Thread: What kind of scope on an airsporter?

What kind of scope on an airsporter?

I've finished the airsporter, looks great will get pics up soon, but now need to find a scope that will fit, have the original airsporter scope but it is useless, need a set of mounts that open up to 16mm!!!!

Thumbs up

Quite honestly, I wouldn't bother with a scope. The gun looks great with the iron sights on it and I find mine is great with the open sights to around 30 yds (and my eyesight is cr*p these days!)

Happy Shooting,

Paul.

well till i get rear sight that options out

Red face

That might just make a difference!!!

I'm good but not that good!

Thumbs up

As you might have guessed by my user name, an Airsporter was my first gun and the only one I owned for about six years. I used to shoot almost every night, weekend and all through school holidays. As a result I really did not need the sights - it just became an extension of my right arm. It was only when I started to get other guns that my shooting went downhill (and its continued that way ever since!!!!

A great gun though and I'd recommend everyone to get one. I still think it is one of the most attractive underlevers (prosport apart maybe.....).

Happy shooting.

Paul.

Well when you see mine you may fall in love

mounts

Hi Wildoliver

Sportsmatch do make some mounts to fit the very wide dovetail. I bought a set last year from one of the dealers that advertise in AGW. I then fitted a 3-7x32 tasco scope that is quite heavy but has not moved in the shallow dovetails.
    The bad news is that the mounts were not cheap - about £24
    I hope this helps. You could also try J Knibbs International at Shustoke near Coleshill

With regard to the rear sight; have you tried calling at, or phoning a few gunsmiths(older type businesses, that do repairs). I needed a rear sight for a mk11 Airsporter a couple of years ago. I called in at Melbourne Guns and Tackle and the assistant pulled out a box full of sight spares and there was one to fit. He charged £5 and included a number of other sights and bits and pieces that have also proved useful

I agree with Airsporter 1st, that the gun looks better without scope and I would go so far as to say that IMO.the Mk1 and Mk11 Airsporters are the most attractive air rifles money can still buy
    I have another (mint) Mk11 that I would not fit a scope to and it shoots pretty well with open sights even at 50 yards(bench rested of course)
    Incidently , many Mk11's with new springs are very pellet fussy. JK sells 5.6mm Marksmen pellets just for the old type British air rifles. I know that Marksmen are not the Rolls Royce in the pellet world,(more the Trabant) but these pellets have 5.80 to 5.90mm tail diameters, and if you have time to sort out the 5% or so bad ones (with vernier or mic.) then they group very well at long range.
    A weaker spring in a Mk11 enables you to use many of the 5.5mm pellets available.
    Enjoy the rifle, I look forward to seeing the pics
    John
    hold me back !!

Question

Quote Originally Posted by pennineway.fswo View Post
    Hi Wildoliver

Sportsmatch do make some mounts to fit the very wide dovetail. I bought a set last year from one of the dealers that advertise in AGW. I then fitted a 3-7x32 tasco scope that is quite heavy but has not moved in the shallow dovetails.
    The bad news is that the mounts were not cheap - about £24
    I hope this helps. You could also try J Knibbs International at Shustoke near Coleshill

With regard to the rear sight; have you tried calling at, or phoning a few gunsmiths(older type businesses, that do repairs). I needed a rear sight for a mk11 Airsporter a couple of years ago. I called in at Melbourne Guns and Tackle and the assistant pulled out a box full of sight spares and there was one to fit. He charged £5 and included a number of other sights and bits and pieces that have also proved useful

I agree with Airsporter 1st, that the gun looks better without scope and I would go so far as to say that IMO.the Mk1 and Mk11 Airsporters are the most attractive air rifles money can still buy
    I have another (mint) Mk11 that I would not fit a scope to and it shoots pretty well with open sights even at 50 yards(bench rested of course)
    Incidently , many Mk11's with new springs are very pellet fussy. JK sells 5.6mm Marksmen pellets just for the old type British air rifles. I know that Marksmen are not the Rolls Royce in the pellet world,(more the Trabant) but these pellets have 5.80 to 5.90mm tail diameters, and if you have time to sort out the 5% or so bad ones (with vernier or mic.) then they group very well at long range.
    A weaker spring in a Mk11 enables you to use many of the 5.5mm pellets available.
    Enjoy the rifle, I look forward to seeing the pics
    John
    Apologies for hijacking the thread. I would like to try the Marksmen - who is (are) JK?

Marksmen Pellets

Hi
    JK is John Knibbs International(on Web)
    He wrote a couple of good books on BSA's, the second of which is The Golden Century which is well worth buying - quite a bit on Airsporters.

His earlier book on Lincoiln Jeffries air rifles is no longer available new

He keeps spares for the old BSA's and stocks quite a lot of old and new air rifles
    He also more recently bought the Webley Spares and can supply spares for most of the old Webley air rifles and pistols. He also has quite a few Webley air pistols for sale
    His shop is at Shustoke near Coleshill not far from M42/NEC and worth a visit if in the area.
    He is not cheap but does have a good stock of spares for old and new air rifles/pistols.
    John
    hold me back !!

Red face

Thanks John. I know of John Knibbs but for the life of me I couldn't think who JK referred to. Old age I guess!!