Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: MRE's and ration packs

MRE's and ration packs

Anyone know where the cheapest place for the American MRE's and the British army 24 hour rations would be in the UK ??
    And don't say join the army

Acenorth. is offline Extreme Ironing World Record Holder.
    Join the Air Force
    Nil Satis Nisi Optimum
    Don't assume anything.... It makes an ASS out of U and ME

Shaggy Guest
    Join the Navy

my 2 sausage bags full of them in my garage. they must be well gone by now though. even the indistructable rat packs of the british army. they where 10 years old when we got them in kosovo, back in feb 99.......not even the mice have bothered with them....or maybe one did......hes still glowing !! lol
    try your local army surplus store.....
    A Sapper is someone who quenches your thirst if you require a drink in the desert. If you need to cross the fastest river he will bridge that gap, and if the path ahead is too much to bear, the Sapper will guide you through holding your hand. UBIQUE is his motto - for he and his family have been everywhere.

If you're in Basingstoke, you're already in urban guerilla territory, so you might be better placed than I.

Ask around Aldershot, and you will get all the **** rations you can't eat. It sounds to me like you want to be a "Survivalist", so survive.

Very best of luck with your quest.

check this link out, or failing that do a google search under ration packs

link
    A Sapper is someone who quenches your thirst if you require a drink in the desert. If you need to cross the fastest river he will bridge that gap, and if the path ahead is too much to bear, the Sapper will guide you through holding your hand. UBIQUE is his motto - for he and his family have been everywhere.

Sid Guest
    Ration packs appear on , but for daft prices, don't buy them

Here is a review of a ration pack.......it may help

Advantages :-

Boil in the bag breakfast main meal and pudding, minimal fuss, don't taste that bad to me, can be squashed into a combat jacket pocket

Biscuits, Fruit are nice, as is the oatmeal block, the chocolate is usually a weird colour and looks like it's possessed by aliens but it hasn't killed me yet. The blue wrapped chocolate is nicest IMO

The breakfast meals are the tastiest, or the least horrible depending on your point of view. In my opinion.

Disadvantages :-

Biscuits, Brown are useful only for stopping armour piercing rounds - whatever you do - don't eat them

The tinned Pate has been tested on my wife and several cats. None of them expressed a desire to eat any more than the first mouthful. I didn't like the way it seemed to be oozing grease out of the tin, even with a 2002 packing date. Could make good bait for rats, if they are starving

NEVER touch the 'orange powder' in the drinks pack. A squaddy mate of mine calls it 'Screetch' which makes sense to me. It will instantly cripple you with horrific heartburn and is inserted into ration packs by Al-Queada sympathisers to reduce the fighting capability of UK forces

Thanks guys.
    franktheferret I grew up in Farnborough and the school I went to was on the F'boro/Aldershot border and had lots of kids whos parents were in the forces. It was strange even as a kid I always had some sort of army rations on me, Sid you are definately right about the brown biscuits though the fruit biscuits were quite nice as were the little tubes of Rolo's they included at the time.

Aaahhh Memories
    Biscuits Brown AB
    The finest Anti-Personnel Biscuits on the planet.

Ogri the trog
    Improvise, Adapt & Overcome

domestos Guest
    nothing stops the runs like the biscuit AB

RemMag is offline We're getting married, Weevie and me.
    Don't laugh, but I actually Like biscuits brown!

Alex

Gone but not forgotten Guest
    Yes, but then you're going to be a Royal Marine! THEY eat their dinner between two plates - like a sandwich!!!!

Press-ups in the gym? Nah, do 'em with the gym on yer back like a man!!

regards
    BC

Screech.....hehe

The Army surplus store near me in Brum sells the 24hr packs for £7. I use them whenever I'm out on a camp/hunt, they're lighter in weight than a case of beans!
    They are generally 01 - 02 packing date ( I scoffed all the ones packed last century!)

Mmm oatmeal block

Dazz

nobodys mentioned the boiled sweets!

RemMag is offline We're getting married, Weevie and me.
    Yes, but then you're going to be a Royal Marine! THEY eat their dinner between two plates - like a sandwich!!!!
    Shhh. Don't tell anyone Bob but the only reason I'm joining is because the Sergeant who came to my school said you got FOUR cooked meals a day while you are on the Commando course.

ATB
    Alex