can get loss of light and a potential over amplification of your shakes, mind you when I shot FT I never changed my mag from 40x or 32x (depending on the scope I was using either Tasco or Burris) so higher mag might work for you but you will contend with more problems caused by it, less than 10x and you are contending with potentially thick crosshairs and pinhead sized aiming marks.

Garrick

Quote Originally Posted by Gnhouse View Post
    Just been going through my springer collection and I reckon there are only two guns I've got that would be any use at long range. One is a Fenman which is currently at Theoben so is not much use and the other is my .22 MkII TX200 which is needing a service, so again not much use. I'll try and get one of them sorted and give it a go as it would be interesting so see what I could get with something that liked to move around, just need some time to sort out things.

Jim looking at the second group I'd say that was mostly down to the magnification being too low, as I think for long range shooting you really need somewhere between 10x and 20x. With more than 20x you can get loss of light and a potential over amplification of your shakes, mind you when I shot FT I never changed my mag from 40x or 32x (depending on the scope I was using either Tasco or Burris) so higher mag might work for you but you will contend with more problems caused by it, less than 10x and you are contending with potentially thick crosshairs and pinhead sized aiming marks.

Garrick
    I'll bring my 24x over on sunday for him to borrow
    Now got a Lazaglide, the search is over.

Well, I've accounted for some of the inaccuracy - parallax error. It's not an AO scope and I'd focused the objective at twenty seven yards...

Can't believe it's taken me until now to work that out.

Quote Originally Posted by BTDT View Post
    Well, I've accounted for some of the inaccuracy - parallax error. It's not an AO scope and I'd focused the objective at twenty seven yards...

Can't believe it's taken me until now to work that out.

Yer getting OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

going into hiding now

Quote Originally Posted by dbc-65 View Post
    Yer getting OLD!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

going into hiding now
    You can go off people, you know.

I've sorted the parallax problem by refocusing the objective, but the wind has been too strong for any serious long range attempts.

Davy Jones was shooting here yesterday and witnessed me printing a 3" (approx. - didn't bother measuring it) group into a fairly strong headwind, and this morning I managed a 2" group c-t-c with a strong tailwind. Both groups were the only ones I shot on those occasions, and the fliers seem to have been cured by the parallax correction.

I'm slowly finding out how to get the best out of the old HW77 for this long range lark, and I'll post details when I'm sure I've found the best techniques.

May look abit on on top of your HW77, BUT i have a big nikko
    you can borrow, to do some testing.
    Lot of extra wieght though.

ATB
    Dave

Dave,

That's a very kind offer, thank you, but I want to keep the HW77 as is - I rely on it too much.

Jim