Thread: Muzzle loading rifle on shotgun certificate

Muzzle loading rifle on shotgun certificate

I am thinking of taking up black powder rifle target shooting, as I understand the law, a smooth bore breachloader can be legally held on a shotgun certificate.

Any suggestions would be appreciated regarding a good rifle to start with and any dealers, etc.

Up to 2" bore, not less than 24" from muzzle to point of ignition, and it's a shotgun. You can shoot lethal ball on HO approved ranges (unwise if it's choked)
    Last edited by robinghewitt; 15-09-2007 at 08:13 AM.

How To Remove Your Shotgun Chokes

My mate has a modern repro 12g sbs percussion muzzleloading shotgun and decided to try solid ball, but found it very difficult to ram them down into the barrels, (choked), the accuracy was not great, and the recoil was pretty harsh.

The more he shot it, the easier it became to ram the balls down the barrel, the accuracy got better and better and the recoil reduced, now it shoots great using ball although he does get different points of impact from each barrel.

Not recommended to do this, I have visions of barrels peeled back like bananas

I'm not sure what sort of shot pattern it throws out now, pretty wide open I would guess now he's removed the chokes

Ben