Thread: Help with scope for Anschutz mod 54 Bench Rest Shooting

Help with scope for Anschutz mod 54 Bench Rest Shooting

Hi there

I've just got an annie for bench rest shooting.

Can anyone recommend a scope for this discipline?

I don't want to spend very much. I'm considering an X-24 x 50mm objective lens. Will this be too much scope?

I've not started shooting in earnest yet, but would like some help as our club is only just starting out.

Thanks.

I would think that 24x mag would be a minimum for use off a bench, I use a Hawke 10-40x50 target at 40 mag for prone any sights shooting with no probs- you can see the hold pattern so well that I found the cause of a problem that I had been struggling with for the past 20 years when I first put it on the gun use the same scope on an s400 at 24x for roosting pigeons.

Al

Quote Originally Posted by Tasum View Post
    Hi there

I've just got an annie for bench rest shooting.

Can anyone recommend a scope for this discipline?

I don't want to spend very much. I'm considering an X-24 x 50mm objective lens. Will this be too much scope?

I've not started shooting in earnest yet, but would like some help as our club is only just starting out.

Thanks.
    Hey Tasum,

What distance are you shooting at buddy?

Cheers

AD K

The range will be set up for 50 yards to begin with.

We might extend the range if there's plenty of interest. I know it's not exactly long range, but it's a start.

Thanks for the info. I'll start looking for a bigger mag scope.

Cheers

if you can get hold of an leupold 6.5 - 20x efr, they are a good scope with a clear image and fine crosshair. At a more budget level I have seen people do well with simmons scopes the 6.5-20 mag 44 has been used by a few at our club and I have just swaped my girlfriends over to a simmons whitetail classic 6.5-20 *50. Too early to tell if any better yet, but hoping that the brighter image will suit the indoors season.

Hope that helps

Have a look at the UKBR22 website (link in my signature) some good information on here.

25 & 50yrds are the ranges being shot, with Leupold and my personal favourite the Weaver T36 being the most popular scopes.

I have the leupold 6.5 - 20x efr on a silhouette annie
    lovely setup and can give bench resters a nudge

Bob

A friend has good success in bench rest comps with an Edgar Bros 8-32x44 with dot ret. on his mod. 54.

Br .22

Quote Originally Posted by theboymike View Post
    A friend has good success in bench rest comps with an Edgar Bros 8-32x44 with dot ret. on his mod. 54.
    Got the same set up works well for me .

Buxted County HFT Republic of Crowzilla Sussex
    Try this link http://www.6mmbr.com/optics.html

I shoot UKBR22 postal in a couple of air rifle classes over 25yds and use a Bushnell 4200 elite 8-32x40. This parrallaxes down to 10yds and is crystal clear. I only shoot it on 24 mag and find for me although the target doesn't look as close my scores seem better than on the 32. When I bought this scope mil dot was all the rage and I paid to have one put in as I was intending using it for FT. However I find the central crosshair of the reticle a bit on the thick side and live with it however if I was to buy for purely benchrest I would now go for the target dot. Imported from the USA I paid alot less than they want for glass no where near as good over here.

Only thing I have noticed is I now have the rifle worked out and it has been shooting beautifully to the point of aim on 24mag but when I have turned it down to 12 for a different class I have found a 2 click movement to the left. I have a 6-24 so might try it and see if it has the same problem. Or optically centre the scope and use an adjustable scope mount to zero.

Crystal clear.

Andy
    Buxted HFT Garage Guns are Us. Home of Crowzilla Doppers doughnut corner and SiHFT winners 2007 2008 2009 2010 2017 2018 2019.

Thanks to everyone for their input.

I have now been bought a lovely 6-24x50 by my wife from our forum sponsors.

Great scope with a sunshade for £55. Bargain and free to me as it's a gift.

Will post my progress once I'm back from hols and I've got it zeroed.

Thanks again everyone.