Thread: LP10 Pellet velocity

LP10 Pellet velocity

Hi all,
    I have recently purchased a S/H LP10 which i picked up at the weekend and fired it through the Chrono with some 7.7 & 8.2gr match pellets......

Whoops, she was firing these at 600fps which of course makes it illegal

The question i have apart from how to adjust it as i can already see which screw was turned is what is the ideal setting to go for, i will only be using the R10's in those 2 weights and primarily shooting 10m and maybe 25 yrds so is there a optimal value it should be set too?

Thanks

BTW I have reset it to a legal level.

the law says set to sub 12 ftlbs with any pellet. try bizmag and other pellets including accupell and hobbys.
    if you get a reading over 12ftlbs (at any time of your powercurve its illegal.)
    turn the power down. most have it at 11 ftlbs or 10.5 ftlbs.. with most pellets. magnums make it around 11.7 ish.
    Good deal, Paramainiac 20-05-07
    Good deal, Snipperuk 11-09-10
    Good deal, Skygrowler 13-10-10

Thanks for reply, this is of course only a pistol with a 6lbft limit

I dont have many pellets nor will i be shooting anything else apart from R10's so maybe setting it at 450fps would be best at this would then be around 3.50 ftlbs

Cheers
    Air Arms S410 carbine, camo dipped
    Steyr LP10 Target Pistol

Lp10

Harry Preston is the agent/authority on Steyrs, however I have a LP1 and several of my shooting friends have LP10's

(To contact Harry use Steyr web site)

We set them at the club at about 540-550'/sec using 7 gr. RWS R10's
    This is the velocity that was recommended.
    There was an excellent article on Steyr pistols on the web that compared group sizes at 20 yards using just 1 type of pellet but varying the velocity between 500 and about 560 '/sec
    Group sizes did vary slightly and I think the optimum velocity came out somewhere about 530-540'/sec, but all shots were 10's on the PL15 target
    Harry and Steyr used to recommend the Exact wadcutters made by JSB

I would say 450'/sec is too slow particularly if you are shooting the 20 yard discipline and on an outdoor range
    John
    hold me back !!

Hi John,
    I had emailed Harry but not yet received a reply but thanks for info, i did find a reference to it being set at 150 - 164 m/s at the factory, this works out at the 540fps you mentioned but to err on the side of caution i set it to the lower figure of of 150 m/s or 500fps last night, i don't have any scales to weigh them so can only go by the printed weight on the tin.

Do you have a link to the web site with that article?

Thanks
    Phil
    Steyr LP10 Target Pistol

tenrings

try:
    www.tenrings.co.uk and go to 20 yard testing
    The accuracy of these Steyr pistols is very impressive
    John
    hold me back !!

efletch91 Guest
    Damned. 600 fps is illegal in the UK? That sucks. Here in the U.S. there is no velocity restrictions and airguns are unregulated. It is not uncommon here for air rifles to reach muzzle velocities in excess of 1000 fps.

No 600fps is not illegal and if the pellet was 7gr then that's fine, but 600fps with a 7.7gr or an 8.2gr pellet is illegal as the force required to send a 7.7gr at that speed would be 6.16 ftlbs.

The UK limit for pistols is 6ftlbs...

Cheers
    Steyr LP10 Target Pistol