Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice on Weihrauch HW90

touching cloth Guest

Advice on Weihrauch HW90

Hi guys, first post here, hope someone can advise.

I'm considering getting a Weihrauch HW90 which will be held on my Northern Ireland FAC. I've found a N.I. dealer who supplies them for £320 and he tells me that the gun will be 26ft lbs. So far so good, however reading on this site I've heard about Hull Cartridge and how they are they are the UK distributor. I called my dealer back and he says that his guns are not Hull Cartridge supplied but come from Europe. He said that the Hull Cartridge thing is not an issue as he stands over the guns and will take care of any problems.

So, what is the story with the power - is 26ft lbs possible/reasonable?
    Is it a good idea to buy an non-Hull Cartridge supplied HW90 in the UK and what are the disadvantages or pitfalls in doing so?

Thanks,
    TC.

Quote Originally Posted by touching cloth View Post
    Hi guys, first post here, hope someone can advise.

I'm considering getting a Weihrauch HW90 which will be held on my Northern Ireland FAC. I've found a N.I. dealer who supplies them for £320 and he tells me that the gun will be 26ft lbs. So far so good, however reading on this site I've heard about Hull Cartridge and how they are they are the UK distributor. I called my dealer back and he says that his guns are not Hull Cartridge supplied but come from Europe. He said that the Hull Cartridge thing is not an issue as he stands over the guns and will take care of any problems.

So, what is the story with the power - is 26ft lbs possible/reasonable?
    Is it a good idea to buy an non-Hull Cartridge supplied HW90 in the UK and what are the disadvantages or pitfalls in doing so?

Thanks,
    TC.
    26ft.lbs from a hw90?....hes yanking your chain mate,the hw80 only does around 20-24ft.lb in .22.

non hc stamped guns aren't covered by hc warranties,basically they aint made their cut on the sale.

Exclamation

You would be crazy to think about that sort of power level from any self contained rifle other than the Theoben Eliminator. I run my HW80 .22-which is a much better rifle for FAC -at 20 ft lb and it is VERY smooth.

As for the involvement of Hull Cartridge, remember that the HW90 is a joint venture between HW and Theoben and any maintenance would probably involve the gas ram so is better carried out by Theoben or Theoben experts anyway.
    If you want a FAC self contained rifle then your best bet is either the Eliminator or the HW80.

Why is it that people seem to feel the need to exaggerate power outputs?? Just daft.
    'It may be that your sole purpose in life is to serve as a warning to others'.

Fluffybuck is offline Member of the .25 cal fan club
    HW website makes the claims of mid-20 ftlb. It is essentially a gasram powered HW80.
    Certainly the hw90 can give 25ftlb, but how accurately and for how long?
    Most people seem to find that about 20ftlb is the maximu ideal power.

If something goes wrong, it should be something that most good gunsmiths could fix, so I doubt it would need to go back to Germany.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by fluffybuck View Post
    HW website makes the claims of mid-20 ftlb. It is essentially a gasram powered HW80.
    Certainly the hw90 can give 25ftlb, but how accurately and for how long?
    Most people seem to find that about 20ftlb is the maximu ideal power.

If something goes wrong, it should be something that most good gunsmiths could fix, so I doubt it would need to go back to Germany.

Fluffy dream on!!! Have you ever fired a 25 ft lb gasram? Of course it is technically possible to achieve that level by pumping up the ram but it would be horrible to shoot like that and I suspect the piston would need recrowning very regularly indeed.
    The ultimate gasram technology is incorporated in the Eliminator not the HW90. If you want that sort of power then don't muck about-get an Eliminator.
    Calling an HW90 a gasrammed HW80 is an interesting one. I don't see it myself. I think the HW90 is a quirky rifle with an indifferent trigger that I have no desire to own let alone uprate. I wouldn't dream of taking up a slot on my ticket with one when Eliminators are so cheap and so much better.

verminshooter29 Guest
    mate that would nt be a dealer from d patrick would it?i had a 90 all be it non fac nice well built gun i think you could get it cheaper if you priced around the dealer in cookstown has one for 300 as far as i know and i thought it was dear.go the extra hog and go pcp you will not regret it much easier to shoot .

I have a TB90 (Theoben took some early HW90's and made them a bit nicer) and it's certainly FAC, been a while since i clocked it but it was doing 22ft'lbs with accupell last time i checked.
    Quite nice to shoot and very accurate.

What dealer is it ?

I wouldn't be too concerned that it's not coming from Hull Cartridge, quite a lot of our guns come via "Frankonia" in Germany, if you buy from a good dealer here you should have no problems.

Drop me a PM if you don't want to name names online

Nick, yes I have fired a 25ftlb HW90. My thumb would tap the end of my nose after each shot - an uncomfortable tap it was too.
    I didn't say that it was an ideal rifle at that power, but it is capable of achieving 25ftlb.
    I agree that the Eliminator would be a better choice.

I think you misunderstood my point, which was that: that the shop owner wasn't lying, but that the HW90 is not ideal at 25ftlb.

Thumbs up

Nick, yes I have fired a 25ftlb HW90. My thumb would tap the end of my nose after each shot - an uncomfortable tap it was too.
    I didn't say that it was an ideal rifle at that power, but it is capable of achieving 25ftlb.

I think you misunderstood my point, which was that: that the shop owner wasn't lying, but that the HW90 is not ideal at 25ftlb.

Fine. I'm staggered that the rifle didn't fall apart at 25 ft lb. As a matter of interest did you chrono it?

Yes, although it was a few years ago....if I remember right, it chrono'd around 25ftlb with JSB 5.52.

I chronoed my dieseling PE AT 40FTLB. Melted the piston seal pdq.
    "Shooters, regardless of their preferred quarry, enjoy their sport for its ability to transfer them from their day-to-day life into a world where they can lose themselves for a few hours". B Potts.

touching cloth Guest
    Thanks guys for responding to my post. I was undecided on this one and am still thinking over my options. Verminshooter29, the dealer in question is not in D'patrick although I did go there and he was charging £60 more for the same gun. I think I'll give the one in Cookstown a try. I must say there appears to be a dearth of decent firearms dealers with a good stock range in N.I. certainly compared to 10-12 years ago when I last bought a gun.

Just befor you tested this gun had you consumed a large amount of alcohol or taken any illegal substances.
    .22 Venom Mach 1 (FAC) 6-25x56 Millett.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Thumbhole 6.5-20x40 Leupold EFR.
    .22 Venom Mach 2 Sporter 4-12x40 Leupold.
    .177 Venom Vantage 4-16x50.
    .177 Venom Daystate 8-32x56 AGS.
    .22 Venom Datstate 4-16x56 AGS.
    .22 Webley Venom FX2000 6-18x40 Busnel Legend.
    .177 Titan MPT by Steve Pope 6-24x40 Tasco.
    .177 Pro-Sport 4-16x50.
    .22 Webley FX2000 3-9x33 Leupold EFR.
    .177 Logan Solo 4-16x50.
    .22 HW90 (spring powered) 4-16x50
    .22 Gamo Stutzen.
    .177 Walther lever action.

Just to add a little to the above- I 'knew' of a hw90 full length that made around 24 ftlb was very consistant but did eat trigger parts on a regular basis.
    However at 18 it was a much nicer gun if a tad non lightweight scoped and silenced.
    Richie
    Last edited by richiehash; 22-09-2007 at 07:35 AM. Reason: brain remembered a bit more

Just clocked mine today and it's doing 650fps with Bis mags, bit heavy but all i had to hand.
    This is an early TB90 and all original.