Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Deben Lamp Connectors

Quote Originally Posted by some bloke View Post
    Yes Jim. Open out or enlarge each of the male parts so they compress when pushed into the female parts of the plug. If you look closely the "nipples" are formed with a gap in them which allows them to spring a bit. This gap has probably closed up a bit and become loose.
    Indeed but I think they are crap..

They are a pain to use in the field, forever coming undone - usually moments before you slip the shot and all have been cut off on my rig.

I tried the audio lead route even with the type that have locks on them but they were still too fiddly and bulky so i have dropped them out of the equation completely got a few for sale if anyoine is interested in them.

My lamp lead now has a maplins male cigarrette adapter with a female on the battery.

In vehicle it is plugged into the motor and it is a quick pull and push to get you mobile. The charger also need a male too.

Watch your Polarity though and get a decent set of male females - if you try and rob parts from old stuff, I found the male/females sometimes dont work well together.

I am amazed as the last time I spoke to Deben, they said they were "aware of the problems" with their connnectors and were planning to change them.

Most people I have spoken to dislike them as being cheap, nasty and unreliable and it offers no better polarity protection that ciggy lighter set ups offer. In fact in pitch black the ciggy is dead easy to locate and use and is one handed. Not so those mean little connectors deben use.

I cant critise them enough. They suck
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

"forever coming undone"... Is precisely what I said occurs... as a result of being pushed, pulled, twisted, plugged and unplugged and generally flexed around while being trailled about, dragged over hedges etc. "and all have been cut off on my rig". So you changed them for something much larger and unwieldly.

For the chaps that still have them intact this is a way to re-instate their usefullness for free, and keeping it saleable. They won't need to mess about soldering anything either. Blimey - it sounds like I work for Deben

I have an atom that never has the problem, It's self contained on the gun so rarely gets disturbed. I had a well used Mini that was affected this way - even while only walking - till I opened out the nipples.
    For NV spotter and add-on videos, paste > some bloke night vision < into YouTube search bar

Quote Originally Posted by some bloke View Post
    "forever coming undone"... Is precisely what I said occurs... as a result of being pushed, pulled, twisted, plugged and unplugged and generally flexed around while being trailled about, dragged over hedges etc. "and all have been cut off on my rig". So you changed them for something much larger and unwieldly.

For the chaps that still have them intact this is a way to re-instate their usefullness for free, and keeping it saleable. They won't need to mess about soldering anything either. Blimey - it sounds like I work for Deben

I have an atom that never has the problem, It's self contained on the gun so rarely gets disturbed. I had a well used Mini that was affected this way - even while only walking - till I opened out the nipples.
    Nope they were left plugged. Day 1 from the box they kept coming undone. As most o my shooting is done from 4x4 and they werent getting the day to day wear you suggest, I found them to be unacceptable. The sharp corners also mean that they are not friendly to really push together. As fo having to keep prying the ends open so they make better contact ---- WHY?

Since I changed to the male and female ciggy lighters I have not had a single failure. That speaks for itself.

I think we shall have to agree to disagree on this one mate. You think their great, I think they are sh.i.te - thats fair enough
    In a battle of wits I refuse to engage with an unarmed person.
    To one shot one kill, you need to seek the S. Kill only comes from Skill

Instead of the tamiya connectors go for "Deans" connector, much better and more reliable

Tug. is offline is that a ferret in your trousers or are you just happy to see me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy478 View Post
    Instead of the tamiya connectors go for "Deans" connector, much better and more reliable
    Cheers for all the advice guys (and gals)

Maybe more reliable in some applications but I like the lock/clip on the Tamiya's...

I'm already hankering after changing to DC plugs to make it look tidier (but I can probably tidy up what I've got already...)