Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: long range pistol

long range pistol

on the subject of long range i shoot at shellford gun club lou moor club chairman regularly shoots a playing card edge ways on at 50mts with a weihrauch hw45 177 pistol bleve it or not

Jim McArthur is offline Frock coat wearing, riverboat dwelling, southern gent

Just SEEING it...!

Lou, that is a terrific feat! At 50 meters, I couldn't SEE it, much less shoot it!

Certainly destroys the myth that air pistols are strictly for close range!

Jim
    UBC's Police Pistol Manager
    "Nasty, noisy things, revolvers, Count. Better stick to air-guns." Sherlock Holmes, The Adventure of the Mazarin Stone

The card shown was hit with a 22 Air Arms field diablo, I will post another pic where I used a 177 "hollow point". The difference is interesting. The curve of the trajectory is different and the cut of the 177 is neater.
    Its amazing what you can do with a gun. Ed McGivern is my hero!

certainly an impressive feat, what are the general rules for distance pistol shooting, rested, 1 ore 2 handed etc?

Matt
    Not sent from an iPhone.

Excellent. I have a Rohm which performs well at longer ranges (.177 RWS Geco/Bisley Practice). Just posted a thread on General Airgun forum asking question re tweaking power output. Bloke who owns/runs the range where I shoot is a champion pistol shooter and reckons pistol shooting is the most demanding. More chance for human error which is why I said Rohm performs well and not me!

Sam Vimes is offline Vanquished a Weihrauch evangelist with a gasram
    Quote Originally Posted by TURIN TURAMBAR View Post
    Excellent. I have a Rohm which performs well at longer ranges (.177 RWS Geco/Bisley Practice).
    Try a quality dome head pellet for ranges in excess of 10-15 yards. I found that flat heads were fine at close quarters through my Rohm but groups suffered in comparison the more you pushed the distance.
    Fabricatum diem, pvnc!

Thanks Sam, will try AA or H&N's which I have supplies of. Steve

I doubt I could do that with my rifle never mind a pistol.

There are no specific rules for long range air pistol because no one believes that you can use them accurately at 50 yds anyway!
    As th HW45 is a springer, I shoot it two handed with elbows rested (but not the gun or your hands) so that the recoil is allowed to occur "naturally". I dont use a backing card for these shots so if I miss I dont know where the shot has gone. When you shoot pistol, the light affects the aim point. Indoor ranges are OK but out doors where I shoot Bright sun or dull sky affects the point of aim considerably. Normally in target shooting the point of aim is below the bull, into the "white" so that you can see the sights. To shoot the playing cards edge on, its best to just have the card without anything behind and aim dead at it. If you dont hit it dead on you just get a slight indentation along the face of the card like a biro line.
    I started doing this because I read that it was impossible to cut the card edge on with (any) bullet and it was all a trick because the card would "give" to the bullet. I fasten the card to a post with one staple in the bottom corner so it is free to flex but as you see, it rips. I think the only reason it doesnt go right through is that at 5 ft pds the pellet hasnt got the energy at 50 yds. Incidentally I cant do it every single shot! but the one I did last time (Wed) was on my third shot.

I thought i had heard just about everything in my time but this certainly tops all.
    A playing card,edge on at 50 metres!,less than half a millimetre thick!.It can't even be seen at that range.
    Now come on,tell us it was placed edge on, on top of a block about 150mm square to give an aiming point first,so you know more or less where it is,and then you would hit it eventually after enough shots,maybe.
    This kind of talk just encourages irresponsible shooting by the more impressionable amongst us.

I can see it.
    How does that encourage irresponsible shooting?

as I said earlier, it is stapled to a post vertically by its bottom corner to allow it to flex. Just because you cant see it .....

you mean you can see the post!!,i defy any human to see .5 of a millimetre at 50 metres,unaided.

It encourages people to shoot beyond their ability and beyond the range of there pistol/rifle, by reading such claims they imagine they can also do it.

are you saying that I am a liar? that I cannot see a card at 50 yds?