Thread: 75 yard hazel nut + other long range shots i have made

roblade is offline Time for a coffee........;-)

75 yard hazel nut + other long range shots i have made

OK so this might just barley be classified as lon range target shooting, I await the flaming!

whist at the club on Sunday, I am always amazed at how little people actualy shoot thier nice shiny rifles, so i asked the owner of a nice Styer LG110 if he would mind me having a couple of shots with it, so with a few shots taken to check zero and holdover, I asked the owner whats the smallest target he has hit and he answers Dont know never really triedd it on small things! so i find the target at 35 yards and proced to dot the i's and place full stops on the writen lines as well as removing as many staples as i can see.

I then move down the range for the 75 yard ping pong balls (reactive targets) ok so these are pretty big targets in comparison and when i can manage 4 out of 5 shots on these i tend to get bored, the owner of the rifle is amazed at the accuracy and consistancy of his rifle, so i tell him it can do better than that! so we wonder down the range and place a hazel nut in a clear place at 75 yards (approx) and i give the rifle back to its owner and tell him its between the 3rd and 4th mildot at 20x mag, he is shooting all around it and but still within a few inches, so i borrow the rifle once more and with first shot take out said hazel nut,, i then look for even smaller targets and proceed to cut twigs in half and attept (sucsessfully) to shoot leaves off the lower branches!

but my preference is for long distance springers, i would regulary get 2" groups out to 75 yards with the occasional flyer.

My best shot ever? that would have to be with my little HW95 tuned by baz with about 6" cut from the barrel, running around 11.5flbs mounted with a bushnell trophy 3-9x40 30/30 ret, using JSB exact. A 75 yard golf ball standing unsuported, this was a challenge shot, new member said aint no way you can hit that from here with that, like that! I picked the rifle up took aim and fired, the next words were OK maybe you can!

my problem is i cant replicate this feat, i have wobbled it but never got the solid hit on the first shot, as for shooting at a target as soon as the paper with the spot on it goes down the range it all goes pear shaped, my average grouping with any rifle opens up to around 6 inches, but put a clear bit of paper down there and within 8 shots there will be a pellet touching each staple used and the other 4 "flyers" will be pretty damn close!

I have always been told that (almost) any airgun is as accurate as the person shooting it.

When i first joined the club in Dover it was a regular occurance for targets set out to 100 yards, normaly these would be shot gun shells of variouse sizes, placed verticaly for the begginers and end on for the more seasoned shooters.

Maybe on Thursday I will see if i can borrow that styer again and see what i can manage with it on a clean target I know on a good day i can get sub 2" groups now all i got to do is put my money where my mouth is

ROB
    Last edited by roblade; 20-09-2007 at 04:39 PM.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) the bunnies are coming!
    (")_(") THE BUNNIES ARE COMING!!!!!

to spring? or not to spring? that is the question. oh sod it get them both!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by roblade
    my little HW75 tuned by baz with about 6" cut from the barrel, running around 11.5flbs
    Wow, I wished my old HW75 was as good as that

95 maybe?

roblade is offline Time for a coffee........;-)
    Quote Originally Posted by Nige View Post
    Wow, I wished my old HW75 was as good as that

95 maybe?
    <sigh> theres always one and they always find me

you caught me but i was just checking to see how many peps are paying attention, well its my excuse and im sticking to it!

Yep it was a 95 LOL

<grumbles> bloody ......thing....edit....button

there happy now??????

ROB
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) the bunnies are coming!
    (")_(") THE BUNNIES ARE COMING!!!!!

to spring? or not to spring? that is the question. oh sod it get them both!!!!

sounds like my kind of thing when i go out shooting targets i usually get bored of the paper circles and start on the stones and little objects etc theres always things to shoot
    If i didnt have a Falcon i would have a Rapid