Thread: Progress---Sterling HR81 0.22" Cal

Bury,Lancashire, about 12 miles north of Mancheste

Progress---Sterling HR81 0.22" Cal

A short update for those who replied to my previous thread (29/7/07) regarding the difficulty of grouping with this rifle.
    I can now hit reliably 2" dia. swingers at 35 yds using a Tasco 4-16 scope at 12x mag and using AAField pellets, but the concentration needed is far greater than with other rifles of the same period IMO. AA Field group better than others and these are giving 10.8/10.9fpe. I still think it is an odd, quirky rifle, but not impossible to enjoy.

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by Pagoda113 View Post
    A short update for those who replied to my previous thread (29/7/07) regarding the difficulty of grouping with this rifle.
    I can now hit reliably 2" dia. swingers at 35 yds using a Tasco 4-16 scope at 12x mag and using AAField pellets, but the concentration needed is far greater than with other rifles of the same period IMO. AA Field group better than others and these are giving 10.8/10.9fpe. I still think it is an odd, quirky rifle, but not impossible to enjoy.
    As a fellow HR81 owner thanks for that my friend, very interesting -- especially the bit about AA pellets. Yep these can group well once you are used to them, and as for your closing comment I couldn't agree more which is why we as collectors love 'em . Atb and thank you for the up-date -- greatly appreciated . Gareth W-B.

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.

I find fitting a bayonet helps with overall balance of the Sterling also firing from the hip whilst running seems to improve grouping. Can't understand why they made them so light, scoped mine cant weigh more than 10lbs!
    "Putting a country take on things..."

Gareth W-B is offline Retired Mod & Airgun Anorak Extraordinaire
    Quote Originally Posted by exmoor beast View Post
    Can't understand why they made them so light, scoped mine cant weigh more than 10lbs!
    ... Yeah, I know ... Ended up having to tie two old cast flat irons to mine just to stop it from floating away ...

Done my bit for the BBS: http://www.airgunbbs.com/showthread....-being-a-mod-… now I’m a game-keeper turned poacher.